PDA

View Full Version : few qestions about new mindee ???

LittleStar's
17-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I work with my husband and we have had a new mindee who is just 2 , he started on monday so only had him one week! He is very clingy to my husband and wont let me do anything for him! If my husband oes out to the shop/school pick up / the TOILET he sits by the gate SCREAMING! I thought he was going to be sick the other day it was that bad. I try to encorage him to do activities with me but no chance!

He wont eat anything but rubbish!!!! so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas i could use! everyday we sit him down with the other children and give him exactly the same as them but he just sits there saying no! Then when the others are finished I give them a yoghurt, he wants one of those but not sure wether to give it or not. I know he is only young but I say to the others if you dont eat it up you wont get a yoghurt!
Also he constantly points up to my cupboards saying biscuit and cake, bt i cant feed him that all day!

I can see his mum gives him rubbish to eat all day just to stop him having tantrums (he does have a little temper), she came the other day whilst we where having snack (selection of fruit) he wasnt touching it so i asked her if he eats it at home! and you cold tell by her face she never gives it, she just said no he doesnt have much of it. He arrives everyday with either a 'brew' or juice in a baby's bottle!!!

I know its early days, Im just looking for some tips I could use now to nip it on the bud, sorry if I rambled! :laughing:

I know his mm just gives him rbbisj

sarah707
18-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Have you shared your healthy eating and drinking policy with mum? That's the first step I think... no brew or juice in bottles, cups with water or milk at snack time only.

Then with the meals, put a little bit of what he might like in front of him with something new to tempt him.

So maybe a bread stick and some banana or a piece of toast and some grapes... that way he is getting energy and nutrition but being offered new tastes at the same time.

Huge praise for trying things... no comment if he doesn't.

Is there a male figure at home? You don't mention dad.. I just wonder why he is bonding with your husband so strongly.

I'd give that one time, he's still new and settling.

Hth :D

huggableshelly
18-04-2010, 08:35 AM
its always hard with a new child, luckily he is fine with your Hubby so not constantly screaming though it doesnt help you much when he needs to go out.

I would do as Sarah has suggested with the food, and would look into using a healthy eating chart too with pictures of fruit on there (search the net for a fruit and veg poster) then when he tires them add a sticker to that food, when he gains say 5 stickers maybe offer a special sticker to take home if he enjoys stickers ofcourse.

also do play with fruit, tactile stuff maybe fruit paint prints, cutting bananas, stabbing apples with a plastic needle, weighing fruit if you have scales to comapre which is heavier etc.

The Juggler
18-04-2010, 09:34 AM
I agree, get in there early sharing your healthy eating policy to set out from the start that you WON'T feed him biscuits all day and that any unacceptable foods/drinks brought to the setting will not be allowed.

I think the thing with your husband will settle after a while.

LittleStar's
18-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Thats brilliant , I love all of those ideas and will try them all!

Now to find a fruit and veg poster!

Thanks for all you help x x x