PDA

View Full Version : Balloon Phobia

Twinkle
19-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Does anyone have any experience of the best way to handle phobia's. 4 yo mindee fell to bits today when we went to lunch at the local farm - because there were two balloons on the table next to us. I did move them out of sight but he couldn't settle because he knew they were still in the room.

I had a chat with mum tonight and she has no idea how to handle this either. Any suggestions?

Thanks

WibbleWobble
19-04-2010, 08:56 PM
i have a balloon phobia too:blush: :blush:

i hate them! even thinking about them is making my skin crawl.

cant help...need to lie down now..

mandy x

TheBTeam
19-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I know a mum of a 7yr old with a very very strong balloon phobia, I will ask her for any tips if I see her at school this week.

That said her son has had the phobia for years and it is still as strong, so guessing not going to be much help!:panic:

Gizmo
19-04-2010, 08:58 PM
A friend of mine has this too and she says its been since she was little but she doesnt know why

miffy
19-04-2010, 09:01 PM
I looked after a child who had a thing about balloons too - became hysterical if there were any nearby. We just avoided them - sorry, I know that's not a lot of help!

Miffy xx

Hebs
19-04-2010, 09:02 PM
my kids arn't allowed balloons ans i dont allow them in the house :panic:

my mums friend died because she inhaled a balloon and they couldn't restsitate her :(
we were never allowed balloons as kids for that reason and we have all carried it on

green puppy
19-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I just googled " how to deal with a balloon phobia" and a discussion on an old netmums thread came up about this. Lots of advice, sorry not sure how to attach a link! Try googling what I did and hopefully you will find it.

TheBTeam
04-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Sorry only just remembered this, I did ask the mum, and the only advice she was able to give was to not give into it and dont avoid situations, she is sure that because she did this that it didnt help her son get over it in the long run.

She said it is better to face it and help them get through the situations than it is to avoid the situations iyswim.

LOOPYLISA
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
my kids arn't allowed balloons ans i dont allow them in the house :panic:

my mums friend died because she inhaled a balloon and they couldn't restsitate her :(
we were never allowed balloons as kids for that reason and we have all carried it on

I hate E having balloons too, especially blowing them up

happytotschildminding
04-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, my mum didn't avoid them, she made sure I had them every birthday and christmas and I've still got the phobia into my 40's, it just made me think she didn't love me. I'd rather not have had the parties etc - instead I'd run up to my bedroom and cry. Couldn't you just avoid them? my kids don't have them (they're really understanding) and if there's anywhere with balloons (like pizzahut - we ate in the car instead!) we go somewhere else - I've come away from Christmas works do's before, I just can't do balloons.
Well, thats some really useless information!!! sorry
Carol

breezy
04-05-2010, 08:21 PM
my mum is 78 and has a balloon phobia from childhood, she has no idea how it started and its eased a lot, but they still really make her cringe. She has tried to face up to it, but put it down as one of those things.
Ok, no help at all, sorry :blush:

zillervalley
04-05-2010, 09:09 PM
I hate E having balloons too, especially blowing them up

we dont have ballons in our house too, dh hates them