PDA

View Full Version : Registered Family Childminder

bored of it
12-12-2007, 11:44 AM
My mum is in the process of becoming a registered childminder and I just wanted to find out if she would be able to look after my youngest child once I go back to full time work. I was always under the impression that grandparents were not allowed but if she is registered would it make a difference?

I would be grateful for any advice thank you.

Mollymop
12-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi!!
I'm not registered myself just yet, but on the final part of my course on Monday evening I do remember our tutor saying that Ofsted don't really like it when Grandparents, etc, register just too look after their family, she didn't say that Ofsted doesn't allow it, but I think they appreciate it a bit more if the person was to look after other peoples children as well rather than just family, I think that Ofsted think it is a waste of time and money getting people registered just so they can look after their own family members and thats all. But by the sounds of what you said your mum is registering to look after other peoples children as well, so there shouldn't be any problems. X

Others will know loads more than me on this subject, so I hope you get more help soon.:)
Love Sandraxxxxx

bored of it
12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for that.
She isn't doing it just to look after my kids. My son is at school full time and my youngest is still a baby so it was just a thought going forward as rather than leaving her with someone she didn't know. Her intention is to look after other children.

Pauline
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
She will be fine then, also you will be able to claim chid tax credits which you would not have been able to do if she looked after your child but was not registered.

Tell your mum to come and join us on here, she'd be most welcome!! :)

bored of it
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
I will and thanks again!

nannysue
12-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi.
Yes your mum is able to look after your children, i have done so with mine before they started school full time. They do have to counted in her numbers
and included in the register. Also as Pauline said you will be able to apply for working tax credit.

Sue x

Sharlan
12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Iv'e got a feeling that she will only be able to look after them and you claim tax credits as long as you don't live in the same house.

carolinel
12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
like already said, it is ok, but I think you have to prove that you are actively looking for other mindees. so would just have to tell ofsted that adverts are out and about.(if they queried it at the first inspection for example)

angeldelight
12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Great advice from everyone

Just wanted to say good luck to your mom hope it all goes ok

Angel xx