PDA

View Full Version : How much does you hubby/partner help out?

Jelly Baby
22-04-2010, 08:39 AM
As of May when the new children start dh will input a lot more.
It will mean him having then twins between 8-30 and 9am while i do the school run and again at 3-4pm but hey will be asleep then (hopefully!)
Currently he helps as and when needed but this is kind of a set thing and today will be the first afternoon he has them.

So how much and what does your OH do to help you or do you cope on your own?!..have to say if i do lose the boys he wont need to help at all which may happen..oh and he is registered as my assistant!

Thanks x

~Chelle~
22-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Hubby doesnt help at all!

He works in London, we love in Kent and he leaves at 7.30am and gets home at 8.30pm:(

I am lucky if he puts the dishwasher on! lol

cuffleygirl
22-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Not at all - a complete hinderance - I hate working when he is at home! He will moan to me about the kids - funnily enough he never moans about the money I bring in though!

Heaven Scent
22-04-2010, 09:13 AM
HUH!!!!!! You're havin' a laugh aren't you!!!!!!:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Mollymop
22-04-2010, 09:14 AM
My hubby doesn't help me with minding as he is not registered as my assistant like yours is - but in general housework, etc - he never helps out - but he doesn't get home til 6.30pm and is out the house all day, but still no matter how I nag him to help with anything he never lifts a finger:mad:

RedDragon
22-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Not at all - a complete hinderance - I hate working when he is at home! He will moan to me about the kids - funnily enough he never moans about the money I bring in though!

SNAP!!!!!!!!

angiemog
22-04-2010, 09:19 AM
My husband is a shift worker so I can't rely on him being here. But when he is :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I put him to work. I only have 1 little boy to collect from school (he's our nephew) so generally if I have 3 under 5s aswell I send my hubbie on the school run it is just easier for us if he goes.
After lunch I start changing nappies and my hubbie takes them upstairs one by one for their nap. I do cope on my own but it's lovely to have an extra pair of hands when they are available. I like him coping on special outings with us as again I like having an extra pair of hands. I did however have a fab day when I took 2 x 1 year olds, 2yrs and 4yrs to a farm.:clapping: :clapping: it was the 1st time I had taken 4 that young and very proud of myself too. I also met another childminder there who liked my emergency contact cards hanging from my rucsac :D
He is registered as my assistant !

WibbleWobble
22-04-2010, 09:21 AM
my husband is wonderful (get the bucket out i hear)
he doesnt have any children of his own and not much interest either. But

he devises all my paperwork...i give him a scribble on a bit of paper and he makes lovely templates for me.
he did my excell speadsheets so all i do is click a box to say if a child attends and this generates the invoices, gives me an idea of the tax to save up for and works out the all the gas, elec, poll tax etc.

he also helps tidy up if he gets home and it looks like a bomb has hit it. he feeds me brufen for my back and makes lots of tea. he will wash up too if there is kiddy stuff to do.

on top of this...he will hoover, clean, wash and do the DIY if it needs doing.

This sounds like i am a lazy :censored: but i do do all this too...its a matter of "mandys busy so i will do this to help her"

as i type this (i should be doing SEF) he is putting some washing on

he is not my assistant but the kids i mind just love him....especially the little boys. They love his motorbike

mandy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mrs_F
22-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm not cm'ing yet but my hubby is great, he works all day and will still help with the cooking and cleaning. :)

WibbleWobble
22-04-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm not cm'ing yet but my hubby is great, he works all day and will still help with the cooking and cleaning. :)

it helps when they support you. My hubby says hes not keen on kids....then when you see him with them i dont believe it. Even when they are not here he is thinking about them....we go shopping and he will see something and say "Oh B would love that" or he will disappear into his shed and come out with something to keep them safe eg a gate to stop them getting to the bins and the greenhouse.

Leanne59
22-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Dp doesnt help at all as he is not here!! he work away all week, goes 4am monday and comes home 5pm friday!

The Juggler
22-04-2010, 09:40 AM
my dh is fab. he'll come in do the dishes if I'm still working and then start hoovering. If I have to run out to college or for a ngiht out he'll tidy all the toys away too.

