PDA

View Full Version : School runs

manjay
21-03-2008, 07:44 PM
What's the most amount of children you have for a school run? and do you ensure their safety.

amanda xx

ruby
21-03-2008, 07:53 PM
we can pick up 6-8 after school
but only 2 are under 8 these walk with us the rest walk in front
they know to wait at the corners untill we get there

there is only one road to cross and we all cross together

have to admit they are very good ( or well trained as some one said to us the other day )

school is only a 5 minute walk from our house.
Cathy

Monkey1
21-03-2008, 07:55 PM
I often have the 4 under 5's and up to 5 overs! Luckily they are all pretty good and sensible. They know when they need to wait and i carry a whistle....when i blow it they know to freeze!

Lou
21-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Ha Ha sorry Monkey i hae a mental picture!!!

Sometimes i have about 6 or 7, they are all great.................except mine lol

manjay
21-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I often have the 4 under 5's and up to 5 overs! Luckily they are all pretty good and sensible. They know when they need to wait and i carry a whistle....when i blow it they know to freeze!

What a fab idea. One day a week I have 7, after Easter it will increase to 8 and then in September it will be 9! I just want to plan it properly as I will have a 1 year old, 2 year old, 3 year old, 2 four year olds (at full time school) a 6 year old, an 8 year old and 2 9 year olds :eek: The three youngest will be in the pram and on a buggy board. Is it acceptable for the 9 year olds (both really sensible) to walk holding the hands of the 4 year olds?

amanda xx

miffy
21-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I think it is Amanda

My older ones often hold the younger ones hands - they are very protective

I think it helps the older ones learn responsibilty although I would never make an older one hold a younger ones hand

miffy xx

manjay
21-03-2008, 08:09 PM
The two 9 year olds (one is my dd) are girls and they love helping me with the little ones

amanda xx

miffy
21-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh I've just read my last post back - I wasn't suggesting you were going to make the older ones hold the younger ones hands

O heck I'm explaining this badly! I hate type when I just can't type what I mean :panic:

Hope you understand Amanda

miffy xx

Kelly
21-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I have three little ones (two in buggy one on swiss bibi bike) and pick up three 5-8's they have the next lamp post rule, they can run on to the next lamp post then have to wait for me. Our school route is very safe and it allows them to run off a bit of steam before we get home.

Kelly

manjay
21-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh I've just read my last post back - I wasn't suggesting you were going to make the older ones hold the younger ones hands

O heck I'm explaining this badly! I hate type when I just can't type what I mean :panic:

Hope you understand Amanda

miffy xx

Don't be daft! Of course I understand. I was just confirming that the girls were quite happy to help :thumbsup:

amanda xx

miss muffit
21-03-2008, 09:15 PM
I walk to school with 4 under 5's (have variation) + 2 under 8 and 1 over 8 and dont we get some funny looks!!! even the odd person asking if they are all mine...as if!!! :)

miffy
21-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Don't be daft! Of course I understand. I was just confirming that the girls were quite happy to help :thumbsup:

amanda xx

Phew - that's OK then

Miffy xx

Tily Bud
21-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Ha Ha sorry Monkey i hae a mental picture!!!

Sometimes i have about 6 or 7, they are all great.................except mine lol

this is exaxtly the case with me , the mindees are great its just my two :eek:

sarah707
22-03-2008, 09:00 AM
I take a maximum of 4 on the school run just now... one in a buggy, 2 holding on and an 8 year old who walks to the side of us... I am lucky the school is only a few minutes away and the pavements are wide...

We do have a road to cross though and the 2 year old is prone to bolting off, so I use reins for him. :D

LittleMissSparkles
22-03-2008, 12:02 PM
the most I have is 4 one over 8 and 2 scholers and then 1 2 years old then my dd and ds if that makes any sense !!!!

deeb66
22-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't look after any after schoolers anymore nor do I do any school runs.

When I did I used to have three under 5 (2 in a buggy) two over 5 plus Jack who was over 8.

So the most I have ever done is 6 kids in total.

As I said I had 2 in a buggy and the other under 5 walked holding onto the buggy.

The others were fairly sensible and knew my rule that if they couldn't see me that meant that I couldn't see them.

They also knew to stop at the kerb and wait for me to catch up before crossing the road.

I think as long as you set out the rules and boundaries with the older one's you will be fine.

susi513
22-03-2008, 02:49 PM
I had 10 once. Never again though! The walk back from school was uneventful - it was the chaos that followed indoors that put me off!

Under fives are either in buggy or holding buggy or my hand. The others I allot them all a partner and they walk in pairs in front of the buggy. Oldest child/best behaved gets to be the leader and walks in front - no-one else is allowed to go past the leader. The leader stops at landmarks (kerbs, corners, trees lampposts) and waits til we all catch up. No-one crosses the road til I say so- we all cross together. Older ones accept this when I explain that while I trust them to cross safely, the little ones might follow them even though it may no longer be safe to do so.

I'm a meanie in the playground. Other kids are allowed to play on steps and get in the way of the teachers or run around the playground but I make everybody stay next to me. Its easy for parents with only one or two to watch to keep an eye on them but if I start letting mindees do the same I'd need eyes all round my head to watch all mine!

Sometimes children are used to running by the roadside with their mum/dad but they soon get used to my rules. I tell them I don't care how old they are, if they don't follow my rules they get to hold my hand - this encourages them to walk sensibly!

crazybones
22-03-2008, 02:55 PM
My 4 yr old mindee is an angel when he is with me. He does NOT let go of the buggy, even to the point that I am struggling to get through a shop doorway and have to ask him to let go. I walked with his mum and him once OMG :eek: He was everywhere, in the road, up drive ways and all sorts. She was frantic trying to control him. How do you cope? she said. Like this I said. "Show mum how we walk to school". He came straight to the pram and held on all the way up the road. She was amazed as she has "lost" him so many times. He plays her up something terrible.

flora
22-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Have'nt at the mo, but normally have 6. Two in the double buggy 2yrs old and 2.5yrs. 2 5/ 6yr olds and a 10yr and 9yr old.

My dd nearly 2 likes to walk halfway home so gets out and I have her on reins or her brother or the 9 yr old fight to hold her reins, they then walk beside me and Harry pushes the double buggy or I do. We fight over who pushes that as well you see :D

The 5/6yr olds run ahead, but we play stop go on the way home so they know how far to go. It's only a two mile walk and normally passes without event :thumbsup:

ajs
22-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Have'nt at the mo, but normally have 6. Two in the double buggy 2yrs old and 2.5yrs. 2 5/ 6yr olds and a 10yr and 9yr old.

My dd nearly 2 likes to walk halfway home so gets out and I have her on reins or her brother or the 9 yr old fight to hold her reins, they then walk beside me and Harry pushes the double buggy or I do. We fight over who pushes that as well you see :D

The 5/6yr olds run ahead, but we play stop go on the way home so they know how far to go. It's only a two mile walk and normally passes without event :thumbsup:
only a two mile walk
:panic:

flora
23-03-2008, 12:00 AM
[/COLOR]
only a two mile walk
:panic:

Our track to the road is half a mile!!! Then we have to walk to the village. Doesn't take that long and my dd 2yr old can wallk all the way and half the way back if she feels so inclined. My 2.5yr old stays fimly sat in the buggy and only ever gets out when we reach the last field before home :laughing:

Do you not like to walk????