PDA

View Full Version : parents who dont understand AAAAGGGGHH

desiderata
16-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I have given out parent questionnaires over two weeks ago and due to the nature of my childrens backgrounds this has resulted in me giving at 15 of them. I dont have that many children unfortunately. Well I have had only 1 back yet. I keep mentioning them and the reply I get is . "Oh its at home somewhere I dont have time to do that" Well I have to start before them to be ready for them and after they have gone to clean up before I start with my family and housework. Where do they think I find time to do the daily diaries, learning journals, buy the equipment and toys they use etc. Sorry but needed to rant.xxxxx:angry:

sarah707
16-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I've given out many many questionnaires over the years and rarely get any back :rolleyes:

I've even given second and third copies to some parents who promise to do them for me...

It's just something I keep plugging away with, don't let yourself get upset about it, they often just don't see it as important as us.

You could try asking the questions verbally and writing down the answers... you might get more response that way.

Hugs xx

huggableshelly
16-04-2010, 09:24 AM
write it up and include it in your files ...

15 questionaires sent out, 1 returned. state the dates you remidned parents to return them ... its all evidence that you ahve tried to gain information from parents via questionaires. I know its annoying but it is better than not putting anything there at all.

WibbleWobble
16-04-2010, 09:41 AM
i have given out two questionnaires and got two back!:clapping:

but one did take her time bless her.....even after sticking post it notes on her handbag! eventually i told her mrs O could come anytime and i was sure she wanted to give mrs o her thoughts as this was important for her child.....this worked..:laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
16-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I have changed tack now - i do little short questionnaires in different formats (ie ticky list or numbering as well as short statement ones) and I organise a 15 minute appointment with the parent(s) - either their collection times or I go to their house and go through it with them.
it actually works!!!:D

AliceK
16-04-2010, 09:58 AM
I have given out questionnaires to all my parents and have got all of them back. I must have good parents :clapping:

xxxxxxx

Jelly Baby
16-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Hmm i sympathise..some parents are awful at replying or good but they never get it back to you.

I do 2 things now..if i need to get any point across the the parents i write them a letter/note/phone and just send it out asking them to contact me if they feel they need to discuss it further. Or call them if it is important as they always speak to you on the phone.

Or i send out my monthly questionairre which has the main points of what we have done and again they can contact me if they need anything.

merry
16-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I gave out mine to 9 families and got 3 back, just made a note of it for Ofsted purposes! I'm not going to keep asking parents, most of them are very busy and have really stressful lives so my questionnaires are probably the last thing on their minds when they get a bit of peace and quiet to themselves.

:)

margaret
16-04-2010, 07:00 PM
I gave my parents a letter last week to say ofsted was coming ,wanted feedback forms back within 4 days ,then said if they dont come back like last lot of forms i gave out didnt,dont expect me to write letters for housing benefits ,goverment funding ,etc told them life is give and take i will do for them if they do for me,the forms came back promptly ,i was surprised,think i will say this all the time,i am getting more assertive but god its hard work, the kids are easy.

rachelle
16-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I wrote to mine and told them it was an ofsted requirement for me to get feedback and gave a list of things ofsted needed to know :laughing: I also put in a reminder about my grade staying with me for 3 years and how inportnat their feedback was ot me in taking my business forward!
I got nicely written letters to Ofsted in reply (via email for me to print:rolleyes: ) but they did manage to sign them themselves!

wendywu
16-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Just fill them in yourself and say " please sign this" :laughing: