PDA

View Full Version : Support Group

terrydoo73
13-04-2010, 08:31 PM
We currently have 8 members in our local Childminding Group and have tried different things to encourage more - one argument we heard whispered to us was that we were too much of a "click" and no-one else could be included!

Our childminding group NICMA sent out an assessment questionnaire before Easter to be returned to them to see what the interest was in having such a group etc etc.

Guess what - only 3 were returned!

I am chairperson of this group and would dearly love to know what the real problems are - if it people who cannot be bothered with the Group, have no time or would like to but don't know how to get involved. Apart from ringing each person up (there are 60 on the list locally) is there another way of trying to find out what people think generally? Anyone got any suggestions?

We have raised over £3000 and have held weekly Drop-Ins as well as various outings through the year, have been in existence for the past 3 years and have posted out numerous newsletters etc to ensure no-one is excluded.

jaja
14-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Why dont the 8 members take two or three minders phone numbers and ring them up, geting chatting and then invite them along? then leave it a while and see who attends and then try another so many minders a few months later and so on, by making direct contact with another minder might perswade tehn to come along and not be shy, or it will give u an insight to why they dont attend...

i didnt attend any as i always felt shy and didnt really like meeting other woman ( who i have to say can be very bitchy at times, especailly if they see you as competition, even if the other minders dont the new one to the group will feel this way) i found that i didnt like walking into a room full of woman without having a familar face or person to meet within the group... Rachel made me feel very welcome to her group but unfortuanatly my minded lo hasnt been here on the day since so i havent been back, that is also a point, do all the minders have children on the day you do it? as if i wasnt working then i wouldnt attend a group as i have other stuff to do, also can the minders all get to you? is the place near everyone? can people manage to get to you?

i would personally divide the list and phone the minders and make conversation and a relationship with them so they feel more welcome to come...

hope this helps xx

mama2three
14-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Do you have dw/do s in your area?
get them on board , most of the minders will have probably met theirs . Ours comes to our group. the group in the next town was often empty! but she went one week and had sent flyers out telling minders this. there were lots of new faces , and once they had been once it wasnt so difficult to go back. The same could apply to support minders , they could arrange to meet their new mionders at the group.
sorry , not sure ive made sense there , but hope your group builds up soon!