PDA

View Full Version : Sun cream question

snufflepuff
21-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Another post on here has just reminded me of something
If a parent does not provide suncream and a hat, even though i have reminded her, what should i do? Would you put your own suncream on LO or keep them indoors?
Its a bit awkward because i could use some of my son's suncream but i dont see why i should- it costs a bomb and LO could be allergic to it. But its obviously not practical to stay indoors!

miss mopple
21-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I would put some of my own on tbh. All of my parents are happy for me to do so and no kids have alleries so its not a problem

could you provide a bottle and bill them for it if you are worried?

louisepretty
21-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Never use cream that the parent hasn't supplied. If they have an allergic reaction and you don't have permission to apply that cream you won't have a leg to stand on.

In our area we now have to treat suncream the same as medicine. The parent signs to give us permission to apply and then initials a sheet every time we apply it.

My sun protection policy states that children will not be allowed to play outdoors without adequate protection. Parents know I will keep their children inside and are very good. I insist on them keeping a bottle of suncream at my house and some even leave spare sunhats.

I sound like a complete control freak but I'm not, honest :laughing:

snufflepuff
21-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Never use cream that the parent hasn't supplied. If they have an allergic reaction and you don't have permission to apply that cream you won't have a leg to stand on.

In our area we now have to treat suncream the same as medicine. The parent signs to give us permission to apply and then initials a sheet every time we apply it.

My sun protection policy states that children will not be allowed to play outdoors without adequate protection. Parents know I will keep their children inside and are very good. I insist on them keeping a bottle of suncream at my house and some even leave spare sunhats.

I sound like a complete control freak but I'm not, honest

Thats exactly what i was thinking! I used to work in a nursery and we would never have used anything on a child that hadnt been sent in by their parents. Its in my policies that parents are expected to provide it.
Perhaps i need to put something on my newsletter about having to stay indoors if they dont have adequate protection.

monkey62
21-04-2010, 09:25 PM

That seems a very good idea, at a moment I use mine if parents don't suply, But I have permition form for that and a parental declaration saying kids are not allergic at any suncream.

nokidshere
21-04-2010, 11:00 PM

If a parent has signed to say their child doesn't have any allergies and they are happy for you to use your own suncream then it wouldn't be a problem. I would never keep a child indoors because of lack of cream - and if they were allergic to mine I would simply go out and buy the one they use and bill the parent for it.

mushpea
22-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Its ok to say you will keep them in but what about if you have 3 children all from different familys and 2 bring cream and one dosent? its not fair to keep them all inside and awkard if ones in and ones out and what about the school runs? you cant keep them in for that.
I am going to be sending out a letter this week requesting hats and cream although i have already asked anyway but they will sign to say they have had a copy of the letter so no excuses, if they dont bring cream they will go outside as i have no choice but i will do my best to keep them in the shade.

miss mopple
22-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Our pre school did a letter recently with a request for £2 per child if we wanted them to use their cream on the children through the summer. It was specified what cream would be used and we signed to say it was ok. Maybe you could do something like that? If all parents made a donation them you could buy a big bottle for all the kids maybe?

angeldelight
22-04-2010, 06:24 AM
Our pre school did a letter recently with a request for £2 per child if we wanted them to use their cream on the children through the summer. It was specified what cream would be used and we signed to say it was ok. Maybe you could do something like that? If all parents made a donation them you could buy a big bottle for all the kids maybe?

Thats what I do

I buy an extra large bottle and get parents to sign to say its ok for me to use on their child

Half my parents never bring suncream or they tell me not to bother using it :eek:

Works out better this way

Angel xx

PixiePetal
22-04-2010, 06:31 AM
I supply a bottle for all to use, parents sign for me to use it or are welcome to provide their own.

When I go out I would rather carry 1 bottle of mine than 4 or more separate ones.:rolleyes:

sweets
22-04-2010, 06:48 AM
i'm going to ask parents to provide a bottle for at home but when we go out and about i am not lugging 3 bottles of the stuff around so i'm going to ask parents to sign to say that that they can use mine.

must get it sorted this wkend:blush:

moogster1a
22-04-2010, 08:24 AM
it's April in England. these poor kids are going to get rickets if we never expose them to the sun. I'm waiting a good couple of months until the sun actually feels slightly more than tepid before I start slathering chemicals on them!

snufflepuff
22-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Its ok to say you will keep them in but what about if you have 3 children all from different familys and 2 bring cream and one dosent? its not fair to keep them all inside and awkard if ones in and ones out and what about the school runs? you cant keep them in for that.

very good point- but at the moment its just one mindee and my son. Id be very annoyed at having to keep my son in but id rather that than have mindee get sunburn- shes only 15 months and babies have such sensitive skin- even with the best will in the world it can be hard to keep them in the shade all the time.

Also, i transfer suncream in to one of those small pump bottles you can buy, to take with me when we go out. so i'd do the same for mindee.....if mum ever brings her suncream ofcourse!

The Juggler
22-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Thats exactly what i was thinking! I used to work in a nursery and we would never have used anything on a child that hadnt been sent in by their parents. Its in my policies that parents are expected to provide it.
Perhaps i need to put something on my newsletter about having to stay indoors if they dont have adequate protection.

On my permissions form, I have a section for , in an emergency is it OK to use minders own suncream, nappy cream, wipes. Most parents have ticked OK.

Mollymop
22-04-2010, 09:12 AM
On my permissions form, I have a section for , in an emergency is it OK to use minders own suncream, nappy cream, wipes. Most parents have ticked OK.

me too. I have had to use my own suncream on the children in the past. But most parents have been good at bringing their own most of the time. x

TheBTeam
22-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I supply a bottle for all to use, parents sign for me to use it or are welcome to provide their own.

When I go out I would rather carry 1 bottle of mine than 4 or more separate ones.:rolleyes:

Same here I tell the parents who ask which one I use, with the proviso that in emergencies I may use another in use by another childminder, but if they wish any specific one to be used then they need to supply it. I would rather buy a few quids worth of suncream over the summer than rely on the parents to put it on or supply it, same as with baby wipes i prefer the convenience of carrying one lot, to lots of them!

I use ambre solaire factor 50 and buy the bottles when they are on bogof/half price so about £6 a bottle.