PDA

View Full Version : Newsletters and names - allowed?

AliceK
13-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi
Just a quickie. I have just typed up my first newsletter and was just wondering if we are allowed to put mindees names in there? I have but suddenly thought that it might not be allowed??

xxxxxxx

sarah707
13-04-2010, 09:04 PM
It depends on what you have discussed with parents regarding confidentiality.

If you state in your documentation - welcome pack / policies etc - that you will share children's first names in newsletters, on the birthday board, on a welcome poster etc then you can use them so long as parents haven't objected!

If you want to include photos, again you need permission.

Hth :D

AliceK
13-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Brilliant, thank you Sarah :thumbsup:

xxxxxx

monkey62
13-04-2010, 10:59 PM
It depends on what you have discussed with parents regarding confidentiality.

If you state in your documentation - welcome pack / policies etc - that you will share children's first names in newsletters, on the birthday board, on a welcome poster etc then you can use them so long as parents haven't objected!

If you want to include photos, again you need permission.

Hth :D

I didn't know and I never taught I have to mention in a policies about birthday board/welcome poster....Thank you for let us know.

nikim
14-04-2010, 08:12 AM
i honestly dont think it would be a problem as long as you only use first names, i am assuming the parents would know the names of the other children in the setting or am i missing the point ?

Jelly Baby
14-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Just saw this and panicked as done my April one and just sent out to new parents due to start so they can see what it's like. (they loved it btw!)

I always put what we have done etc but this time in my 'news' bit i put that i was sorry to let parents know xxxx had left.

I then put i was looking forward to xxx and xxx starting with me.

Am i missing the point also that parents know who all my mindees are anyway?

AliceK
14-04-2010, 08:30 AM
i honestly dont think it would be a problem as long as you only use first names, i am assuming the parents would know the names of the other children in the setting or am i missing the point ?

Thats what I thought

xxxxxxxxx

sarah707
14-04-2010, 09:56 AM
You need to consider various scenarios...

You cannot state the name of another child who has nits for confidentiality reasons;

You cannot state the name of a child who hit another child again for confidentiality;

You cannot use one child's name in another child's learning journey booklet or daily diary - we have a member on here who was pulled up on her inspection for using her OWN child's name in a daily diary. The inspector said this was 'just in case' she forgot and used a minded child's name in the future!!

Yes I know the children know each other and blurt out who was sick or who has just hit them... that is not the point here!

It's about you being seen to treat children's details sensitively and confidentially.

It's so easy to pop a bit of information in your confidentiality policy to say when you will share first names unless parents prefer it otherwise.

Does that make more sense? :D

AliceK
14-04-2010, 11:00 AM
You need to consider various scenarios...

You cannot state the name of another child who has nits for confidentiality reasons;

You cannot state the name of a child who hit another child again for confidentiality;

You cannot use one child's name in another child's learning journey booklet or daily diary - we have a member on here who was pulled up on her inspection for using her OWN child's name in a daily diary. The inspector said this was 'just in case' she forgot and used a minded child's name in the future!!

Yes I know the children know each other and blurt out who was sick or who has just hit them... that is not the point here!

It's about you being seen to treat children's details sensitively and confidentially.

It's so easy to pop a bit of information in your confidentiality policy to say when you will share first names unless parents prefer it otherwise.

Does that make more sense? :D

Thanks Sarah that makes perfect sense from you as usual :) .
It's so confusing isn't it (well it is to me anyway :blush: ). I would never tell another parent about anything confidential about another mindee such as nits etc. I also do not put another childs name in a childs diary, leaning journal although I do use an initial. But we ARE allowed (unless parents say otherwise) to use other childrens names in things like newsletters.
Oh the red tape / silly rules in this job :angry:

xxxxxxxx

Chimps Childminding
14-04-2010, 01:56 PM
OMG, I do use other childrens names in my learning journals/obs as well as photos :eek: . Its never occured to my not to as all my parents know the other children who attend my setting! Mrs O looked through the journals when I had my inspection last year and never commented on it !!!!

Blue Boy
14-04-2010, 05:04 PM
We put children's names in our newsletter, have just had our inspection and the inspectors commented on how impressed they were with our newsletters.

Cammie Doodle
14-04-2010, 05:36 PM
OMG, I do use other childrens names in my learning journals/obs as well as photos :eek: . Its never occured to my not to as all my parents know the other children who attend my setting! Mrs O looked through the journals when I had my inspection last year and never commented on it !!!!

Don't panic Carolyn we have Parents written consent to include their child in another child's learning Journal. :thumbsup:
June :D

sarah707
14-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Don't panic Carolyn we have Parents written consent to include their child in another child's learning Journal. :thumbsup:
June :D

Well I'm glad that one is sorted! :laughing: :D