PDA

View Full Version : 3 one year olds? and retainer question

snufflepuff
14-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Would you do it?!
I have a little girl visiting tomorrow and as yet i dont know what days she would want if Mum decides to sign contracts. I currently have one mindee on a Monday and Wednesday 8.30-3.30, plus my son, so theres a good chance i will have all 3 together at some point. If/ when this new LO starts in June id have a 12 month old, a 16 month old and a 15 month old. I cant really afford to turn the business away but do you think it might be too much? My mum always visits on a Wednesday so would help out so we can get out of the house with one double and one single buggy (shes not CRB checked so i wouldnt leave her alone with mindees)
Also, if she wants to sign, would you ask for a retainer? Would 1/2 fees for be appropriate? It would be payable for about 5-6 weeks. If she wants full time care though i'd charge a bit less i think, otherwise thats quite alot for her to pay out, effectively for nothing, and i dont want to put her off! (also, am i right in thinking that a retainer is not paid back to the parent?)

HELEN10
14-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Yes i would do it as those hours with other mindee are not very long and you only would have a max of two days with all 3, and as you say help around on Wednesdays.

Not really charged a retainer before but would do, you need to find out if she is in a position to be able to afford one, if not, she may just look elsewhere.

Think people usually charge half fees. It is not a case either of being paid for nothing as you could lose income turning away other parents who may want the place sooner.

Hope that helps.

HELEN10

HELEN10
14-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Sorry forgot to say retainers are never paid back or used as credit against future fees. Explain to parent that place is available at any time for use, when full fee will then be charged.

HELEN10

snufflepuff
14-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks Helen. I was thinking that as they are so close in age they will have similar routines/ abilities and so on so shouldnt be too difficult.

I think she is fairly well off but she is in the last bit of her maternity leave which for most women is unpaid- like you say i dont want to put her off! I'll have to have a think about it. For a full week a 1/2 fee retainer would be £80 which is quite alot! I know if it were the other way round i wouldnt be able to pay it and would be forced to look elsewhere.

HELEN10
14-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Yes ages are good for planning activities! £80 like you say is a lot of money esp when on mat leave but if they are well off might not be a lot to them!

Good luck, hope you get the contract.

HELEN10

Jelly Baby
14-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Hi i too would take it if you can! I agree the whole retainer/deposit thing is hard as i never want to scare people off..i had a mum practically biting my hand off until a friend of mine undercut me and she went to her grr! I tend to avoid them now and 'hope' they stay with me till the start date!

The twins i have just taken on dont start for a few weeks and everyone said take 4 weeks but that would have come to £1300:thumbsup: ..nice for me not great for them though!! I decided not to and they seem happy and have signed up so? nothing is guarunteed though unfortunatly in this job!

Good luck hope it works out ok x

onceinabluemoon
14-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks Helen. I was thinking that as they are so close in age they will have similar routines/ abilities and so on so shouldnt be too difficult.

I wouldn't bet on this too heavily, lol! I have had 3 under twos at the same time and it's not easy. Very rewarding though.

When you are at home it isn't too bad, their abilities may be similar but they are all coming from different families so routines could be very different. I doubt they will all nap at the same time for example...

When out and about you will be glad of an extra pair of hands, I think your mum would have to be CRB checked though as she would be in regular contact with the children.

Imagine if they all ran off in different directions at the park - how would you deal with the potential hazards?

I'm honestly not trying to put you off, if you have these things covered or they'll only be together for a few hours then go for it, it's very rewarding and lovely to see little friendships forming. Just go into it with your eyes open ;)

Why not ask for a deposit for the place? Deposits are taken on the first months fees and are non refundable if the parent changes their mind (check the back of your contract if you use ncma contracts , it explains it on there)

Mouse
14-04-2010, 11:59 AM
If you think you could only manage if your mum was there to help, I'd think seriously about not doing it. What if your mum couldn't come one week? How would you manage then?

I also agree that if your mum is a regulare visitor to your house, she should have a CRB done. The rules say something about having CRB for anyone over 16 living in the property, or having regular contact with the children. It would be worth checking out, even if you don't take on the extra child.

angiemog
14-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I have 3 around those ages Mon-Thurs. It is hard work but I find it ok. I do have to be organised if we go out. I usually pack one bag for all 3. I have my husband to help some days which is lovely. So I say go for it. They grow up quickly.
xx

snufflepuff
14-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks everyone. Ive just been talking to my mum about getting a CRB check, so if it goes well tomorrow i'll call ofsted.
It certainly will be hard work but im feeling quite positive about it. Plus in 2 months time my son and the mindee i already have would be that little bit older and perhaps more independent.

If you think you could only manage if your mum was there to help, I'd think seriously about not doing it. What if your mum couldn't come one week? How would you manage then?

I'd manage without her, it would just be a bonus to have the extra pair of hands when she is around! :)

mumx3
14-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I do this 4 days a week and it is knackering! But also fun too.

I have now cut down on the number of before and after schoolies as a result. I prefer working with the young ones rather than rowdy after schoolies and the money is superb!

I would go for it...you just need to solve the problem of getting out and about.

I use a phil and teds with a buggypod which works fine for short distances. Or I get the older 2 (still both 1) to take turns in walking and use the Phil and Teds on its own as a double.

I also find needing to run in 3 different directions at once a toddler groups a challenge!