PDA

View Full Version : Benefit of Experience

Pipsqueak
20-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Ok - experienced minders, lets make a list of our combined wisdom (lol) to give to newbies.
(even if you aren't an old timer then if you gotta tip then add it here)

My contribution is:

you are professional - believe in yourself

ALWAYS get paid in advance

PixiePetal
20-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Trust your instinct - you are usually right!

Don't say 'yes' immediately to a family's requests if you are not sure, say let me check my available spaces/days/times and think it over before getting back to them and giving an answer. Don't feel pressurised.

come on the forum for advice, always get a balanced answer

and ditto the above post.:thumbsup:

Blaze
20-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Get paid in advance & take some form of deposit that comes off the final invoice IF proper notice is given.

ALWAYS follow your gut instinct.

It's your business & you're rules - DO NOT let parents bully or pressurise you!

ALWAYS enforce your sickness policy regardless of how put out parents are!

Remeber you are entittled to holiday (as per your contract), DO NOT feel guilty for taking it!

Have confidence in yourself (even if you have to fake it) & ALWAYS remain professional.

Stick around the forum!:thumbsup:

miffy
21-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Learn to say NO and mean it!

Miffy xx

Tups
21-04-2010, 08:50 AM
always keep professional, stick to the rules, don't add parent to your face book,HA don't let parent go in arrears, you can be strict but fare, ::thumbsup:

sandy64
21-04-2010, 10:17 AM
always be profesional keep up to date with all paper work,think before you answer parents dont be afraid of saying can i get back to you.remember when your out ie toddlers people are watching you and they could be your next clients. get payment in advance( i should of done this lol) go with your instinct its usually right.routine works well for you and lo's. have lots of fun and enjoy your job i do 23 yrs later:laughing: :laughing: p.s if you need to ask/or struggling dont feel like youve failed we are learning daily no matter how long weve been c.m for and advice from others really does help:blush:

Tinglesnark
21-04-2010, 11:41 AM
(fab advice :thumbsup: thanks!)

im making a point of putting all verbal requests/changes from parents in writing, duplicating it and signing it - just in case!!

Carol M
21-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Carol xx

Trouble
21-04-2010, 12:13 PM
learn to count to 10 then say no:rolleyes:

if its not right dont do it trust your instincts:thumbsup:

if you think its right stick to it dont look around for something else

if you need help ask forum of course:clapping: :clapping:

dont bog yourself down with too much paperwork, pick 1 thing finish that and move on:D

had i known :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

grindal
21-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Record all incidents and accidents regardless of how trivial they are

linda2girls
21-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Thank you for all the great advice.

Linda.

manjay
21-04-2010, 09:19 PM
When faced with a difficult decision or situation always ask yourself "What is the worst that can happen?". If you can live with the answer to that question then go ahead and do it:D

I was taught that during some cognitive behaviour therapy when I suffered PND with one of my children. I use it now in all sorts of situations.

Pipsqueak
21-04-2010, 09:23 PM
When faced with a difficult decision or situation always ask yourself "What is the worst that can happen?". If you can live with the answer to that question then go ahead and do it:D

I was taught that during some cognitive behaviour therapy when I suffered PND with one of my children. I use it now in all sorts of situations.

Thats a good one Manjay - might pinch that one:thumbsup:

manjay
21-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Thats a good one Manjay - might pinch that one:thumbsup:

I seriously do use it a lot. Trouble is it is usually the same question and answer!!!! ie; the worst that could happen is the family could leave;) . I can usually live with that:D

It was my Health Visitor who did the CBT with me and she used to ask 2 questions. Will it kill you? or will you end up pregnant? If the answer to both was no then everything would be ok:thumbsup:

miss mopple
22-04-2010, 06:26 AM
My advice would be to stay true to yourself and make sure nomatter what business decisions you make that your family still come first. I consult my husband and kids where taking on new kids is concerened. If they have any reservations about anything (child/ parents/ hours etc) then I don't do it as they are my priority always. Sounds simple but its easy to forget.

marian
22-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Never say YES to something at the time - always say I will check my diary and get back to you!!

Marian x

Ticktoria
22-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Great thread.
Brilliant advice all, thanks :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
22-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Get to know other minders and settings in your area - choose your minder friends wisely. In other words - network.

Go to your network meetings, drop ins, training etc
Get to know your CDO's and don't be afraid to ask for something, push forward your ideas etc.

Someone else has mentioned it - remember when you are out and about you never know who might be watching you. Behave in a professional manner at all times.

Work each day as if Ofsted are could drop round (in theory they could)

WibbleWobble
22-04-2010, 08:10 AM
when faced with something (or someone ) daunting...just remember

"they cant get me pregnant or kill me"

that is my sisters mantra...you can see her priorities!

mandy xx

monkey62
22-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Remember family comes first and business after

Learn to say no to your friends when they ask you to mind for them children

Write a official letter everythime you give an information for parents attention and keep copy's/ signature

Keep to your rules and special to your policies( if you policie say payment in advance then do so). Remember parents read and sign to abide to your policies.

End last but not least, ensure you have a 10 minutes break each day for a cup of tea/ coffee

TammyN
22-04-2010, 07:57 PM
My advice would be to stay true to yourself and make sure nomatter what business decisions you make that your family still come first. I consult my husband and kids where taking on new kids is concerened. If they have any reservations about anything (child/ parents/ hours etc) then I don't do it as they are my priority always. Sounds simple but its easy to forget.

i like this Miss Mopple :) i'm just finding this out, i have been missing my family time :blush: not any more tho!
never mind for friends, just not worth the hassle!

sarah707
22-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Don't work for friends...

If you have a funny feeling it won't work out then it usually doesn't...

NEVER start a child until you've done at least 2 settling in visits... if parents are too busy to arrange them then other things will slip as time goes on... or they are hiding something about their child's behaviour...

Learn to say no...

Don't give too much of yourself... if it's getting a bit pushy and you're being asked to do too much, say you'll get back to them...

Be professional and stand back a bit. there's no harm in having a friendship with parents after the minding has finished, but beware fair weather friends who ask for all the favours then disappear on the child's last day.

Enjoy the children... if this goes, you're in the wrong job :D

kelvinmuns
23-04-2010, 05:16 PM
very good tread thank you to share all these experiences and advices

moljak
23-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Thankyou :)
Keep them coming I'm learning lots!

Alibali
23-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Walls have ears, be very careful about what you say, you never know who's listening!

sillysausage
23-04-2010, 09:21 PM
:laughing: :laughing:
I've read through this and I'm doing soooooooo many things wrong but having said that I've never had any problems either.

Advice- be careful who you recommend. Try not to say anything negative about any other childminder. If a parent asks for a recommendation and you don't know of anyone you would trust implicitly with your own children, give them the local childcare info telephone number instead, telling them you don't know who has vacancies at the moment.

het
24-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Thankyou all for these pearls of wisdom.
Very useful. I'm putting together my own notes of do's and definitely do nots!
Thanks, Hx

monkey62
24-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I have just read another thread and I so :mad: Not sure if this has been mention by someone else before.
Don't give all you papers, policies, permision forms at a first meeting with parents
NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER, NEVER

Trouble
24-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I have just read another thread and I so :mad: Not sure if this has been mention by someone else before.
Don't give all you papers, policies, permision forms at a first meeting with parents
NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER, NEVER

on this note DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR OFSTED NUMBER UNTIL SIGN PAPERS:panic:

Avon
24-04-2010, 10:59 PM

lol, friend of mine says something similar.... "Well it can't kill you and cannot get you pregnant so" (depending on the situation) "Go for it!" or "don't worry about it and move on..."

Avon
24-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Work each day as if Ofsted are could drop round (in theory they could)

Luckily in my case, no one can come and see me without my permission and without me notifying the Guard room on camp first ;D