PDA

View Full Version : Lots of part-timers

Saled
19-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Hi there, I've only just registered and have had quite a few enquiries for people looking for care just one day a week. They are happy to be in a contract but only for that one day.

I understand that if I start this way I could end up with odd days that I cannot fill but I just wondered what you all thought.

I'm tempted to say yes, as the variety appeals to me but would I be crazy to head down this route - I'm a single Mum so will be relying on this income 100%.

Would the paperwork be too much?

If one parent gives notice would I have trouble filling the space each time.

Or should I be the one that is different in my area and offer the flexibility that it seems parents need here.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

miffy
19-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I only work 3 days a week so all of mine are part-timers. Within that only one set of before and after schoolers comes all 3 days, the others do a mixture of one or two days each.

Yes, you do sometimes get left with an odd day space but on the whole I've been fine and I enjoy the different mixes of kids each day.

Miffy xx

Mouse
19-04-2010, 07:41 PM
I've been childminding for years and have never had a full timer.

I've found that the right thing always comes along & I manage to fill the spaces. I don't know if I've just been lucky, but my part timers have always fitted well together. At the moment I only work 4 days a week, but I am full on those 4 days, all part time children.

nokidshere
19-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I only do after school now but they are all part timers. I have never had any trouble filling gaps - even for one afternoon!

I find part timers more flexible for me and them.

maisiemog
19-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I've been registered for 6 months now and I've only had part time enquiries. I prefer that for the reasons you've said. Plus I dont really want to be working full time if I can avoid it! I just need to be earning some money.

I dont think I'd be able to fill myself full time any time soon so I'm just taking on part timers as they come. I'd rather be earning some money than waiting around for a full timer that might never come.

Saled
19-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Thank you that's good to hear, I expected a resounding 'no hang out for the full timers!'

PixiePetal
19-04-2010, 09:18 PM
In 15 years I have only had 1 full timer. :)

I find that having part timers, when you get/give notice, you still have some work to tide you over. Not putting your eggs all in one basket as they say :)

Never had problem filling spaces as long as work is about, they all slot in nicely.

christine e
19-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I have been minding 19 years. At the time I started I only had full timers but times have changed and most of the enquiries these days seem to be for part timers. About 4 and a half years ago I had an enquiry for a baby to come one day a week and I was very unsure about this, a friend persuaded me to take him on and after a couple of months one day became two and after about a couple of years two became three and after three years he became my only full timer. He has now gone down to 3 days whilst mum on maternity leave but come september I will have his sister full time (again she will be my only full timer).

It is a lot of paperwork having so many part timers but I think this just has to be overcome.

Good luck

Cx

tulip0803
19-04-2010, 09:23 PM
My first children in 2001 were 1 full-time pre-school & sibling at school. I have never had another full-timer since. I have had full days but not all week or all week but not full days. I have managed to be as full as I wanted with just part-timers until I moved:rolleyes: .

The Juggler
20-04-2010, 06:29 AM
I have 6 EYFS children over 4 days - all part time.

peanuts
20-04-2010, 07:35 AM
times have changed when i first started minding 10 years ago, i had full timers not its made up of part timers.

caz3007
20-04-2010, 11:07 AM
All mine are part timers, either morings or two days a week and then lots of after schoolies. Yesterday I had 8 children in and out at different times, is a bit of juggling, but hey it means that I get a couple of hours some afternoons to myself.

angiemog
20-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I have found that lots of parents going back to work after maternity can choose the days they work. So if they come and see you and you only have x days then I have found they are happy to make arrangements for those days. I like the variety of part timers, different days and different combinations of children make a huge difference. x

mamasheshe
20-04-2010, 11:18 AM
i have five part timers and will be full school time apart from monday and Friday mornings dreading all those learning journals :eek:

sonia ann
20-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I have 19 children on my books........all part timers:)

Beetlejuice
20-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I prefer part-timers so that if they leave I don't have as much income to lose. I only have one full timer right now, the rest are all part time which suits me fine. It has allowed me to give myself a day off a week from this September when my full timer leaves!:clapping:

The Juggler
20-04-2010, 01:38 PM
I have 19 children on my books........all part timers:)

:eek: :eek: i thought i was bad with 9 and 2 of my own!

Saled
20-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Thank you so much for all the replies, its really put my mind at rest :)