I can't complain and all the mindees love him:)

LOOPYLISA
22-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Im not cm anymore but when i first started he was very supportive in getting me up and running :thumbsup:

Even now after working a 12 hr day, more sometimes he comes home and helps, even runs MY bath :blush: :D

There are some good men out there :thumbsup:

cabby
22-04-2010, 10:00 AM
i have to say steve is fantastic, before he goes to work he walks the dog, makes the bed unloads (or loads) dishwasher and puts a load of washing on:clapping: during the day i do as much as i can depending on how many lo's are here, hanging washing out, sweeping and mopping floors..etc, he doesnt usually get home till about 6.00 but he will still come in and do what ever needs doing, our kids have to help out a lot as well, scott( hes 16 ) works the washing machine better than me:blush: he sorts all the washing out in to ironing and underwear piles then puts it all away, they both have to tidy the kitchen after dinner as well:clapping: :clapping: all in all it a real team effort, but it did take a while for them to realise that just because im here all day i cant always keep the house tidy, and that i am working!!!

nearly forgot, the best thing is steve ALWAYS does the ironing:clapping: :clapping:

little chickee
22-04-2010, 10:01 AM
My hubby is not registered as an assistant so derives great pleasure from the fact that he does not have to change any nappies!

He is home at lunchtime on a friday and the wee boy i have on a friday just adores him! Lo will chose to be with hubby rather than me and hubby is very fond of this lo and will get on the floor to play with toys with him or sit him on his knee etc.

He supports me fully with my cm and knows that the extra money really helps - if i wasnt minding i probably wouldnt be working cos i want to be home for my boys.

Hubby regularly puts washing on, loads and emptys dishwasher, does dishes, cooks tea once or twice a week and generally helps around the house - he also works an up to 12 hour day and coaches the local kids football team!

mushpea
22-04-2010, 10:05 AM
My partner is registered as my assistant and will sit in the garden whilst i cook the mindees tea for them but thats about it really.
I dont ask him to do the school run because i was told that even if he is registeerd as my assistant and even if i have written permision from parents that he cannot be left on his own with the children think this may have somthing to do with not having a first aid cert but not sure, those of you that let your partners collect children i would check this out and be careful

Bushpig
22-04-2010, 10:13 AM
DH is very supportive, My absolute rock. We haven't been able to have kids together and he is just fab with kids, which breaks my heart.

He works in Central London and leaves at 6:30am latest, is back by 6:30pm usually. If he gets in from work before the kids go home, they are so excited! He drops his work bag and immed sits down, they clamber on to his lap... and he reads to them. He then asks if I've taken the poo bags out yet, if not, he'll do it.

He hoovers, loads and unloads the DW, does whatever needs doing. Cooks roasts on the wkend (I cook during the week), fixes whatever needs fixing (he single handedly renovated our first flat).

We just muck in and do whatever needs doing, together. We BOTH work full time, we BOTH look after the house. :thumbsup:

It's a partnership in every way.

LOOPYLISA
22-04-2010, 10:16 AM
DH is very supportive, My absolute rock. We haven't been able to have kids together and he is just fab with kids, which breaks my heart.

He works in Central London and leaves at 6:30am latest, is back by 6:30pm usually. If he gets in from work before the kids go home, they are so excited! He drops his work bag and immed sits down, they clamber on to his lap... and he reads to them. He then asks if I've taken the poo bags out yet, if not, he'll do it.

He hoovers, loads and unloads the DW, does whatever needs doing. Cooks roasts on the wkend (I cook during the week), fixes whatever needs fixing (he single handedly renovated our first flat).

We just muck in and do whatever needs doing, together. We BOTH work full time, we BOTH look after the house. :thumbsup:

It's a partnership in every way.

