PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm giving up

Pudding Girl
16-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I am working very part time and have been for almost 5 months now, no new calls, nothing out there - plus with all the nasty stuff last year my confidence has gone :(

I'm very very seriously thinking about giving up CMing and getting a job - regular hours, no messy house, no childrens toys and stuff all over, regular pay, adult contact, making new friends - but the reason I got into CMing was I couldn't find a job :rolleyes:

I don't know what to do for the best :(

funfunfun
16-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I am working very part time and have been for almost 5 months now, no new calls, nothing out there - plus with all the nasty stuff last year my confidence has gone :(

I'm very very seriously thinking about giving up CMing and getting a job - regular hours, no messy house, no childrens toys and stuff all over, regular pay, adult contact, making new friends - but the reason I got into CMing was I couldn't find a job :rolleyes:

I don't know what to do for the best :(

What about advertiseing on websites and in and around local schools childrens centre etc ......???? can nothing be done to build up your bussiness ??

Blaze
16-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh know - that would be a shame!:( ... perhaps put in a last attempt on advertising & look for a job at the same time - that way you can leave it to fate? Whatever you decide don't become a stranger!:)

The Juggler
16-04-2010, 01:37 PM
sorry to hear that hon. what about one last push whilst you apply for jobs. you've nothing to lose either way then if you get offered a job you can choose which you'd rather.

Pudding Girl
16-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Still advertising as ever, I don't ever stop advertising.

helenlc
16-04-2010, 01:40 PM
How about going on a mad advertising drive and giving yourself say 8 weeks and see what happens?

Put fliers up in schools, childrens centre, Dr and Dentists. Look in your local supermarket and see if they have a notice board. I put signs up in the newsagents near the local train station. Ask at the local colleges to put a poster up.

Do you go to a childminder drop in? The same few of us go to ours and we all know each others vacancies if we get an enquiry that we cannot do - we pass it on. It might be worht you going along and getting yourself known there. Also Toddler groups and make sure people know you are a childminder.
Look on VistaPrint for an offer of a free advertising t-shirt - I think they have an offer on at the moment.

I got like this about 18 mths ago - looking at nanny work again and trying to work out if it would fit in with my own children. Then a full timer came along. Stick it out for a little longer if you can!!

Good luck:thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
16-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Hugs hunny xx Have you tried advertising in the local Hive at Lossie and Kinloss? There is always a demand for childminders there (I know people on both camps).

And people are located at either or camp for both.

Don't know what to say really, I know how far away everything is from there, which is why I childminded and worked in Asda whilst I was up there:)

xxx my pudding xxx

Curly Quavers
16-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Keep plugging with the advertising and keep your eye on the paper for jobs.

What kind of work did you do before Cminding?

funemnx
16-04-2010, 04:41 PM
I hope you don't have to give up CM if you enjoy it! I had 6 months of nothing and then a few hours a week to start with so worked part time at tesco and also filled in some daytime hours with a few house cleaning jobs. The money for cleaning is not too bad (£7.00 p/h?) and easy to give short notice if a child does come along..... Hope all works out for you x

Tatjana
16-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Really hope your luck changes soon and you get some calls asap :thumbsup:

xx

youarewhatyoueat
16-04-2010, 07:10 PM
No calls here either but I have contacted local hotels and offered my services and holiday cottages. I have taken out nanny insurance so I can now do overnight care but in the parents home and I am also working for an agency at weekends and the Local children centre has asked me to run a creche, and i've registered with social services for emergency care.
I have doubled my earnings and halfed the hours I work childminding !! don't give up too soon have a look on agency websites and think about the hours you could offer.

Alibali
16-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Sorry to hear this, you do such a good job, hope things pick up. Don't let the past put you off. Onwards and upwards.

SandCastles
16-04-2010, 09:57 PM
good luck with what ever you decide. By the way I spoke to my local f.i.s yesterday to inform them of my up coming vacancy, only to be told that only my name appears on their system, without any other details, so it woudl not be picked up on any of their searches!! they are sending me a form to update their database. I will be making sure they receive my info.

Pudding Girl
17-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the ideas but as I say I never stop advertising even when full as I know what it can be like, full one week, empty the next.

TBH since late last year I've not enjoyed it, had a malicious complaint made against me (unfounded by CC) but the damage has been done and I've pretty much pulled away from all the local CMs because I don't trust anyone anymore. I've lost confidence and I don't enjoy it anymore, I feel like I am always looking over my shoulder.
I don't feel I am giving the best care I could, well not care as such that is always the same, but my heart isn't in it and I no longer spend hours finding new things to do and all that, you know what I mean.

I've started applying for jobs and will see what happens. I think I would keep my reg going though just in case.