PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take for you?

Mrs_F
18-04-2010, 11:16 AM
How long did it take from when you decided to become a Childminder to you actually being registered. Just thought we can see what sort of time scale everyone had.

I decided to become one in April 2010 and booked on to ICP 12th April 2010, CRB and AWS vetting is tomorrow, thats as far as I am at the moment x :jump for joy:

The Juggler
18-04-2010, 11:36 AM
it took me 3 months back in 2004, but I think it's nearer 6 months at the moment as CRB's are taking so long. You're getting your vetting/CRB quickly, where are you?

Hebs
18-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I applied in april 2008, finally registered end of Jan 2009 :rolleyes:

Mrs_F
18-04-2010, 11:46 AM
it took me 3 months back in 2004, but I think it's nearer 6 months at the moment as CRB's are taking so long. You're getting your vetting/CRB quickly, where are you?

I'm in Germany :)
it was meant to be may 4th but I managed to change it to tomorrow

The Juggler
18-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm in Germany :)
it was meant to be may 4th but I managed to change it to tomorrow

that was lucky. it's taking such a long time for most people now.:thumbsup:

Toothfairy
18-04-2010, 11:51 AM
It took me around 8 months, mainly because of courses dates and the time it took for the CRB checks to come through.

Mrs_F
18-04-2010, 12:00 PM
that was lucky. it's taking such a long time for most people now.:thumbsup:

Yeah, it says on my form 3-6months but could be longer, can you register with NCMA whilst your checks are in place (to get insurance) or do you wait till your CRB is back?

manjay
18-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah, it says on my form 3-6months but could be longer, can you register with NCMA whilst your checks are in place (to get insurance) or do you wait till your CRB is back?

You don't need your insurance until you have a child to look after:D .

My registration took over 12 months from when I first enquired to when my certificate arrive. TBH I wasn't in a particular rush as I was on maternity leave but there were also some errors along the way, like CSSIW filing my CRB instead of passing my file to an inspector:rolleyes: . In Wales you have to send all you written policies and procedures in with your application form so it can take quite a while before you even get to that stage. I think everyones experiences are different but it sounds like you are moving quite speedy at the moment.

Good luck

amanda x

angiemog
18-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Jan 09 to May 09.......would have been sooner but my husbands crb check took 4 weeks longer than mine as he had lived in a different county for a while. x

Shirlwith3
18-04-2010, 03:24 PM
It took me 9mwks from sending forms to receiving my cert that was in 2007

Tam's Tribe
18-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Hi

It took me 4.5 months from my decision to start childminding . . . (after our site closing and us all being made redundant, nope I aint bitter it was a blessing in disguise and one of the better things that happened to me I LOVE BEING A CHILDMINDER!!!) :thumbsup: and I LOVE THE FORUM and all its members, have actually met and virtually met so many lovely people, albeit a bit mad :laughing: but lovely people!! . . . to receiving my certificate in the post.

But I know it can take anything from 6 to 12 months where I am. However, I was . . . shall we say . . . proactive with the process. Called for the next course, got on waiting lists for earlier courses coz someone always cancels, followed up paperwork, CRB, etc.

Good Luck

Lovies
Tam
x

Gizmo
18-04-2010, 05:14 PM
I put my forms in on the 3rd March and got my reg cert on the 3rd June last year, I am in Scotland so a different process here

Goatgirl
18-04-2010, 06:12 PM
HI :),
I enquired in June of 2008, got registered in june 2009!!
Mainly it took ages because my local authority didn't have a space in a briefing session for me until the september, then I couldn't attend the ICP course they booked me on and had to wait for another one. Got the application forms at the end of that course, and then it took another 12 weeks for my crb, but further delays because my dd turned 16 during the may and they said i would have to wait for that date to apply for her crb :0.
Very stressful at the time, but great now that I have a regular income. Worth the hassles to be working for myself :D

Leanne59
18-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi
enquired about been a childminder in may 09, did courses in sept till nov. moved house then sent paper jan and got certifcate in feb 10.
hope it doesnt take to long!

sarak31
18-04-2010, 06:56 PM
It took me about 3 months about 3 years ago but I have just spoken to the NCMA rep in my area for a friend who is moving up here to cmind (in another county currently) and am told it is at least 6 months now - if not 9!

The Juggler
18-04-2010, 08:52 PM

i would wait until your first mindee starts. you can arrange it instantly over the phone or a few days before. no point wasting your money.

birch24
18-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I decided to do it in october 2009 , booked on the first course which was begining of jan 2010 but it was cancelled due to heavy snow fall, i did the course begining of feb registered end of march. so i suppose it was quick once i had done the initial course.

cant wait to get started now. have a baby starting for a couple of days in may.

:clapping: :clapping:

snufflepuff
18-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Erm- booked on to DHC course June 2009, course started in September, sent application November, pre-reg visit December, certificate arrived mid February. So 8 months, but 5 months from the start of the course/ briefing.

Mrs_F
18-04-2010, 09:07 PM
i would wait until your first mindee starts. you can arrange it instantly over the phone or a few days before. no point wasting your money.

Thats what I thought but on the information pack I have, it says:
If I agree with the report, to sign and send it back with a copy of your NCMA insurance, allowing them to release your certificate.
Thats why I wasn't sure?

birch24
18-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Must be different for you , we dont have to get insurance until we start minding.

Beetlejuice
18-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I went on the childminder briefing sessions in June 06, started my ICP September 06 and was registered in January 07. It would have been quicker but I was pregnant and didn't send my Ofsted forms off til September. I sat my ICP exam two days before giving birth to my daughter! I did First Aid in May 07 and started minding in September 07. I can't believe I've been minding three years this September - where has the time gone:eek:

Demonjill
18-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Sent forms off May 09

Reg came through Dec 09:)