PDA

View Full Version : anyone had a child with impetigo?

Alibali
20-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi, one of my mindees arrived today with spots that I didn't recognise, anyway I sent them away (Mum not impressed) and they went to GP. He thinks it is impetigo and has given oral and topical antibiotics. Anyway I have spent all day cleaning, disinfecting and anti-bacterialising everything that doesn't move (and some that do), car seats are stripped and washed as are buggys and all bedding etc. Gosh I am so tired now. DH has just bought us a chinese. Anyway does anyone know if he would have been infectious before spots came out and how long I should exclude him.

Alison :panic:

manjay
20-03-2008, 07:07 PM
HPA say exclude until lesions are crusted over or healed.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/infections/topics_az/schools/schools_guidelines_2006.pdf

amanda xx

Trouble
20-03-2008, 07:10 PM
i agree i have my disease chart in front of me

sarah707
20-03-2008, 07:16 PM
You've done the right thing with the cleaning - anything material is especially bad.

It is very very catching so you need to warn other parents that it is in the setting and that if they see any lesions or scabs or anything that doesn't look right, they need to get to doc asap and exclude as long as you can get away with, then make sure it is covered.

It's nasty, especially if you get it yourself on your face or somewhere visible, it looks awful, so wear gloves as well when handling contaminated clothing or furnishings...

There's a big outbreak at a nursery where I collect from and they've got pictures up... not for those eating tea :eek:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=impetigo&gbv=2

You did well spotting it quickly... it can go round like wildfire if left untreated or misdiagnosed :(

miss muffit
20-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi Alison well done to you for having the strength to send the child away :clapping: put impetigo into google that might answer your question. K:)

Alibali
20-03-2008, 07:21 PM
You've done the right thing with the cleaning - anything material is especially bad.

It is very very catching so you need to warn other parents that it is in the setting and that if they see any lesions or scabs or anything that doesn't look right, they need to get to doc asap and exclude as long as you can get away with, then make sure it is covered.

It's nasty, especially if you get it yourself on your face or somewhere visible, it looks awful, so wear gloves as well when handling contaminated clothing or furnishings...

There's a big outbreak at a nursery where I collect from and they've got pictures up... not for those eating tea :eek:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=impetigo&gbv=2

You did well spotting it quickly... it can go round like wildfire if left untreated or misdiagnosed :(

Thanks for that. It looks awful, hope none of the others get it, or worse ME!!
Alison:)

angeldelight
20-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Well done for spotting it Alison

Hope you and your family do not get it

Angel xx

Trouble
20-03-2008, 07:28 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i wont be eating anymore chocs tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

crazybones
20-03-2008, 07:56 PM
My son had impetigo once. OMG the cleaning. Keeping him isolated from the rest of the family, anti-bac the bathroom all the time in between handwashing, bathing and the loo. Threw all towels out and replaced them. The same with his bedding. Washed his clothes seperately. The dr was very impressed no-one else got it in the family.

fionamal
20-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Poor wee soul. Looks very sore on some google pictures.

Hope you and your family dont get it.