PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have given up your dining room!

LittleStar's
19-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Since my husband has began childminding with myself we have noticed that we are outgrowing our house!

So im looking at properties to rent but looks like if I get a property with a dining room, I will have to use that as playroom and sacrifice having a table! But I like to sit them all down at the table to eat!

So I was jst wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what they did!

miss mopple
19-04-2010, 07:10 PM
We have. We tried having an upstairs playroom initially but it just wasnt practical so we converted the lounge to a lounge/diner and my dining room is now my playroom. Works well for us :thumbsup:

karen m
19-04-2010, 07:12 PM
lol lost my dinning area when i started minding stuff just seems to take over,but i try to make big effort at weekends and store everything away and use table then

birch24
19-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Our house has turned into a play room!!!!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

WibbleWobble
19-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I have a table in my dining room and it is still used as one when mindees are not here. My kids are grown up so we dont really want stuff hanging around (well that was the plan!)

OH and i have made an enormous notice board to put on the wall for displays etc. This will hopefully save the wall paper (as i am presently sticking things up with tape) and can be removed when we are entertaining.

that is the theory...:rolleyes:

mandy x

sarah707
19-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I have a table (big oval one) in my living room and use the dining room as a childminding room.

It works for me :D

LOOPYLISA
19-04-2010, 07:23 PM
When i started out , i was planning on using d room as cm room/playroom :D

Now its dumping ground :rolleyes:

Heaven Scent
19-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Me - I have oh and my Sunroom which is off it - DH hates it - so at Christmas I cleared all minding stuff up to the loft - then we fell out on Christmas day and all was terrible - I don't know why I bother sometimes:angry: :angry:

Toothfairy
19-04-2010, 08:36 PM
I have a through lounge/diner. The lounge end I use as the quiet area for reading, snuggling on the sofa, tv etc and the dinning room end has a large table for eating and crafts, a kiddies table and all the play equipment.

I would love a conservatory but we only have a tiny 40ft garden. :(

Rubybubbles
19-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I have a large dining table, but it is pushed as far back, but within easy access as we use it all the time for eating, and crafts, or for the older children to play with things like Lego, without the younger kids getting hold of it!

No posters on my walls anymore, as it is a large open plan lounge dinner, and I don't like to see it! When I had a separate dining room it was also the playroom

TheBTeam
19-04-2010, 08:51 PM
I have a through lounge/diner. The lounge end I use as the quiet area for reading, snuggling on the sofa, tv etc and the dinning room end has a large table for eating and crafts, a kiddies table and all the play equipment.

I only have around a 40ft garden and we had a conservatory built, it is 2.7mx2.9m and it is the best thing we have ever done, we have a low level wall to it and the door is on the side, so lots of useable space in it and it really opens the garden up to us, we make use of the garden more and the conservatory is a real inbetween area for the dining room end of our lounge diner and the garden, the amount of space lost from the garden has not had a real impact on what the garden can be used for, but the benefit of the extra indoor space has been incredible, another place to chill and watch tv and a low table and chairs for crafts and eating, another floor space to play is well worth the small chunk of garden.

maisiemog
19-04-2010, 09:05 PM

We're the same! Pretty much all the same room!

I have shelving units, a dresser and a couple of leather boxes storing all my minding stuff in the dining room. Got some of the bigger toys in the lounge. MY whole house has been taken over by minding and my dd! :laughing:

mummyof3
19-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I have a through lounge/dining room and the dining room is a play room with table in there. I have a fold up table chairs set so can still use it for meal times.

Toothfairy
19-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Ooooooh maybe I will look into a small conservatoy then.
When I stand in the garden and try to imagine the space it will take up, it looks huge. Maybe I will get hubby to mark the space out and see what it looks like.

You've got me thinking now :laughing:

maisiemog
19-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I want a conservatory but I cant! Our house is the wrong shape so there is nowhere it would fit! Our garden is a funny shape as well.... Think I just have a strange house...lol!:laughing:

LittleStar's
20-04-2010, 07:03 AM
yes at the moment we have a louge diner sort of room but Its not big enough for toys as well . Think im gonna look for a dining room big enough so that I can push the table up against the wall and use ocasionally for dining!!! :D

Blue Boy
20-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Our dning room becomes a play room, sleping room, library & ofice.

hello kitty
20-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Yep, I use my dining room and the conservatory which runs off of it and they use my kitchen oh, and the hall and of course the cloakroom .... the only place out of bounds is my lounge which is kept as a strict child free zone! ;)

peanuts
20-04-2010, 07:38 AM
my downstairs is all open plan so things get everywhere

SmartKids
20-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Dining Room!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: now that is a joke - mine is office, dumping ground, storage, sleeping room in fact whatever we decide on the day :laughing: :laughing: We would like to sort it out and put some storage office furniture in, but, we just don't know what to do with what is already in there - maybe one night the fairies will come and do it - I can dream

LittleStar's
20-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Well I have just rung an agent about a property they have to rent which would suit me and they said that you cant run a bsiness from a rented property is that right??? Does aybody on here rent! Our house what we have now is mortgage which we were going to rent out and then rent ourselves because we cant afford to buy bigger!

LittleMissSparkles
20-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Well I have just rung an agent about a property they have to rent which would suit me and they said that you cant run a bsiness from a rented property is that right??? Does aybody on here rent! Our house what we have now is mortgage which we were going to rent out and then rent ourselves because we cant afford to buy bigger!

some landlords will let you use for childminding but you would have to ask and find one that would allow it , have you explained your a childminder to the agent ? x

AliceK
20-04-2010, 08:52 AM

Apparantly being a childminder doesn't count as running a business??

I don't really get that either but that's what I've heard.

xxxxxx

LittleStar's
20-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Yes I said that was the reason we was looking to rent . She said its in the tenancy agreement! x

LittleMissSparkles
20-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Apparantly being a childminder doesn't count as running a business??

I don't really get that either but that's what I've heard.

xxxxxx

i would have said we work from home rather than run a business... suppose its the same thing though really lol x

LittleMissSparkles
20-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Yes I said that was the reason we was looking to rent . She said its in the tenancy agreement! x

phone round some other agents, i know there are alot of minders that rent and still mind from the property x