PDA

View Full Version : Parent proving packed lunch, wwyd?

crazyhazy
15-04-2010, 08:22 PM
I am happy to provide lunch included in my fees, my reasoning being it would be easier to give my children and any mindees the same lunch. But the only mindee I have brings her own packed lunch. Mum said that's what she done for the last cm so would continue even though I said she didn't need to.

So I'm maybe jumping the gun a bit as she's only been two days so far but these are the lunches so far

tue - cheese spread sandwich, apple, babybel (all perfectly fine), packet of fruit pastils, hula hoops, fruit & choc cereal bar

today - chicken sandwich, babybel (again fine) fruit pastils, hula hoops, pack of mini jaffa cakes

Now my own girls don't get a lot of sweets, crisps etc. Today I gave them some quavers with the sandwiches cos she had the hula hoops but even then my eldest was saying whys C got daddys crisps. So far I've given her a few of the pastils rather than the whole packet and half the jaffa cakes today but again my girls were wanting some too. So, wwyd? Do I have a word with the mum? Should prob say the child is 3yr.

mamasheshe
15-04-2010, 08:28 PM
say to mum what the problem is you can't let other mindees have sweets ect (maybe try not to mention dds as you may get her back up) and it's causing problems could she maybe have a yogurt instead if it continues I'd be tempted to put the offending items back in the lunch box but don't know if that would go down to well:rolleyes:

karen m
15-04-2010, 08:31 PM
my lunches are included,do you have a healthy eating policy,if so i would give parent a copy of this not saying she will agree,i have this policy and give it to parents when they sign contracts and they agree with it till it suits them to send sweets even though i provide lunch they get dropped after pre-school (11.30)already eating sweets ,i bring them in put sweets down while i take coats off forget to give sweets back and put them in bag till home time,get a couple of weeks with no sweets then start again ,my house my rules NO SWEETS

angiemog
15-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I went on a healthy eating course....I added in to my news letter what could and couldn't be included in a pack lunch. I added on that one of the requirements as a childminder was to follow the healthy eating guidelines.
How old is the mindee? I probably would give her the healthy bits add a few of your own and send the other stuff home. x

nannymcflea
15-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Most definately send the sweets home!

Then google a "healthy lunch box" and get some sheets to send out to all parents, so you are not just targetting one child.

I would not allow my own kids sweets every day and would never send sweets in a lunch box where I knew other kids may not be allowed.

plan some keeping healthy activities for everyone to get involved with.:thumbsup:

crazyhazy
15-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks part of the problem is she is my only mindee, so she'd know I badically didn't approve and she seems to be the sort of person who thinks everyone is out to get her. Tbh I'm starting to regret taking the child on cos I can just see the parent causing problems.

babs
15-04-2010, 08:45 PM
i have a mindee thats 2 1/2 turned up with jaffa cakes for breakfast..:eek: (that reminds me they r still in my fridge) tin of dora spagetti for lunch with loveheart sweets a lolly( i hate lolly's), and wostits, ..... she had pasta and tuna with me and a side salad loves cucumber, mixed fresh fruits and a yoguct. sent tin,sweets and wostits home and said she didnt want this as she asked for what i was having. most days i get the bag back with what went home day b4 but lo has what everyone else has, mum is fine with this but says she feels she has to put her food in bag i have used spagetti and done her some toast with it if shes fell asleep and woke late but sweets never see the light of day in my house (stay in bag.) only problem i had was dad dropping and saying heres your bag so you can share your sweets with barbie then she asks for them but i say maybe after ive had a cup of tea, she forgets goes and plays most days never asks again... i include breakfast and lunch in my prices mum knows this.. but i guess some just feel they need to put food in.. missed off kitkat too..

haribo
15-04-2010, 08:53 PM
i have one that sends sweets in lo s bag -i just `forget` to get them out and i think lo has got the message even though mum hasnt :laughing:

Mouse
15-04-2010, 09:02 PM
You could say to mum that her child has seen what your own children are eating & wants the same as them, so why doesn't she let you provide lunch for now & see how it goes?

If she still insists on sending a packed lunch, just send the sweets home & tell her her child didn't want them as your's weren't having any.

It may be bending the truth a little bit, but it saves confrontation & the mum thinking you're being critical. If she agrees to it, give her a list of what you provide each day and tell her that's the sort of healthy meal you provide. It might give her a few tips :thumbsup:

auntym
15-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Id pop them back and say would you mind if we used the sweets as fridays treat? I have a 4 yr old who use to walk thru my door at 8 am munchin smarties. Shut door and they went straight in my fridge. Went home with dad later. I told them was not an appropriate breakfast treat!

christine e
16-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks part of the problem is she is my only mindee, so she'd know I badically didn't approve and she seems to be the sort of person who thinks everyone is out to get her. Tbh I'm starting to regret taking the child on cos I can just see the parent causing problems.

Then stand your ground and say exactly what you want her to do cos it sounds like you are not too bothered if she takes the hump and leaves!

In the past I had a similar situation but sweets were not involved it was jaffa cakes being sent and the child would leave her sandwiches and eat the jaffa cakes, I use to take the jaffa cakes off her until she ate her sandwiches which she was not too pleased about but i stood my ground

Good luck

Cx

The Juggler
16-04-2010, 06:59 AM
I saw a woman yesterday at the bus stop at 0900 in the mornign with a double buggy and a 1 year old and 2 year old in it eating a bag of quavers EACH!:eek: :panic: :panic:

I would return them explaining to the parent that you're only allowed to provide healthy foods whether you buy them or just give them to the child out of their lunchbox, as per ofsted requirements.

Carol M
16-04-2010, 07:25 AM
I write in my info pack that I provide healthy meals and snacks but if parents wish to send their own please discuss with me what is suitable to send. I can then talk about my Healthy Eating policy , what is suitable to be re-heated e.g not last nights takeaway! and ask parents what treats they are happy for their children to have on a special occasion.
I can then provide them with leaflets about.... Food Hygiene, Healthy Eating, the lunchbox one and stuff on drinks etc if they would like them.
I have still had parents send unsuitable stuff so it just gets sent back. If a problem happens I just refer them back to info given at start.
Carol:)

Mookins
16-04-2010, 07:58 AM
hwy would someone that young need all that?
yuk shes have no teeth by the time shes 4!

TheBTeam
16-04-2010, 08:03 AM
I provide information on what I am required to do and suitable lunch box items, I do not allow sweets, however I do not mind biscuits if they are eaten after sandwiches, fruit and yoghurts, Jaffa cakes in particular are one of the better types of biscuit thing for you, they are low in fat and provide a good energy boost.

FussyElmo
16-04-2010, 08:11 AM
I provide information on what I am required to do and suitable lunch box items, I do not allow sweets, however I do not mind biscuits if they are eaten after sandwiches, fruit and yoghurts, Jaffa cakes in particular are one of the better types of biscuit thing for you, they are low in fat and provide a good energy boost.

I knew there was a reason I had to eat Jaffa cakes :laughing:

I always say to the parents that I sort out the treats so they all get the same and give them fruit :)

aly
16-04-2010, 08:25 AM
My mindee comes with a packed lunch asnd if there is anything in there that is not at all healthy, it goes back in the bag and sent home.

if you can't say anything just tell her she didnt want them etc