Exactly, thats what my hubs say its a patnership :thumbsup:

cabby
22-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Exactly, thats what my hubs say its a patnership :thumbsup:

same here:D

Daftbat
22-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Mine is brilliant!:clapping:

He walks the dog at 630 beofre he goes to work and then works all day and gets home at 430 smack bang in the thick of it. He straight away helps with anything he can - clearing the table, helping the kids with games, homework. The mindees all jump on him when he gets home - they love him and he loves the attention. I regularly work in to the evening and he always helps then. Sometimes we have two mindees who are 9 years old who parents work in the NHS and, with the permission of the parents, he takes over the care of them if i have a governors meeting to go to etc. He also goes to our own children parents evenings if i can't make it and ferries our own children around to scouts, pony club etc - will even go to Sainsburys if i give him a list.

On the whole i couldn't do my job without him - he used to be registered himself when i worked more at weekends and was a community childminder but he isn't any more.

My parents all recognise his support too which is great. I honestly believe that you can't do this job and really enjoy it without the support of your partner and children. I have two daughters who are fab at coping with a housefull all the time. I don't think i tell them all enough how much i appreciate them all - so going to do it later when they are all home:thumbsup:

Daddy Day Care
22-04-2010, 11:53 AM
My wife isnt my assitant so doesnt help with the minding, but if shes off when im working she will take care of our children so i can concentrate on the mindee which really helps a lot.

Gareth
xxx

FussyElmo
22-04-2010, 11:57 AM
When he's good I can't fault him however when he's bad he is totally useless :)

NaggyNat
22-04-2010, 12:00 PM
My hubby is fantastic! He gets home at midday (starts at silly o clock). He is a golfer and he has said he won't play on a Wed or Thur as they are my busiest days. He is brilliant with the children and they love him! He does arts and crafts, cooks and all sorts but won't change a nappy lol!

He is even thinking seriously about becoming a minder himself and working as a partnership. I hope he does because he is a natural!

I am so lucky!!! :)

ajs
22-04-2010, 12:04 PM
as a hubby and father i would change nothing about my husband, he loves and supports us and is loyal and dedicated to keeping a roof over our heads, even when made redundant in 2001 he worked really hard to get work so that we could keep the house.
He is working full time now and doing his MBA Masters too
that said as a domestic God he is absolutley useless unless he sets his mind to it.

he also works away all week leaving on monday morning and getting home friday night
He is very good at diy but with doing his degree he doesn't have time for anything other than that so nothing gets done unless i organise and pay for it.

i am not entirely sure he knows where the washing machine is kept ( in the kitchen) and certainly not the hoover.

teacake2
22-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Mine is not my assistant but the kids always want to be with him when he comes home from work, he can't play much with them, or do much around the house as he is disabled and cannot walk very much, he has a wheelchair to use sometimes and one of my mindees also has one so they go out together sometimes up the driveway to look at the cars, mindee even had to have one the same colour.
I have to do all the washing, ironing, cooking, decorating because he can't stand for long but he is a dab hand with a duster.
Since I had problems with a trapped nerve in my neck though, he will insist on driving me everywhere as I sometimes find that my arm goes into spasm, so not really confident at driving at the moment. (Over a year now).
I see him sometimes looking at me doing everything (we can't afford to have someone in to do all the things that need doing) and he looks really sad that he can't do this anymore and then that makes me feel really down thinking about the things we used to be able to 30 years ago. Still we both said in sickness and in health when we married 36 years ago and I think it shows that we meant what we said.
Sorry I have snapped out of it now, I do tend to go all soppy sometimes, I blame it on my age.
Teacake2

candy cat
22-04-2010, 12:33 PM
mine is Mr wonderful too!!

monkey62
22-04-2010, 01:13 PM
my husband is wonderful (get the bucket out i hear)
he doesnt have any children of his own and not much interest either. But

he devises all my paperwork...i give him a scribble on a bit of paper and he makes lovely templates for me.
he did my excell speadsheets so all i do is click a box to say if a child attends and this generates the invoices, gives me an idea of the tax to save up for and works out the all the gas, elec, poll tax etc.

he also helps tidy up if he gets home and it looks like a bomb has hit it. he feeds me brufen for my back and makes lots of tea. he will wash up too if there is kiddy stuff to do.

on top of this...he will hoover, clean, wash and do the DIY if it needs doing.

