PDA

View Full Version : Every Child Matters Course

smartypants
21-03-2008, 04:43 PM
OMG i have just had new parents come round and Dad is a police man..

He asked if i had done the Every child matters course and said that everyone who works or comes in contact with children has to do this course before the 1st of April :eek:

I said i havent heard anything about this and would ring Ofsted or NCMA on Tuesday.....

Do you know anything about this??

They signed contracts and start Tuesday but im so worried now!!!!

wendywu
21-03-2008, 04:54 PM
New one on me, but im sure that if we had to do it by the 1st April then we would all have been told. No one has mentioned it on this forum.:rolleyes:

miffy
21-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Think he's got his wires crossed - haven't heard of it

If it was correct someone here would have posted about it before now

You got the job so don't worry

Miffy xx

avril
21-03-2008, 06:49 PM
News to me too, someone must know if this is true especially as there has been a lot of inspections ofsted would have mentioned it wouldn't they?

Avril x:)

Pipsqueak
21-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Aye, new one on me too and I haven't seen anything via the OFSTED or NCMA website either,

Much our training is based around ECM agenda (depending on what you are studying obviously) and it underpins our knowledge/inspections/practice etc.

Think the guy has got confused or misinformation or perhaps just trying it on

Pipsqueak
21-03-2008, 07:19 PM
You might find something on the actual site

http://www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/socialcare/safeguarding/

This is the only bit that I can find about something being mandatory for April 2008
The child death review procedures will become mandatory in April 2008. In this section you can find further details and information on the work underway to support implementation including resources

crazybones
21-03-2008, 07:20 PM
I am just wondering do you think the date "1st April" has anything to do with this? He may have been having you on as no-one has heard of it.

smartypants
21-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Thankyou girls :thumbsup:

Feel abit better now!!

This Dad said it was to do with the Victoria ClimbiƩ case.......

Pipsqueak
21-03-2008, 07:41 PM
The ECM agenda and other legislation comes from the Climbe report

sarah707
22-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Cheshire made a big thing of everyone having to attend a child protection evening, last year I think it was.

They gave us a big child protection pack which included leaflets and sample policies. Also posters and there were exhibitions from different child protection agencies around the room.

They then gave a talk and there was a policeman, a local social care person etc and a big thing was made of how Ian Huntley did awful things to women before he killed the girls and how it should have been picked up earlier.

It was quite upsetting tbh... but it made it's point I suppose.

That's the only relevant thing I can think of, hope it helps :D

deeb66
22-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I think he must be referring to a Safeguarding Children course which used to be known as Child Protection.

As a Childminder you should have already done it and is recommended to update this knowledge every 3 years.

The Every Chilod Matters (ECM) came into effect as a result of what happened to Victoria Climbie.

You should already be working under the guidelines of ECM anyway so nothing to worry about.

Blaze
22-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Have to say I agree with Dee.
Tasha:)

wellybelly
22-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Perhaps he means safeguarding children - he should'nt really do that beacuse it maybe different or police officers.

miffy
22-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree with Dee too

Miffy xx

Raggydolls
24-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I am catching up on posts and have just noticed this one

I have just completed a very short lesson based upon 'why every child matters in ofsted inspection' do u think this is what it might have been. i have been told that this course is now required of all new childminders.

my area has changed the registration process, u must have taken the following 6 courses to be approved for registration as well as also doing the icp there is also additional sessions for writing up policies/procedures/promotion materials etc

why every child matter in ofsted inspection
safeguarding children
first aid
eyfs training
a business module/session
common assassment framework (caf)

also heard that they will make food hygiene a requirement too

hope this helps

leanne
xx

Pipsqueak
24-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks Raggy for that, I shall go and speak to my Dev Officer as some of that is new to me (requirement for reg), as a support minder I would have thought we would have been told:( Typical

smartypants
24-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I didnt know that either :eek:

But thanks for all the replies :D