PDA

View Full Version : School hols = "I'm BORED"!!!

Helen Dempster
12-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Arrrrrggghhh, if I hear the 'b' word one more time, I'll screeeeeeeeeam!

Anyone got any suggestions with what I can do with an 11 yo girl please, before I pull my hair out, after it's turned grey?

Many thanks.

patevans
12-04-2010, 04:51 PM
even I was bored today :laughing:

Not because there was nothing to do I was just in a funny kinda mood :blush:

miss mopple
12-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Mine 10 yr old loves

clay modelling
bendaroos
hama beads
designing clothes from scraps of fabric for her dolls
playing club penguin
roller booting
obstacle courses
paper mache
cooking

oh, and bossing the others around :laughing:

Bananabrain
12-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I've got a nearly 12yr old boy{mine** and a nearly 11 yr old boy mindee.
I've decided this holiday that I'm not going to give them so much to do all the time. It's as if they are always waiting to be entertained and we've got a house full to the brim with toys that just don't get played with. I sometimes think children just don't know how to 'play' these days.
I've tried everything to get the 11yr old mindee interested in hobbies,cooking,nature,building dens,you name it.
All he wants is Ps3 so I've just given up now and tend just to concentrate on the LO's.
School hols, don't you just luv' 'em?

sillysausage
12-04-2010, 05:26 PM
For a while now I've told my older mindees (the over 8's) that they have to tell me what they want to do, I'm no longer going to do their thinking for them, particularly as they just don't appreciate it. I got fed up of organising activities for them, only to be told 'don't wanna do that' and the inevitable 'I'm bored' and when I asked them what did they want to do?....getting the answer 'dunno'. I also limit time that they can play on the wii or computer so that they don't remain glued to them all day.
Now I plan a basic timetable, with mornings and afternoons on it. Activities and outings are planned for the younger ones (except on the odd day when I just have older children) and the older ones basically have to muck in. Surprisingly it seems to have helped. They see the younger ones doing something and ask if they can do it too...adapting things to their own level. They are even making a much better effort to play with the little ones, rather than moan and groan that X is getting in the way etc.

Mollymop
12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
:thumbsup: OMG gal! An 11 year old girl??? Are you sure you are not minding the same girl I had in October half term?! :laughing:

She was dreadful to look after - bored all the while - it was like an attention seeking thing. No matter what we did. even if sat watching a dvd she REALLY wanted to watch she would be bored within 30 mins of it starting. She would sit all sullen and complain all the time

In the end I told her that I have given her options of things she can do (pretty much anything at this stage I was so desperate to please this young girl! ha) and if she didn't want to do them then it is her own fault she is BORED! I also said I didn't want to hear it anymore.

Ask her mum if she can bring somethings from home to do, like a ds/books she likes, etc. Get her to help you do odd bits around the house, I noticed that she liked doing these types of things more than most other things.

I bet if she was at home all she would be doing is watching tv/being bored there. So try and not let it stress you out, though I know how difficult it is.

She has left now and I would really be in 2minds about whether to take on another child of that age ever again:eek:

Rubybubbles
12-04-2010, 09:25 PM
:D Ah this is why I am only taking under 8's from now on lol!

I tended to do things as SillySausage did, but sometimes it wasn't enough:rolleyes:

My own ds is 8, and I haven't seen him all Easter lol, he has been out playing, which before when I had older mindies I couldn't do as how could I let him out but not the 12 yr old? If I am minding them, they are not allowed:)

Ahh, not long now hun!

I am off to the farm tomorrow which ds is sulking about:rolleyes: but he will have a great time there I am sure

mushpea
13-04-2010, 07:22 AM
have to say i dont necaseryily think its the age, i mind a 7yrold girl who will play with stuff for a few minutes but as soon as i sit down she sits right next to me , almost on top of me, and dosent move or want to go and play, shes like my shadow, she never says shes bored but everything i suggest she does she dosent want to. this hols i have had just an 11yrold, 9yrold and 6yrold and they have played lovley and although i have provided stuff and took them out they have gerneraly played well together and i have had the most relaxing hols ever, on reflection i think i tried far to hard to entertain her and put on far to many activities thinking this would keep her happy, when they come back to me after the hols she will just have to entertain herself with the stuff i have out for the others and like it or lump it. my mates say i should just tell her to go and play but i dont have the heart to kick her off the sofa if she wants to sit with me