PDA

View Full Version : Babyled Weaning

aly
21-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Does anyone do this with their own child and/or mindee??

I had big trouble with my 2 boys, the eldest is not so bad no being 6 but my 3 year old has a very limited diet. He used to love certain things but won't even touch those things now.

Someone on my baby forum introduced me to Babyled weaning, and I must say it's fab. :thumbsup:

My daughter [poppy] is months old and has already had spag/pasta bol with us and even has a cooked dinner with us. :p

She will give most things a try which with weaning the other 2 it was very hard to get past the mush stage.

Does anyone else use this form of weaning?

sarah707
21-03-2008, 03:04 PM
My baby mindee's mum asked me to read this site as it is what she is using with him after having all sorts of problems with the 2 year old.

Seems to be working so far, he has a very varied diet and is not at all picky... suppose only time will tell and every child is different... :D

http://www.babybanana.biz/

crazybones
21-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I have never heard of this before but it looks very interesting. I had a bit of trouble weaning William but that was more my fault than his. If he coughed or gagged a little I would go into a blind panic and the whole of my stomach did a flip probably because he stopped breathing twice when he was less than 24 hours old due to gagging on the mucus that hadnt cleared. So when he first started eating I really was a nervous wreck but this method may have helped me. It does look fascinating and I am going to read a little more.

aly
21-03-2008, 03:22 PM
try this one too
http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/

Tatia
21-03-2008, 05:40 PM
How interesting. I had a 1 year old mindee that would gag and then projectile vomit on me several times a week if her food was too lumpy. No kidding. It was so frustrating but her mother pureed all her foods for so long and kept her on jars that she couldn't tolerate texture.

miffy
21-03-2008, 05:44 PM
I've never heard of this before but it looks very interesting so will do some reading later

Thanks for the websites ladies

Miffy xx

aly
21-03-2008, 05:45 PM
thats just like my eldest...

I kept him on the baby tins of beans!!!

angeldelight
21-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the information

Angel xx

deeb66
22-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I have never come across this before

Have to say it looks interesting.

wellybelly
22-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Ie not heard of this but im really interested

Lincsminder
22-03-2008, 07:54 PM
This is how i weaned my youngest two. Quite messy at times but it worked well for us.

Alibali
23-03-2008, 06:33 PM
this looks great for my nephew, he does the gagging/projectile vomitting thing, so will defo pass this info on. Ta much.

Ali :)

Donkey
26-03-2008, 11:27 PM
i am just about to start this with my little one.

:clapping:

miffy
27-03-2008, 07:21 AM
i am just about to start this with my little one.

:clapping:

Let us know how it goes

miffy xx

Saz
27-03-2008, 09:01 AM
I tried this with my own dd (no.4) and it was fantastic. So easy and no problems moving from stage to stage with jars. I wish I had known about it before I had my fourth child.

She only has four teeth at nearly 18months but she can eat most family meals herself with very little assistance. She will attempt most foods and eats such a variety of food. Now she makes very little mess when eating and eats off a plate with a fork and just resorts to fingers every now and again.

Spangles
17-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Sorry to drag this old message up!

Was just researching baby-led weaning for Chloe and this has given me lots of information.

Has anyone got any suggestions for the first things to give to her? I want to try it this evening meal time while we eat, she's 6 months and 1 week and I want to do both purees and BLW so she has a mixture of textures and ways to eat.

Could I give her a stick of cheese today? She's had baby rice and puree for over a week and she's just beginning to swallow some - I think! Ha!

aly
17-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Hiya

Poppy's first food was a brocoli..thing? {what is it called lol**
the whole stalk thing, she nibbles at it...now at 2.5 it's still her favourite thing on her plate.

I will pm you a load of info i have for you, but it will take me some time to conjour up.

xx

i think the main thing is chipsized chunks of food, any food...Not sure on cheese but again it will end in the mouth and she will probably just suck on it.

Somone else I know, her daughter was sat on her mums lap and just pinched a piece of steak, she gummed it too death lol.

The thing you need to realise is the choking thing....the difference between them actually choking and the swallowing stage as they are different....Poppy didnt once choke on anything she had.

Spangles
17-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks Aly. The choking does really worry me actually but I've read some information and it does make sense to give it a go but, as I say, I will do purees too to begin with.

I will look forward to receiving the information, thank you.
x

littletreasures
17-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Aly, if I pm you please could you send me the info as well.

One of my Mum's wants to do this with her baby (who is 4 months old now) when she's older. I start to have her next month so want to know what's involved.

Never knew about it when my kids were little.

auntym
17-03-2010, 06:00 PM
A childminding freind of mine does this for her mindee, at mums request and mum supplies the food daily that she wants to give him.
anything from rice and chicken to brocolli, garlic bread peices, tomatoes cut into quarters, halved strawberries, halved plums, sliced boiled carrots, and he eats it fine, hes 7mths old.

aly
17-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Aly, if I pm you please could you send me the info as well.

