PDA

View Full Version : Am I on the right track with ob's & planning?

Nikki76
20-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi everyone
I've just had my pre-reg visit (just waiting for CRB's) and finally got my head around all the policies are procedures I need.
I thought that whilst I was waiting for everything to complete I'd try and start to 'get my head around' the EYFS side of things. I have been on the course but to be honest I didn't find it to be of any use. I have learnt more from this forum than I did on the two day course!

Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right lines? :blush:

Learning Journey, I will include:
• an ‘all about me’ form from parents to give me a starting point.
• Random/short written & photo obs as and when the child does something interesting or new. These will be linked back to the six areas of L&D and the individual aspects of those L&D areas, some with next steps.
• Planned ob’s , covering the same as the short ob’s but just in a lot more depth and not as regular.
• Areas of L&D in grid form, so that I can make sure all areas are being met. I will cross reference this with obs (not just tick)
• Examples of the childrens work.
• Do I include my planning in the learning journey or keep this separate??

Planning

Long term planning – Annual Planning. Themes, festivals, birthdays etc (general planning)

Medium planning – Monthly planning. What I intend on doing with regards to my themes etc and what areas of L&D these might cover (general planning)•

Short term planning – Weekly planning. Linking child’s interests to my themes and again what areas on L&D it has covered. (individual planning)

I haven’t quite got to grips with the under three’s yet? Would I just do the above but make it simplier? Eg. Reading book to cover CLL ets?

Sorry about the looooooooong thread, but any advice would be great :)

huggableshelly
20-04-2010, 09:17 PM
sounds like you pretty much got it all covered but try not to do too much.

ofsted (my opinion) like to see short term plans that include next steps rather than long term plans ... long term plans can change so quickly pending on the mindees and ages groups but it is always good to have some idea maybe just a quick monthly topic chart.

under 3's are the same as every child is under the same eyfs now no matter if age 2 months of 4 years.
CLL inlcudes, sounds a younger child makes
role play pretend to cook, count, 2 way conversations, linking 2 words together, pointing to objects in books, enjoying a story being told

nursery rhymes, joining in with action, saying a word or 2 in time with you, being able to begin to recite with help then fully reciting alone.

the course you have done is of great value, the cetificate will look great in your portfolio for parents, ofsted and anyone else who may be interested ... such as a student that may wish to work with you.

with the grid ... i highlight what has been completed and date it along with a pic/post-it note or a slightly longer written up obs or child creations.

i also send the LJ's home with parents with a different coloured highlighter to encourage them to think about what their child is doing at home and then they mark off what they feel their child has managed to complete. One set of parents are wonderful with this, they write on a feedback sheet telling me why they have marked things off and how they feel their child has completed that step.

Nikki76
20-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the reply,
I love the idea of allowing the parents to participate in the learning journey. Excellent example of 'working in partnership with parents' and also it may include some L&D areas that I have not yet observed them meeting. Although I doubt all parents will be willing to complete this.....:(

Do you file your planning in the LJ?

huggableshelly
20-04-2010, 09:45 PM
yes I do but it is mainly in note form in the back of the LJ as things always change to how I plan them ...

I planned to plant pumpkin seeds to include all 6 areas which was great but the seeds didnt get planted, the dinosaurs came out wo tplay in the compost instead and water was used to bath them in rather than to add to the still empty plant pots

so keep it loose and always expect things to go a different way - following the childs interest.

It helps to get a page by page diary too to make your own notes in on how things worked or didnt go as planned.

auntie allie
28-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone
I've just had my pre-reg visit (just waiting for CRB's) and finally got my head around all the policies are procedures I need.
I thought that whilst I was waiting for everything to complete I'd try and start to 'get my head around' the EYFS side of things. I have been on the course but to be honest I didn't find it to be of any use. I have learnt more from this forum than I did on the two day course!

Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right lines? :blush:

Learning Journey, I will include:
• an ‘all about me’ form from parents to give me a starting point.
• Random/short written & photo obs as and when the child does something interesting or new. These will be linked back to the six areas of L&D and the individual aspects of those L&D areas, some with next steps.
• Planned ob’s , covering the same as the short ob’s but just in a lot more depth and not as regular.
• Areas of L&D in grid form, so that I can make sure all areas are being met. I will cross reference this with obs (not just tick)
• Examples of the childrens work.
• Do I include my planning in the learning journey or keep this separate??

Planning

Long term planning – Annual Planning. Themes, festivals, birthdays etc (general planning)

Medium planning – Monthly planning. What I intend on doing with regards to my themes etc and what areas of L&D these might cover (general planning)•

Short term planning – Weekly planning. Linking child’s interests to my themes and again what areas on L&D it has covered. (individual planning)

I haven’t quite got to grips with the under three’s yet? Would I just do the above but make it simplier? Eg. Reading book to cover CLL ets?

Sorry about the looooooooong thread, but any advice would be great :)

hi im pre reg too and bit worried about ofsted coming to do my pre reg visit! what sort of things do they ask?

fayeberrie
26-06-2010, 09:08 PM
mine actually didn't quiz me too much, she asked me what the legal welfare requirements are, how i plan to safe guard my mindees against unsuitable people, if i knew the areas of learning, could i think of an activity that covered all areas ( lots of activities do this, i said play doh, its creative, you use fine and gross motor skills, you interact and discuss what the mindee is doing you can use language such as more and less and you can even create situations with the older ones, like my little girl likes to make families.) that covers all.
i was absolutley petrified and all i can say is try not to be cos it makes it harder! looking back on it she was really nice and by the end i was much more relaxed. she was not interested in any of my paper work and did not look at any policies or anything. they just wat to make sure you have common sense and are a fit person to be caring for children.
hope that was of some help.:D