PDA

View Full Version : parental responsibility

sammie09
18-04-2010, 08:48 PM
hi could someone please give me some advice my mindee mum as told me this morning that the childs father(who doesnt live with them) went to her house last night and got quiet violent (not the first time) she as warned him countless time police been involed etc and she said to me under no circumstances is he allowed to see the child if he turns up i have to ring her x i understand that legally i am not allowed to say no to him taking her but if mum writes a letter would that cover me or have i legally got to let him tkae her unless there is a court order
x x x x :(

Mookins
18-04-2010, 08:51 PM
the only way i could think about getting round not letting him take child is by you not knowing who he is and asking for proof.... in which case he would then have to get relevant proof in mean time you ring the mother and she collects asap!

at least that way you not getting in trouble for not giving child to father and not getting trouble for giving child to father

hope someone can help

x x

tashaleee
18-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Is there a court order in place? Is the mum in the process of getting one? Do you use an NCMA contract? How old is the child? Does the dad have unsupervised access? Do you know who the dad is.

All just things to think about.

If I were doing it then I would put his name on the Contract but obviously it would only be signed by mum. I would then put a note on the PR about situation - ie mum requests no contact and get her to sign it. Wouldnt hurt to put a note on file. However if you dont know who the dad is then you couldnt hand the child over without the mum's say so and if he demanded you wouldnt know who he was (unless you do know him then its a different situation). As long as your paperwork is correct then there isnt a problem with Ofsted.

sammie09
18-04-2010, 09:54 PM
the only way i could think about getting round not letting him take child is by you not knowing who he is and asking for proof.... in which case he would then have to get relevant proof in mean time you ring the mother and she collects asap!

at least that way you not getting in trouble for not giving child to father and not getting trouble for giving child to father

hope someone can help

x x

i have been looking after this mindee for 12 months so know father and mother mother asnt got court order but told me the only way father gonna see child is to take her court his name is on birth certificate and as regular contact really dont know what to do

Mouse
18-04-2010, 09:56 PM
As far as I understand it, if the father has parental responsibility, you can't prevent him from taking the child unless there is a court order preventing it, or if you believe the child will be in danger. I don't think it's good enough to have a letter from the mother.

I would phone Ofsted or NCMA (if you're with them) for clarification

tashaleee
18-04-2010, 09:59 PM
As far as I understand it, if the father has parental responsibility, you can't prevent him from taking the child unless there is a court order preventing it, or if you believe the child will be in danger. I don't think it's good enough to have a letter from the mother.

would have to agree :thumbsup:

Blaze
19-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Highlighted is your answer, as Dad is known to be violent (please be careful yourself) - would as previously contact NCMA for advice & document.