PDA

View Full Version : What would you do r.e desk?

Jelly Baby
14-04-2010, 07:44 AM
May sound daft but wanted opinions!

When the twins came round for their visit they played really well and all was ok BUT the thing they both loved getting into was my desk..we purposely bought one with a door on so they couldnt touch the pc etc and have never in almost 5 years of minding had an issue with it.
The parents said they were a bit worried about it but it was the fact that they think the children are going to break the pc more than safety (although there is nothing they can hurt themselves on)..

The desk is a lovely oak one and tbh i am a litle resentful to start drilling holes in for a catch to go on as its something that cost quite a lot and like i said no issues till now..im pretty sure after a while they will tire of it but didnt want the aprents to worry thats all (i have said im covered for nay probs anyway)

So dad round next week for settling in day and all im worried about is this bleeding desk!!

ideas?
Thanks

Fabby
14-04-2010, 07:47 AM
I would explain to dad yo have risk assessed it. I would then teach the children not to go near it and not to touch just like you would with a radiator, tv etc. It would need perserveance (sp) but i am sure they could learn it is not there to be touched/played with
hth:p

ajs
14-04-2010, 07:49 AM
has the cupboard got handles or knobs could you not tie string or elastic around the two knobs to keep them closed
or even move another piece of furniture in front of it

jaja
14-04-2010, 07:49 AM
put something in front of the desk, a box with paper in or something that stops the door beng opened, but i wouldnt drill holes in it... kids will get fed up with it soon and if the parents say anything then point out that the children will be taught not to go into it and then distract the children from it...

good luck xx

AliceK
14-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Has it got door knobs on it. I use the plastic cupboard locks which I get from mothercare they just hook round both knobs and tighten. I use them on my TV cabinet, my PC desk, my kitchen cupboards, my bathroom cupboards and even on my DD's wardrobe (so she doesn't empty her clothes all over the room in the morning). They seem to fit and do the job for everything I've needed them for and no drilling required.

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Cabinet-slide-locks-2pk/dp/B001C0PLH4/sr=1-5/qid=1271231627/ref=sr_1_5/278-5973843-5631512?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42872041&mcb=core

Although in this pic they are over "handles" they work just as well on knobs.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jelly Baby
14-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Hi thanks

Yes it has one handle on so not sure those ones from mothercare would work as not another handle to attach it to but thanks anyway.

They tried with the drawers too but they only have paper in and one with the odd cd so they pulled that out! like anything new they will play but i know once on my own with them and they are buisy things will be fine its just the parents worrying! Hard though on the first visit to say anything i always think.

Think one side ill put my chair across as here anyway and the other a table with some toys on! Ill try the string too though aswell!
Thanks x

Mrs.L.C
14-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Iv got a little one who always pulls at the computer desk which is also covered in paper work and bills and he always pulls on the filing cabinet. i just move him away and distract him and he is getting better.

Also had a family come round the other week and little one kept going to the desk. I just said we cant play with that lets play with this instead. Parents were fine with this and liked the idea that there are things their child wont be alowed to touch/will be taught not to touch. They said they are having the same problem at home where their lo is touching everything as thats whats she is allowed to do at nursery.

So I wouldnt do anything to the desk and just explain that their child will be taught not to touch certain things just like they are taught not to go in certain rooms such as upstairs or taught to hold hands when crossing the road.

Jelly Baby
14-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks topchick dav!

I told the parents not to worry as nay breakages would of course be my concern as such! there is nothing to hand that will bother me if it gets broken so?!

I said one of the reasons the tv was up on the wall was due to an old mindee being obsessed with it and now its not even a thought! (dont have him anymore but still)..they said a friend of theirs had come into work and told them their toddler had climbed on a chair and was swinging off theirs with legs dangling! I did say i wouldnt be that far away for them to be able to do such a thing!!

Fabby
14-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Iv got a little one who always pulls at the computer desk which is also covered in paper work and bills and he always pulls on the filing cabinet. i just move him away and distract him and he is getting better.

Also had a family come round the other week and little one kept going to the desk. I just said we cant play with that lets play with this instead. Parents were fine with this and liked the idea that there are things their child wont be alowed to touch/will be taught not to touch. They said they are having the same problem at home where their lo is touching everything as thats whats she is allowed to do at nursery.

So I wouldnt do anything to the desk and just explain that their child will be taught not to touch certain things just like they are taught not to go in certain rooms such as upstairs or taught to hold hands when crossing the road.

This is what i would do

peanuts
14-04-2010, 10:21 AM
it your house, your rules, they will just have to learn not to touch.

angeldelight
14-04-2010, 10:24 AM
it your house, your rules, they will just have to learn not to touch.

I agree and its up to the parents to support you by explaining this to the children also

Dont stress about it and enjoy your settling in down with them hope it goes well

Angel xxx

angel9199
14-04-2010, 07:43 PM
I got these for my cupboard doors and they are really good

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Magnet-drawer-cupboard-lock/dp/B001B8XGII/sr=1-11/qid=1271274192/ref=sr_1_11/276-7534133-1096269?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42872041&mcb=core

Daisy1956
14-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I would put something in front of it. Stick to your house rules not everything is a toy.