PDA

View Full Version : EYFS or B23?

MissTinkerbell
21-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I've just started my registration process and according to my local children's services team the earliest I can hope to be registered by is end of June.

Being an ex-Early Years teacher I'm up to date on the EYFS and had been using it in the classroom for a term even though its not statuory until Sept. 2008.

Would I be OK, do you think to start working with the EYFS when I start minding as I'm familiar with its format, observations and stuff having been working with it for 16 weeks and having attended 4 training courses or start with the B23, which I know nothing about and doing the EYFS in Sep?

MM

jmoff
21-03-2008, 07:13 PM
hi

I would say yes to EYFS as you won't be inspected before December?(6 months +)

Good luck woth your registration.

Jana x

avril
21-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi
I agree EYFS no point learning something new for a few mnths and as already said you more than likely won't be inspected before Sept '08.
Good luck.

Avril x:)

MissTinkerbell
21-03-2008, 07:17 PM
That's what I thought as it seemed silly for me to trawl through the B23 stuff when I have the EYFS stuff sitting in the drawer and have been on the courses.

Melanie

Tily Bud
21-03-2008, 10:05 PM
i agree with above as its unlikely you will be inspected before september i would just do eyfs x

miffy
22-03-2008, 07:51 AM
I agree with the others

You'll be able to give us some tips then :)

Miffy xx

MissTinkerbell
22-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Tips - I'll certainly try:)

As a teacher we found it not a great deal different from the Foundation Stage Curriculum. Guess the big headache was offereing the 'outdoors classroom' and making sure children had access at all times - no great fun in December!

Observations were fine and I'm hoping will be a lot easier with just a couple of children rather than 15. We were advised to use post-it notes and a document wallet to put them in plus any photos of pieces of work we wanted to include - then update each child's personal profile at the end of day/week. Did a 2 day course on observation, so if I can help in anyway I will do.

I'm also hoping that the 50% child-centered and 50% adult led activities will be easier as I won't have a head teacher telling me that I can't do 50% child-led activities and that we should be doing 80% adult and 20% child :angry:

Guess that's the main reason for giving up the teaching and doing childminding - I can have much more control over what I do plus I think that my own twins (aged 2) will benefit from the experience because I shall do the same activities for them.

Melanie

buildingblocks
26-03-2008, 12:51 PM
hi I would say yes to EYFS as you won't be inspected before December?(6 months +)Good luck woth your registration.Jana x

Not necessarily I know someone who was registered and was inspected within a month.

Oh and I would yuse the EYFS as to be honest I doubt whether your area would be running B23 courses as I know ours aren't