PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Basket

angiemog
19-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Hi,
I have just decided to start putting bits and pieces into a sensory basket. I have seen loads of different ones on tts which cover the individual senses, but I'm doing one that covers all of them. I am struggling with the 'smell' sense. I've thought about a lavendar bag but that's all I can think of.
So far I have rain makers, rubbery balls lots of different ones, foil blanket, massage roller, ball with bell, blocks with different colours to look through, kaleidoscopes... although I will continue to add to it I think I do have enough bits for it to be used....... all except 'smell' do you have any ideas of things you have seen recently? I don't want to put things in tubs or bottles for them to open and smell. I'm thinking more of things that 'smell' :)
Thank you x

Mouse
19-04-2010, 01:31 PM
You can buy wooden fruit that smells, but I don't know where from (not much help, sorry!)

What does the TTS smelly sensory basket have in it?

angiemog
19-04-2010, 01:34 PM
You can buy wooden fruit that smells, but I don't know where from (not much help, sorry!)

What does the TTS smelly sensory basket have in it?

There isn't one! Just tactile and auditory.

mama2three
19-04-2010, 01:39 PM
what about slices of dried orange / lemon?
how old are the children? if they are past the putting everything in their mouths stage then scented soaps would be nice?

green puppy
19-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I used to do a fruit/veg and flower smell basket. Oranges,lemons,limes strawberries,kiwis,bananas,pineapple. Garlic,leek,sweetcorn,tomatoes, herbs, a few flower heads. I would also use the different textures, shapes, colours, sizes etc to expand the learning. I then used to cut up the fruit for tasting, some of the veg too. As an activity it covers every learning area too.

angiemog
19-04-2010, 05:23 PM
what about slices of dried orange / lemon?
how old are the children? if they are past the putting everything in their mouths stage then scented soaps would be nice?

Thanks everyone for your ideas. The soaps have given me an idea (they are all around 18 months-2 years so not past putting things in their mouths) I could put them in the little bags you get from washing tablets.
Thank you x

AnnieM
20-04-2010, 01:48 PM
What about using different aromatherapy oils, you could put a few drops of the oil onto some cotton wool and then make little bags like the lavender bags and tie them up with little lables, so you know which oil is in which bag. :thumbsup: I did some of these for my sensory/treasure basket.

helenlc
20-04-2010, 08:25 PM
What about using different aromatherapy oils, you could put a few drops of the oil onto some cotton wool and then make little bags like the lavender bags and tie them up with little lables, so you know which oil is in which bag. :thumbsup: I did some of these for my sensory/treasure basket.

I was just going to say lavender bags!!!:laughing:

Toothfairy
20-04-2010, 08:45 PM
They would need to be changed often but what about herbs in a bag such as mint, basil etc.