PDA

View Full Version : Mindees finishing time

terrydoo73
15-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I started a contract for 2 mindees (twins) over a year ago with it being for 3 days a week Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 8 am to 6 pm. Part of the agreement was that I would leave them home, literally a stones throw from my house as mum would not be back until 7 pm and dad drives a lorry. Fine no probs and this was the way it continued up until Christmas past.

Then mum is diagnosed with breast cancer and has had to go through chemo etc. So she has been off work since the beginning of the year and will not return until October time. The twins still do come to me as she is on paid sick leave.

However the days of the week have changed - I will always have them 3 days but it varies according to her treatment eg today is her 4th treatment so I have had them yesterday, today and tomorrow then they will come again on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday of next week and will be back to normal days for another 2 weeks after this. Also as mum is at home she is not getting them over to me some days until they wake up etc so they might arrive with me at 9 am one day 8.30 the next and say 8 the following day.

I have however stuck to the 6 pm finishing time each night - 10 hours is a long day when you have been sitting waiting since 8 every morning! I am starting to question if this is OK with mum though. Last night for instance I landed with her just 5 minutes past 6 and I don't think she was best pleased. She had obviously been in the middle of washing the floors and furniture was moved about which the twins just dived into the middle of.

Am I being unreasonable in keeping to the contracted finishing time? I do have my own personal family time which is really on hold until they go home. I understand perfectly well that she is not too well with the chemo and all but surely I have fulfilled what she is paying me for?

Twins are such hard work and now they are getting up to their second birthday and doing with less sleep during the day it is sort of full on at times - I am knackered come the evening.

caz3007
15-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Its her choice to bring them late in the mornings, so why should you keep them after 6 as contracted. Even if she is unwell from her chemo (sympathise with her) but you still have a family life and she should make alternative arrangements if necessary.

Do you have a good enough relationship that you could explain to her that no way are you prepared to work beyond 6 as you have family stuff to do and it takes time to get things organised for the next morning too.

The Juggler
15-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I think you are absolutely right. You are already doing a favour taking them home so no you stick to contracted times, hon. Late arrivals does not equal late collection/drop home time.

Tatjana
15-04-2010, 03:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with dropping them at 6pm, that is the agreement!

xx

Ripeberry
15-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Is 6pm your usual finish time? If it is then you could remind her that anything over 6pm is extra? Maybe have a word with her and see if she wants to move the times (contract review) until she starts back at work, then she does not have to get up so early (nor do you) and maybe she will pay the extra for maybe up to 6.30pm?
My MIL is having chemo as well at the moment and she is trying to hard to be brave (she is 75yrs old) :(

TheBTeam
15-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I personally think she is lucky it is 5 past 6, I would have been there for 6:laughing:

I would just say that you understand her situation, but you really do need to finish at 6, otherwise with your own stuff to sort out you wouldnt be anywhere near ready for the morning! She knows the finishing time, if she chooses to clean the floors at nearly dropping off time then she knows the consequences!