PDA

View Full Version : DYSPRAXIA

weeteeny
21-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi guys!

do any of you have any experience of children with dyspraxia?
my son's nursery teacher thinks he may have it
my son is 5 and still can't decide whether he is left or right handed, he's kinda clumsy and stiff kneed, not good at using a knife & fork.
i just put it down to him being like his dad-(my ex)my son is very tall for his age and has size 13 feet, his dad is six foot 5 and has size 12 feet-also can be clumsy.
the teacher assures me his mental development is fine and behaviour is brilliant-i just am worried that he will get bullied for being lazy or slow when he goes to school in the summer.
any advice would be brilliant, :)

sarah707
21-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Have a look here -

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/dyspraxia2.shtml

And yes, bullying might well be an issue if he's forever falling over people's bags on the floor, legs stuck out on the mat etc...

He might need a raised writing mat for the table - they make a massive difference because of the wrist angle.

I hope you get a quick diagnosis... push, then push some more... :D

miffy
21-03-2008, 05:50 PM
It's really good that the nursery teacher has picked it up

Hope you can get a quick diagnosis and then any help he needs

Miffy xx

angeldelight
21-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Just wanted to say hope you get it sorted and good luck with this

Angel xx

Deb
21-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Hello, my 11 year old has dyspraxia and there is lots of help out there but you will probably have to fight for it. Go and ask the Gp for a refferal for an assessment; there are lots of things that the occupational therapists can do and help you with.

G is getting a lot better and even manage to tie his shoelaces now lol:)

Cammie Doodle
23-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Weeteeny you really do need to push for help (wrong I know ) but there is lots of help but nobody offers it, it needs to be asked for :angry: Good Luck

charleyfarley
23-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Hope you get this sorted and as quick as possible

Good luck

Carol xx

Banana
25-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Let us know if you get it confirmed.

Glad that the teacher picked up on it - better to know sooner.

Good luck

xx

anneriddington
25-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I was glad to read the teacher is on the ball, my son has dyspraxia and dyslexia. Its sad to say but pushy mums rule:clapping:

I had to fight to get my son help, in the end I changed his primary school and he didn't look back, we found learning to tie shoe laces, ride a bike and swimming all the things boys want to do were difficult. Stick with it though as now my son (11) is doing well in secondary school and excells in French - he knows he always has to go the extra mile to learn anything new so french didn't phase him

Best advice I can give you is make learning fun - we use to balance maltesers on trays and try to walk in a straight line if it was on the tray at the end he could eat it. And to hel with reading we would follow recipes as he loves cooking. Fine tune what you do to the childs likes. No one likes to do something thats difficult!

Teresa
25-03-2008, 09:40 PM
my daughter has dyspraxia too and we had to fight to even get them to listen and believe me and her primary assistant, i agree with you on the bullying once my daughter went to the comp she was really bullied and nothing was done about it. i had to pull her out of school and home educate her for over a year, she is now back and they have now realised it was seriuos and they are now giving her excellent support. but i really think she would have been ignored if i hadnt put my foot down.