PDA

View Full Version : Worried retainer put her off

snufflepuff
20-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Had a parent round today and it all went really well, her LO seemed to enjoy herself and mum was really pleased. She said she was happy to go ahead with contracts but her husband wanted to see the paperwork so i filled it all in and gave it to her. Then she asked what the retainer fee would be, and i said its usually 1/2 fees but as that would come to £27.20 id be happy to go with £25 for the 5 or 6 weeks until she starts. She seemed really shocked and didnt seem to understand. I went through how it all works and it turned out she meant a deposit eg months fees. She said the retainer was ok, (and was pleased that it meant she could use the space in that time because she needs childcare one afternoon next month) but im worried her husband wont be happy with it! argh it was going so well! :panic:

Tired
20-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Don't worry, If she likes you, i doubt £25 would put her off.

And you could always reduce it further if it meant getting the work.

What I sometimes do is charge the retainer at half price until they start. Then I charge the same number of weeks at half price when they do start.

That way they don't pay any extra, but you get 50% whilst you are holding the space, and keep it if they done come.

Carol M
20-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Wish I had done this!
Parents signed contract for full time place in March, to start May.
Child has been to settling in sessions. Have been asking for deposit and was told they could pay it begining of April. I really liked parents and lo so said ok. No deposit forthcoming and was told yesterday they no longer needed me!
So I have learnt my lesson,again!
No money, no place saved from now on!
Hope you get retainer/deposit, don't back down
Carol x