PDA

View Full Version : Swearing

sdean
18-04-2010, 07:35 PM
How do you all deal with swearing? I have one mindee who has just turned five, his language is shocking and he doesn't see anything wrong with it. Mum just shakes her head when I mention it. I am particularly concerned now as a younger mindee is starting to copy the language.
What would you do?
:)

sarah707
18-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I cared for a child a while ago who swore.

I made it clear to the child that the language was not acceptable in my house.

I spoke to parents and explained that if it continued then I could not continue care for the child as I have to protect the other children in the house.

I explained to parents that we needed to work together to resolve the swearing or I would have to give notice.

I picked a time frame that suited me (4 weeks to see a significant improvement) and stuck to it, as I could not risk losing other contracts because of one child.

Unfortunately in this instance parents did not work with me as they did not see it as serious and I had to give notice.

Good luck! :D

Mookins
18-04-2010, 08:15 PM
yuk children swearing is awful

agree exactly with what sarah has said would do exactly the same too

x x

The Juggler
18-04-2010, 08:48 PM
what Sarah said! Either mum backs you and tells mindee it stops now or you terminate. obviously all of that said professionally in a face to face meeting.:)

LOOPYLISA
18-04-2010, 09:09 PM
No advise really hun :(

I hate swearing in children, well even in adults :panic:

tashaleee
18-04-2010, 09:29 PM
I have the same with a 5 year old at the mo... luckily only usually have before and after school but have had them a few full days over the holidays and they tend to come out with the words while Ive popped into the kitchen so they think I dont hear them .... have explained in depth to them that not acceptable and how 'x' mummy wouldnt be happy if they went home using that work (in fact 'x' sais nothing so wasnt really a problem but they didnt figure that bit out :laughing: )... also threatened to discuss with parent (even though I know thats where the words came from - but im pretty sure my parent would back me up)

In your position I would request a face to face meeting with parent and explain to them it has to stop and now.... and if they dont back you up then you will consider giving notice as you cannot accept this behaviour so its up to the parent.... (basically I would do the same as Sarah :thumbsup: )

Pipsqueak
18-04-2010, 10:16 PM
How do you all deal with swearing? :)

I would teach them some really foul and offensive words and see how their family likes it!!!

OR

have a bar of soap at the ready and use it liberally!

ok - I wouldn't but I would go completely along with Sarahs advice.

(Own 5yr old comes out with some choice words occasionally, he has no idea what he is saying but he still gets into mega trouble for it)

karen m
19-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Hate swearing in adults cannot abide it in children ,