PDA

View Full Version : CRB

smartypants
21-03-2008, 04:48 PM
When do you have to renew your CRB ??

I understood that if you got one of the new ones that you didnt have to renew these??

How does that work with keeping track on people who get a criminal record after your CRB's have been done??

smartypants
21-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Dont worry found this on the CRB site

FAQs
Print this page We are frequently asked many questions about the service we provide; here is a list of the most frequent.

Please select a topic or type in a keyword and click search:

How long are CRB checks valid for?
CRB checks have no period of validity as the information on the Disclosure is a snap shot in time at the point that the checks were completed.

ruby
21-03-2008, 07:11 PM
we are with the cssiw and have to renew ours every three years
they do not remind you you have to phone up 3 months before

Cathy

smartypants
21-03-2008, 07:13 PM
No im in kent

sarah707
22-03-2008, 09:07 AM
I have only just got one... Ofsted said they might as well 'do' me when one of the teens needed doing when they turned 16 last year.

I wouldn't worry, there isn't any other definitive guidance at the moment as far as I am aware :D

deeb66
22-03-2008, 02:12 PM
I thought it was recommended that they were redone every 3 years.

Might be wrong on this as I have never had one done :(

chels55
22-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes inspector said it needs to be renewed every three years

tinkerbell_85
22-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I thought it was every three years....hmmm

sarah707
22-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes inspector said it needs to be renewed every three years

I wonder why an Ofsted inspector is saying that when CRB themselves disagree? I have made a note to email Ofsted on Tuesday and ask them, but I have a feeling the most they can do is suggest it as 'good practice' if CRB are not saying it must be done... I will get back to you.

Here is the link from CRB themselves showing what Kate said :D

http://www.crb.org.uk/Default.aspx?page=289&qid=474

miffy
22-03-2008, 08:28 PM
I thought there had been another thread on this recently because under eyfs we have to show we are suitable and it mentions crb check as a way of proving this to an inspector

Many minders including me who have been minding for a long while will never have had a crb check because they didn't exist then (you had a police check) and so will not have anything in writing - but who is going to pay for them?

Perhaps that's why our registration fees are being increased :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

emmadines
23-03-2008, 06:37 PM
the thing with crb's! they are actually out of date from the seccond you sign them or they are sent off! (could be even as soon as they've been checked:blush: )

so in the ideal world for them to be 100% upto date you would have to be filling them out on a daily basis!:panic:

sarah707
24-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I've just sent this by email... let's see what I get back! :D

I wonder if you can help please?

It says on the CRB website that there is no period of validity for CRB checks -

A childminder friend of mine was told by an Ofsted inspector that her CRB would run out after 3 years, yet there are lots of childminders working without CRB checks because they were police checked under the old social sevices system and have never been updated.

Can you please clarify whether Ofsted put a time limit on validity of CRB checks and who would pay if they had to be re-done every 3 years.

Thank you

smartypants
24-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Im glad im not the only one confused :idea:

Thanks Sarah, lets see what there answer is

Spangles
24-03-2008, 08:57 PM
If we do have to have them renewed, who requests them as I'm sure we can't request one for ourselves can we?

sarah707
24-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Oh Lorri I didn't think of that one... maybe when I get the 'refer to your standards' reply tomorrow I can ask it in my follow-up 'please be specific' email :D

Pipsqueak
24-03-2008, 09:00 PM
How strange - I was actually wondering that myself (if it needs to be renewed). Surely it should be periodically - but to whose cost?:panic:

miffy
24-03-2008, 09:34 PM
How strange - I was actually wondering that myself (if it needs to be renewed). Surely it should be periodically - but to whose cost?:panic:

I'll give you three guesses on that one!

Hope you get a useful reply Sarah

Miffy xx

ruby
24-03-2008, 09:35 PM
I have been childminding for 17yrs and and had my first CRB 3yrs ago

it runs out in May I have had to phone the CSSIW to inform them, they gave me the details and then I had to phone the c R B people with the details so they can send me a new forms to complete.

the cssIw pay for the checks which is good because there are 5 of us to do and it would cost me £150.00 if not more to get us all done.

Cathy

ajs
24-03-2008, 09:47 PM
as i had never been crb'd either and parents were asking to see copies i had oner done through scouts (who pay for it)
now my 14 year old is doing her work placement with me for her young apprentcieship the administrator said she would pay for me to be crb'd too so at least i have proof now even though it wasn't ofsted who did them

ruby
24-03-2008, 10:00 PM
i have 3 crb checks

youth worker, care worker and childminding

They are all enhanced ones can't see one they can't just do one to cover everything instead of individual ones

But I am Lucky that i have never had to pay for one yet

Cathy

sarah707
25-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I've just sent this by email... let's see what I get back! :D

I wonder if you can help please?

It says on the CRB website that there is no period of validity for CRB checks -

A childminder friend of mine was told by an Ofsted inspector that her CRB would run out after 3 years, yet there are lots of childminders working without CRB checks because they were police checked under the old social sevices system and have never been updated.

Can you please clarify whether Ofsted put a time limit on validity of CRB checks and who would pay if they had to be re-done every 3 years.

Thank you

The answer... :D

Dear Ms Neville,

Thank you for your e-mail.

CRB checks do not have an expiry date however its is advisable that they are updated every three years.

Ofsted carry out checks on all registered childminders and other persons living at an address of a registered childminder that are over the age of 16 years.

At the present time we are unable to carry out any updated checks and the CRB checks previously carried out are sufficient.

However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Joanna Wright

Customer Service Advisor

Ofsted - National Business Unit

TEL: 08456 404040

deeb66
26-03-2008, 03:14 PM
In other words.....we want you to have them every three years....and oh by the way we won't pay for it :rolleyes:

Typical of Ofsted!

What about people like us who have never had one?.......it really frustrates me :angry: