PDA

View Full Version : skin colour....obs

sonia ann
21-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Interesting.......8yr old mindee , a beautiful black little girl has just arrived.....the people templates I have just posted about were on the craft table....

"Oooh I like these.......I should choose a colour that is skin colour....it will look more realistic".....

she chose the peachy flesh colour:)

Tups
21-04-2010, 08:39 AM
My mindee is black he chose the white one he said he wonted to see himself white for a change Ha tups :laughing: :laughing:

mamasheshe
21-04-2010, 02:37 PM
my daughters five and she just doesn't seem to notice different skin colors she was trying to explain to me who one of her friends at school is who's black and she was describing her braided hair i wish people didn't grow out of this

Andrea08
21-04-2010, 04:06 PM
my daughters five and she just doesn't seem to notice different skin colors she was trying to explain to me who one of her friends at school is who's black and she was describing her braided hair i wish people didn't grow out of this

same ere ... one mindee said to me ,,,""you know the football player,, X Y Z,,, im like Nooooo dont do football as a rule hun sorry and he said the one with the same skin as me..... he just couldnt say Black coz ya not allowed to at school.... i said if you want to call yaself a black person than you do so if not your just my boy and thats it.. how sad he frighteded to say Im Black because he heard teachers say your not allowed to say Black... well he not ruddy green is he... its mad and i told him so and asked his mum what and how to deal with this and his self esteem... she just laughed it off and said does it realy matter...

give up and went to bed lol

sweets
21-04-2010, 04:12 PM
its funny beceause i think my little mindee 18mnths does notice the difference!

she is a very sociable child and smiles and says hello to EVERYONE:rolleyes: we pass in the street or in shops. but the other day we went into a shop where there was a black man serving, he smiled at mindee and spoke to her she just looked at him completely blank and then tried to hide her face in her blanket.

i just said oh shes a bit shy. where as really she is the complete opposite!

PixiePetal
21-04-2010, 04:46 PM

My DD did the same at about 6yrs old. Described the girls coat and shoes exactly and her curly hair, then eventually she pointed to her in the playground, she was the only black girl there :) Innocence is a wonderful thing, bless:)

mamasheshe
21-04-2010, 05:45 PM
:) Innocence is a wonderful thing, bless:)

if only we could bottle it xxxxx

onceinabluemoon
21-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I asked my son a question about his school friend Sam when he was 5 years old. He had 3 friends called Sam. I couldn't think of their surnames so skirted around the issue of race with lots of other info such as 'sam with black hair'. Son turned around after about 5 minutes of me trying to make him know which child I was asking about and said 'Mum do you mean Sam who is Chinese, Black Sam or Sam with yellow hair?' I meant Chinese Sam, told him so, and was able to continue with our conversation.

I was a little bit worried about how my son had identified the children so spoke to the parents of the black and Chinese boys (who I was friendly with anyway) to check it was ok or to ask if they could think of a better way as I didn't want the boys to become upset. They both laughed and said it was fine. Black Sam was indeed black (very dark skinned) and Chinese Sam was indeed Chinese so what better way could there be to distinguish them from blonde Sam who indeed had yellow hair (in the eyes of a 5 year old anyway).

My son was friends with all three, at five he saw the difference in appearance but simply thought of the three boys as his friends. However when it came to describing them went for the most obvious (as we all would if race was not an issue, eg the one with glasses, the one with curly hair etc) Thankfully as a teenager he is still exactly the same. :)