One of my Mum's wants to do this with her baby (who is 4 months old now) when she's older. I start to have her next month so want to know what's involved.

Never knew about it when my kids were little.

of course

xxx

aly
17-03-2010, 06:15 PM
A childminding freind of mine does this for her mindee, at mums request and mum supplies the food daily that she wants to give him.
anything from rice and chicken to brocolli, garlic bread peices, tomatoes cut into quarters, halved strawberries, halved plums, sliced boiled carrots, and he eats it fine, hes 7mths old.

Aww thats fab...I think it gives them a good variety of food, Poppy now, even though she doesnt eat a lot she will eat a variety of food.

:thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
17-03-2010, 06:39 PM
i have done it this way for 23 years!

its the way my mum did with me and my siblings....i thought this was the way ALL babies were weaned!

So its got a name...good grief!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

my lot were weaned onto veg stews and lentils....no tins or packets...and that was in the 80s when there were some dodgy packet stuff around...just add water....yeuk!

Chell
17-03-2010, 09:36 PM
i have done it this way for 23 years!

its the way my mum did with me and my siblings....i thought this was the way ALL babies were weaned!

So its got a name...good grief!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

my lot were weaned onto veg stews and lentils....no tins or packets...and that was in the 80s when there were some dodgy packet stuff around...just add water....yeuk!

With BLW you'd not do things like stews/lentils till the baby had the pincer grip to pick things up or was able to spoon fed themselves. BLW means the baby controls what goes into his/her mouth, they are not spoonfed at all.

I mainly did BLW with my third. I never pureed anything for her but did spoon feed her with yoghurts and porridge. Her first taste of food was a Scotch pancake, my DAd had her on his knee while he was eating, she grabbed some and put it to her mouth.

Those Organix snacks are very good first solid foods if you are worried about choking. I am thinking of the apple rice cakes and the carrot sticks (like crisps) as they melt in the mouth.

As someone else said, anything that it chip shaped is easy for them to hold at first. Butternut squash, sweet potato, potato, parsnip all roast well. Carrot sticks can be boiled till quite soft. DD liked baby sweetcorn but they do tend to come out the other end in chunks. :p

Toast is good, you can put some St Dalfours jam, smooth nut butters (less allergy risk with almond or cashew nut butters than peanut) or melted cheese. Frech toast/eggy bread is another good one.

I used to cut a jkt spud into wedges and pop it back in the oven with some grated cheese. I'd let that cool and give it to DD.

Just think of anything in your meal that you can give her by hand such as yorkshire puds, pasta (penne is a good shape to hold), noodles, spaghetti, roast spuds, etc.

It gets easier once they have the pincer grip as they can then pick up smaller things.

Don't worry if she doesn't eat a lot, for the first few months it is more about tastes than nutrition as she'll get what she needs from her milk. You might think all the foods ends up on the floor but you'll see she has eaten something from her nappy contents. :laughing:

singingcactus
18-03-2010, 07:45 AM
I let all my kids lead their feeding - eating. They would eat anything from the word go. They could eat hand-held food and feed them selves, if it was mushy food they would just shove fistfuls in their mouths. As parsleypetal says this is just the way kids used to be weaned lol. Allowing the child to lead the way is the best way to go, but don't just stick to finger foods, allow them to try casseroles and the like too, they can feed themselves stuff like that without knowing the pincer grip, thats what palms are for.
And if you allow them to also have a fork on their plate they will be using that by the time they are 9-10 months old.

WibbleWobble
18-03-2010, 08:31 AM
With BLW you'd not do things like stews/lentils till the baby had the pincer grip to pick things up or was able to spoon fed themselves. BLW means the baby controls what goes into his/her mouth, they are not spoonfed at all.

I mainly did BLW with my third. I never pureed anything for her but did spoon feed her with yoghurts and porridge. Her first taste of food was a Scotch pancake, my DAd had her on his knee while he was eating, she grabbed some and put it to her mouth.

Those Organix snacks are very good first solid foods if you are worried about choking. I am thinking of the apple rice cakes and the carrot sticks (like crisps) as they melt in the mouth.

As someone else said, anything that it chip shaped is easy for them to hold at first. Butternut squash, sweet potato, potato, parsnip all roast well. Carrot sticks can be boiled till quite soft. DD liked baby sweetcorn but they do tend to come out the other end in chunks. :p

Toast is good, you can put some St Dalfours jam, smooth nut butters (less allergy risk with almond or cashew nut butters than peanut) or melted cheese. Frech toast/eggy bread is another good one.

I used to cut a jkt spud into wedges and pop it back in the oven with some grated cheese. I'd let that cool and give it to DD.

