PDA

View Full Version : When to do contracts for new mindees?

grindal
21-04-2010, 12:34 PM
I need some help please!
Since I started minding last April I have looked after the same little boy 4 days a week. All has gone well, but, mum wants him to start in nursery full time in September. She is confident he will get a space.
Some new parents came to see me yesterday and want me to look after their daughter 4 days a week from Sept- same days, term time only perfect! But, do I need to wait until I have notice from first mindee before I can sign contracts for new mindee?
Mum of my current mindee is aware of the situation and is happy to give me written notice as soon as nursery have confirmed with her - but I would hate to loose the new, but would also hate to sign contracts with the new people and then not have a vacancy to offer :eek:
Any suggestions?

HELEN10
21-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't usually draw up contracts untill they are about to start. You could take a deposit though, which you can credit against new parent fees in Sept., then if current parent decides to stay you will just refund it.

I presume you don't have room for both?

grindal
21-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I dont have room for both and I have a 3 day a week mindee starting when my own son starts school full time in October.

AliceK
21-04-2010, 01:40 PM
If existing mum is confident they will get a space and you already have a mum that wants to replace them then I would write a letter of termination to original mum and take the new ones. I wouldn't take the risk of losing mindees and also losing a poss replacement that fits perfectly. I've just signed 2 contracts that start in August along with a deposit.

xxxxxxxxxx

Goatgirl
21-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi :),
I agree with helen 10 about the deposit: I'd even sign contracts, as long as you refund the deposit should the other child not get a nursery place, that should be fine :).

great to have new one lined up already, hope you manage to hold on to new one. Alternatively, maybe you could sign new up on understanding old one will be going to nursery, then if it doesn't happen, apply for a variation, supposing your sftar school places aren't taking you up to your 6 under 8's already?!

bws,
Wendy