PDA

View Full Version : Help on Holidays please ....

annie7
21-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi

I have a childminder who charges me 4 weeks (her holiday) as full pay and 4 weeks (my holiday) at half pay. She will not allow me to take my holiday at the same time as hers, even though I have to take holiday from my employment to cover hers. Im not sure how she expects me to cover 8 weeks off. Is this normal practice? I have read a couple of forums where the childminder works with the parent ... she seems reluctant to do this. Help????? Is this standard?

Look forward to hearing from anyone about this ..

Many thanks

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
21-04-2010, 03:02 PM
hi,

I charge full pay for the childrens holiday (4 weeks) and half pay for my holiday (4 weeks).

The parent can take their holidays when they want!

With my holiday i discuss it with the parents so they can check that they can get a family member to look after their children or get them booked into early mornings at their nursery, and maybe tweek the dates to help them out.

Also if a family are taking 2 weeks leave at easter and i plan on having a week off at the same time then we share the leave.

I only have 2 families that i mind for so it is easy for me to do this where as some child minders have 6 families so it would be more difficult.

sillysausage
21-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Sounds a bit strange, ..... are you certain you've understood her correctly?
is she wanting to take 8 paid weeks off?

I think most childminders are glad when parents opt to take holidays at the same time as them. I give my mindees up to a years notice of what weeks I plan to take so that they can choose when they wish to take holiday themselves. I charge half pay for my holidays and full pay for any time that parents take off when my services are available, which obviously encourages parents to consider holidaying at the same time as me for both convenience and cost reasons.

monkey62
21-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I do not charge anything for my holiday( I'm self employer I'm not employed by the parents so I can't expect them to pay me, and also the parents must pay someone else to care for a child, so they will end up paying twice - which will be unfair)
I do charge full price for parents/children holiday (as I keep a place open for them)
If parents manage to get them holiday in the same time with myself then that is bonus for them - I'm not charging because if I do, I will have to be available to work in case they need me, if they holiday get cancel or anything similar.
I'm realy sorry to hear you have problem with your childminder, hopefully you will manage to sorteds out this issue.

sandy64
21-04-2010, 03:33 PM
doesnt sound very fare to me i would of thought it would of been easier to have hols at same time. i dont charge when im off and if 4weeks notice is given i charge half for parents hols. i may disagree with this but if you signed contract to agree this that is what will happen unless you can review contract and change to suit you both or maybe youl need to find another c.m good luck hope you sort it out:)

wendywu
21-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I dont charge for my holidays, so if parents take theirs when i have mine they dont pay anything. If they take theirs at another time then they pay full.

I dont think a minder has the right to tell you when you can or cant take your holidays. What would she do if you booked it regardless !:eek:

To be honest i would say to her lump it or like it. There are plenty of good CM out there who would work with you. :thumbsup:

Andrea08
21-04-2010, 03:38 PM
we all work differently... i charge half for both sides taking holiday/time off

so if we take time off at the same time there is one set fee.. and every1's a winner...

go bk to your childminder and as her to go through it all again and look at your contract as it should be stated in that..

let us know if you have sorted it out
x

wendywu
21-04-2010, 03:41 PM
[
QUOTE=annie7;693107]Hi

. She will not allow me to take my holiday at the same time as hers, even though I have to take holiday from my employment to cover hers. [/QUOTE]

This is the bit that i think is wrong. :mad:

Polly2
21-04-2010, 03:53 PM
That doesn't sound right to me either! Surely she can't dictate to a parent when she takes her holiday :eek:

I would have another chat with your cm just to check.

Hebs
21-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I have 4 weeks paid holidays and parents are charged full fee when away but i give plenty of notice of my time off and it makes no difference to me if our holidays are at same time or not x

huggableshelly
21-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I am right at the other end of the scale as do things my way and it suits me.

i charge nothing for my hols as parents have to make alternative arrangements but i aim to take 4 wks off of my choice.

parents pay nothing for their booked time off providing they have geven me 4 weeks notice. no notice = full pay for booked in contracted hours.

If I were you I would get out the contract and look for where it states the holiday arrangements (page2/3). if this states that she has 8 weeks paid leave then there isnt much you can do, if it doesnt then ask to see her fee policy and again question this.

if still no joy then start looking for alternative childcare arrangments.

mamasheshe
21-04-2010, 05:54 PM
i charge full for theirs
nothing for mine
so i have a family that's going on holiday the same time as me and two that aren't doesn't make any difference:thumbsup:

i know some do half and half up to the CM i think I'd question why you can't have holiday the same time may be a misunderstanding xxxx

zoe2010
21-04-2010, 06:00 PM
im also charging no fee for my holiday but full fee for there hols if not taken at the same time as mine

sarah707
21-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I do not charge parents if I am on holiday - they have to find alternative care.

I think maybe you need to sit down for an urgent contract review.

Please let us know how you get on... and welcome to the forum :D

grannyang
21-04-2010, 06:12 PM
i dont charge for my hols but make sure that i give them plenty of notice to find alternative child care i personally dont feel that it is right to charge for a service that i cant provide but i charge half fees when my parents take there hols and they also give me plenty of notice this works well for me and my parents but it is something you have to decide with your cm and she will put this in the contract hope you can work something out with your cm if not i suggest you you look else were there are lots of good cm s out there as you will no doubt find out using this forum

Chimps Childminding
21-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I am the same as most, I charge half for their holidays and nothing for mine. I give parents a list at the beginning of the year with the majority of my holidays and as much notice as possible for any not arranged at the beginning of the year. If parents choose to take their holidays at the same time as me they don't pay!

Does the CM take her holidays in the school holidays?? (not that it makes any difference), but that would be totally unfair if she does and then tells you that you can't have the same holidays as her :angry:

Hope you manage to get things sorted :thumbsup:

green puppy
21-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I dont think a minder has the right to tell you when you can or cant take your holidays. What would she do if you booked it regardless !:eek:

To be honest i would say to her lump it or like it. There are plenty of good CM out there who would work with you. :thumbsup:

I completely agree with this. I also do not charge for my hols but charge full fee if parents holiday at a different time, I hope you get it sorted out if you are happy with the rest of her service.

WibbleWobble
21-04-2010, 08:49 PM
i dont charge for any days off i need to take (holidays and appointments) but i do charge parents for the childrens odd days off and hols. if they take their hols whilst i am off then thats great...means they dont have to find someone else (who may be even nicer then me ...i dont think so:blush: )

i let my parents know as soon as i can about time off....always at least 4 weeks in advance.

mandy x