Just think of anything in your meal that you can give her by hand such as yorkshire puds, pasta (penne is a good shape to hold), noodles, spaghetti, roast spuds, etc.

It gets easier once they have the pincer grip as they can then pick up smaller things.

Don't worry if she doesn't eat a lot, for the first few months it is more about tastes than nutrition as she'll get what she needs from her milk. You might think all the foods ends up on the floor but you'll see she has eaten something from her nappy contents. :laughing:

reading what you have put i think i do a combination....mine always have a chunk of something in one hand and the other hand in a bowl of somthing...with a little help from me. the mess on the floor?....i have a very hungry cat who has a thing for even veggie stuff....i do anti bac the floor after!

Chell
18-03-2010, 12:28 PM
reading what you have put i think i do a combination....mine always have a chunk of something in one hand and the other hand in a bowl of somthing...with a little help from me. the mess on the floor?....i have a very hungry cat who has a thing for even veggie stuff....i do anti bac the floor after!

I did a combination too. DD was spoonfed porridge for breakfast but her lunch and dinner was handheld but often followed by a yoghurt, again spoonfed.

mamasheshe
18-03-2010, 01:32 PM
i baby led dd2 it's great but messy!

PixiePetal
18-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I did a mixture for my kids when they were little.

DD started on rice at 11 weeks and progressed quickly. By 6 months she ate most things. I know she had a KFC chicken and chips at 8 months :blush: I had taken her a jar but she stuffed the meal!

Now she is almost 16yrs and the fussiest eater in the world. By 18 months she even picked a hidden sprout out of her xmas lunch :rolleyes: By 3 she could tell when I had brought a different brand of mature cheddar. She does have very acute senses which I think puts her off.

Oh well can't win them all!

Tinglesnark
18-03-2010, 02:16 PM
yep! :thumbsup: its fab! ive done it with ds2 and he eats everything. his fave being fruit and veg. they have the same as we have although cut up into easy to handle pieces. ds1 rarely eats much if any of his meals but ds2 always eats every last bite. i do spoon feed him yoghurts/custards and other things that are just too sloppy for him to pick up but he hates me doing it haha. he is getting the hang of his cutlery though! my carpet is ruined from it because i keep forgetting to put a mat down but thats my own silly fault haha

i meant to add that i am not a strict babyled weaner because im not an extremist and i dont agree with the whole "if the baby cant pick it up they cant eat it" mentality.

each to their own of course but i like to take snippets from across the boards and apply them in my own way rather than follow someone elses rather strict guidelines :thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
18-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I did a mixture for my kids when they were little.

DD started on rice at 11 weeks and progressed quickly. By 6 months she ate most things. I know she had a KFC chicken and chips at 8 months :blush: I had taken her a jar but she stuffed the meal!

Now she is almost 16yrs and the fussiest eater in the world. By 18 months she even picked a hidden sprout out of her xmas lunch :rolleyes: By 3 she could tell when I had brought a different brand of mature cheddar. She does have very acute senses which I think puts her off.

Oh well can't win them all!

i think myself fortunate that all my girls wouldnt eat were raw tomatoes...neither of them!

DD#2 (on autistic spectrum) regularly informs her college that spinach and goats cheese are her fave foods..and these have been since year dot!

Some kids i know have had very restricted diets and others a free for all...and not one group has the majority of fussy eaters...as pixiepetal says it depends on the kids!

aly
18-03-2010, 02:24 PM
i think myself fortunate that all my girls wouldnt eat were raw tomatoes...neither of them!

DD#2 (on autistic spectrum) regularly informs her college that spinach and goats cheese are her fave foods..and these have been since year dot!

Some kids i know have had very restricted diets and others a free for all...and not one group has the majority of fussy eaters...as pixiepetal says it depends on the kids!

Poppy will only eat the tomatoes if the pips have been taken out..lol

WibbleWobble
18-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Poppy will only eat the tomatoes if the pips have been taken out..lol

that has made me laugh my socks off!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pesky kids!

aly
18-03-2010, 02:45 PM
that has made me laugh my socks off!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pesky kids!

You obviously know my kids so well :rolleyes:

My son {5** used to stop eating fish fingers/nuggets etc if they had brown/burnt bits on....blooming ridiculous, i now ignore him and dont give in and he eventually ets it.

WibbleWobble
18-03-2010, 02:50 PM
i have a LO who wont eat any food touching another food..apparently her dad is the same!

my eldest used to eat one thing at a time...saving best til last!

My OH and i go to a local cafe deli once in a blue moon. When we were courting i had ordered a salad and ate it...leaving the fruity pieces. I went to the loo...came back....and he had eaten the fruit! I was livid...the fruit was my "pudding". he thought i had left it:angry:

pesky husband!