This sounds like i am a lazy :censored: but i do do all this too...its a matter of "mandys busy so i will do this to help her"

as i type this (i should be doing SEF) he is putting some washing on

he is not my assistant but the kids i mind just love him....especially the little boys. They love his motorbike

mandy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

May I have your husband ...... when you don't need him anymore:jump for joy: :jump for joy: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

maisiemog
22-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm quite surprised by how much my hubby helps. I thought he would be useless but he's been fab so far. He does everything for our dd so that I can concentrate on my mindees which is good, also helps me tidy up etc but I have to bribe him to do a lot of stuff!

Not sure how long he'll be so helpful once the novelty of me minding wears off though!

caz3007
22-04-2010, 01:20 PM
My hubby isnt too bad. He has a late lunch so he can collect our DS from school, so I dont have him hanging around whinging about the wait for the older ones. He makes me a cuppa every morning and on the rare occasions I dont have to get up until 7 he brings it to me in bed.

He cooks dinner and emptys the dishwasher and if I have had a pig of a day he will tidy the toys away too. He baths our DS and puts him to bed most nights.

He doesnt see mess though in other rooms and has no idea of cleaning the bathroom, although I cant complain really, can I

mama2three
22-04-2010, 01:46 PM
DH works his bot off at work , and commutes 3 hours for the privelige , often out 15 hours a day.

So i shouldnt really moan about how little support i get.

but i do.

mamasheshe
22-04-2010, 02:56 PM
MY DP is pretty good but needs prompting ! he is far better at cleaning tidying than i am and will help out with most things if asked!

ajs
22-04-2010, 03:19 PM
DH works his bot off at work , and commutes 3 hours for the privelige , often out 15 hours a day.

So i shouldnt really moan about how little support i get.

but i do.

know how you feel though kath

Blue Boy
22-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I don't know if Sally will answer this thread so I will blowmy own trumpet. I gave up a full time job of 35 years to work full time as a childminder and have got to say it is the best thing I hav everdone.

Thisis whereyou all reach for the sick bucket:rolleyes: I do all the ironing and when you hav 3 DD's of your own under the age of 17 there is plenty. I enjoy doing it I put myself in our bedroom and put the telly on (its the only time I get to watch the programmes I like!).

Jelly Baby
22-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Aww that's lovely to hear you have such lovely support!

My dh is fab and does what i ask/tell him lol!..on a serious note though he does do a lot considering he works full time too so i am lucky. I am sure there are lots of partners who dont like the idea of children everywhere and i'm glad mine isnt one of them!

I don't like relying on him too much though which is why i never take on too much to handle on my own..after all this is MY job i guess.

Tonight the mindees have gne and the lounge is clear (hence me on here early!)..he was cooking dinner for me but i said i wasn't hungry so that's good.

Thanks for the replys x

Chimps Childminding
22-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Anyone want to swap husbands, mine does NOTHING :angry: He gets up (after me having made tea and his sandwiches for the day) goes to work. Comes home usually between 5 and 5.30, turns on laptop and tv and that's where he stays until its time for bed :angry: will occasionally bring his plate out and sometimes even put it in the dishwasher, but as for anything else not a chance!! No housework, no gardening, not even cleaning the car :angry: Does DIY as long as its not expected during the cricket season :D

I work from 7.30 till 6 ish every day, have 4 teenage sons and mum who is in the latter stages of alzheimers as well as being blind, so I am over there quite a lot. Untortunately my lot seem to think that as I am a home all day it doesn't count as work. Youngest wanted a lift to gf's today and couldn't seem to get it into his head that as one was asleep at the time and 2 needed tea I couldn't drop everything and take him :rolleyes: .

