PDA

View Full Version : Gaaah! Sleep! Or not

gigglinggoblin
15-04-2010, 08:53 AM
New mindee is just 1. Was told you just stick him in a cot and he goes to sleep. Been crying for 10 mins now, refused a sleep at all yesterday and day before took 20 mins of me stroking his nose to go off for just 30 mins. What do you all do when a mindee is like this? Parents want him to have a sleep now, he is tired, he just doesnt want to. Last thing I want to do is get him used to me standing there for 20 minutes.

Kes
15-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Have you asked the parents if they put them down in a certain way such as a comforter, music, dark room etc. Sometimes it can be something simple like that. Otherwise I would just keep trying maybe put them down and leave them 10 mins if they don't settle go get them back up and try again a bit later when their showing signs of tiredness. Do this for a few times then increase to leaving them a few extra mins. I would keep doing this but leave them no longer than 20 mins.
It could be that your house is just too new & exciting but once they have been with you a bit longer they may go to sleep better.

birch24
15-04-2010, 09:11 AM
The parents of a new mindee starting in may have told me their baby only goes to sleep if left to cry. She said I know it sounds horrible but that is always what he has done. they put him down and leave him to cry for up to 10 minutes then if he hasnt gone to sleep in the 10 minutes they get him up and try again a bit later but same process.
maybe try checking with parents what their actual routine is.

:D

Mouse
15-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Could you ask parents to provide a blanket, soft toy or comforter from home, so he's got something familiar when you put him down for a sleep? It must be a bit daunting for a 1yr old to be sent somewhere new, then put in a strange cot, in a strange room and be expected to sleep. Something that smells of home might help.

Or put him in a pushchair downstairs, so he doesn't feel so isolated. Play some music and rock him a little bit if needed. Once he's used to sleeping at your house, you should be able to start putting him a cot instead.

mushpea
15-04-2010, 09:29 AM
I look after a 1yrold, sometimes they will sleep sometimes not, i think there is so much more going on at mine than at home that child just dosent want to miss out and so wont sleep, is it worth waiting another hour and then trying so he is so tierd he will give in?

The Juggler
15-04-2010, 09:38 AM
I look after a 1yrold, sometimes they will sleep sometimes not, i think there is so much more going on at mine than at home that child just dosent want to miss out and so wont sleep, is it worth waiting another hour and then trying so he is so tierd he will give in?

was going to say perhaps parents might let you leave him a bit longer before his nap so he is more tired?

terrydoo73
15-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I would definately persevere with it every day if possible. I have used the method of going in initially 5 mins then extended it to 10 mins and so until eventually they go over - it is the reassurance I think they are looking for!

I have another sleep problem at present - not sleeping long enough! My twin mindees come to me at 8 am having been up and about since 6 and when they do go down shortly after midday I am lucky if I get 3/4 hour max out of them. Yesterday they did this and by the time they left me in the evening - 6pm they were knackered! Then when got them up at the morning snack today at 10 am one fell asleep in the high chair so lifted him up and put him straight in the cot as well as the other one. They have been sleeping now for just over the hour and can hear them waking again - why oh why do they not take longer? I even tried yesterday walking them for over an hour up and down concrete country lanes but still doesn't seem to make them any tireder. They went down after 8 last night - and they have been outside both days. Who said fresh air makes children sleep - I want to kill them!

Twinklestars
15-04-2010, 02:41 PM
i have a baby that mum says just naps in his highchair 2-3 times a day but i just put him in the travel cottat about 11 or 12 o'clock depending what we're doing and he'll sleep for 1 1/2 hours but i just have to turn off the tv if it's on and go out of the room and he drops straight off, maybe he prefers it darker or something?

ajs
15-04-2010, 03:33 PM
if i leave j to cry he will get himself in a state and never settle but if i strap him in the pushchair and rock him gently for about 5 mins he will fall asleep and sleep for about an hour, well worth the 5 mins rocking i say

gigglinggoblin
15-04-2010, 05:53 PM
It is early days and I think it will help when he gets into more of a routine, hopefully its just newness and too much going on. Thanks for all ther replies its nice to know I am not alone! I have done what parents said unfortunately mindee doesnt agree with them! I asked if they would bring something but it hasnt arrived, I think it might be when last mindees mum said 'oh he eats anything' which turned out to be 'as long as its jam butties and cheestrings'! :rolleyes:

I just hate leaving him to cry, as soon as I move to the door he stands up and screams I have left him but he is still standing when I go in and I dont want him to be unhappy here. I am just scared I will train him to expect lots of attention and I cant do that with 2 others to watch. Also dont want him to think he will come downstairs if he cries. Pushchair not worked, havent got car seats sorted yet (dont use it much) but I dont think he sleeps too much in the car from what they have said, not that I would want to have to drive round for him to sleep either. Will see how next week goes, first week of full days so that might make a difference