Sometimes I wish I went out to work, but then I panic that they still wouldn't do anything to help and I would have to do it all when I got in :panic:

Roseolivia
23-04-2010, 06:16 AM
My partner is supportive of me working from home but he's absolutly no use at all. He has his own building business so is relly busy anyway but if he's home through the day he'll usually lock himself in his little room for a 'rest':angry:
He does no housework, washing etc and only washes up if it's piled up. His job is very physical:angry: like ours isn't

tracey36
23-04-2010, 06:19 AM
my husband will talk to the little ones briefly but thats about it wont actually help out there lol but is great with helping me tidy up at the end of the day or cooking dinner if i look to frazzled :)

onceinabluemoon
23-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Don't have a hubby but do have 2 teenage sons who will help out by playing with LOs / keeping an eye when I run to the loo or at the park when 3 run off in different directions etc.

Could do the job without them but they make it so much easier and much more fun. Both under 16 so not registered as assistants etc but I wouldn't hesitate to employ them in the future if they wanted it as they are so good with the little ones.

mama2three
23-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Don't have a hubby but do have 2 teenage sons who will help out by playing with LOs / keeping an eye when I run to the loo or at the park when 3 run off in different directions etc.

Could do the job without them but they make it so much easier and much more fun. Both under 16 so not registered as assistants etc but I wouldn't hesitate to employ them in the future if they wanted it as they are so good with the little ones.

Actually i have got an amazing 16yr old son too ( think ajs wants to steal him!) , he is brilliant with the kids and helps at home too. My 15 year old helps , very slowly , in true teenage 'kevin' fashion and very reluctantly. Although he was playing knex with mindee at 730 this morning. Ill be lost when they go off to uni in a couple of years!

Bushpig
23-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Carolyn, I wouldn't make him that packed lunch. It's really sad that they don't see your work as *work*.... would hubby notice if you stopped your *work*. I bet he would!

'he also works away all week leaving on monday morning and getting home friday night '

Mands, I wasn't aware of this. I don't know how you do it tbh. I battled being in Nottingham for ONE night without him, wuss that i am :blush:

I once had a design job where I stayed on site for 5 nights (4 star hotel in Godalming I say!:D )... enjoyed the work but hated being away from home and him.

Tink
23-04-2010, 08:37 AM
My husband helps me loads bless him. He is currently unemployed but he loves playing with the kids.
He does all my accounts that's my downside and he's always printing me off things to do with the mindee's.
I don't know what I'll do when he finds a job.

watgem
24-04-2010, 04:47 PM
my hubby doesn't do much round the house BUT, he does listen to me moaning about paperwork, Ofsted etc and he always charms Mrs O and usually engages her in a debate about caring for young children:)He even defended Childminders and sang our praises when one of his customers said that her childminder was ripping her off by charging her £5.00 per hour for minding 2 children-bearing in mind she was a lawyer! So he told her exactly what being a childminder involves and apparently she was gobsmacked and said the law should be changed, so he said well you're a lawyer you do something! I was so proud of him.:) the mindees love him and my teens and 9year old too

Desi-101
24-04-2010, 10:04 PM
With the kids nada, nil, zilch and zip etc... getting the house up and ready for Ofsteds first visit he was amazing! nailing holes in fence, stair gates, fire gates, fire blankets hoses, garden being safe front gate you name it he did it my hero!!

He still says I am a saint with our ds it would have driven him gaga long ago! he does the odd saturday and sunday nappy, breakfast (usually pkt crisps or biscuit :eek: for me to have a lie in but thats it!)

twiggy
25-04-2010, 03:37 PM
My husband is one of my registered assistants and is great with the children. I only use him when my regular assistant is off and then he has to take holiday from his job to help me. When he comes home from work he cooks tea for the family and on a Friday night when I'm working he does all the housework.

I'm very lucky.

emma04
26-04-2010, 03:52 PM

This could easily have been my post!! lol xx:laughing:

theplayroom
26-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Hubby doesnt help at all!

He works in London, we love in Kent and he leaves at 7.30am and gets home at 8.30pm:(

I am lucky if he puts the dishwasher on! lol

Ha same here although my hubby stays away most the week and when he is there he just gets under my feet winding everyone up! :laughing:

Gizmo
26-04-2010, 04:56 PM
during the week my dh doesnt really do much, but at the weekends he does all the cooking, always cleans the en-suite and makes sure my glass is kept topped up lol hes not a bad soul really :clapping: