PDA

View Full Version : picnics??

mushpea
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
is that time of year again
have been on a couple of pinics but always seem to take the same stuff
sandwich, crisps , cake
not very healthy and gets boring!
what do you all take on picnics and how do you transport stuff like fruit especialy apple slices?

haribo
11-04-2010, 11:25 AM
i love picnics :clapping: i take things like sausage rolls ,potato cakes, wraps , raisins or grapes . bananas are good for transporting without spoiling .. breadsticks . yoghurts ( i take disposable spoons) quiche .. most things i do for cold lunches can be taken on a picnic. i often make up a picnic in nice weather then even if its just the local park we are ready for the off and can be out all day :jump for joy:

mushpea
11-04-2010, 11:45 AM
sounds yummy, now if i was doing a picnic for just me and my kids i would take things like you said plus pork pies, them tiny scotch egg thingys with chopped egg in and stuff like that but the mindee i have this week dosent eat anything like that so i get really stuck for him, theres mine piggin out on the ususal stuff but he will only eat sandwich, crisps or grapes and a cake

sandy64
11-04-2010, 12:50 PM
mini sausages, pizza, salad, flapjack melon pieces.

AnnieM
11-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I do things like couscous with loads of seasonings and chopped up salady stuff in it, savoury rice dishes, or pasta salads, they are nice cold and suitable for lo's.

Just getting some ready for tomorrow, we are off to Cannon Hall Farm. :clapping:

TheBTeam
11-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Tuna in pitta bread is nice, chicken in wraps. Pasta salad, crackers and cheese make a change to sandwiches.

terrydoo73
11-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Lakeland do a wonderful flask with 3 layers in it which means you can take different types of hot food with you. I use mine to put cocktail sausages in the bottom then a pasta dish next and something like cous cous as well. I also would take my Lakeland apple corer which is great for cutting up and means little ones get an equal share! Sometimes children just want bits and pieces and think they have such an awful a lot!!

mushpea
12-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Some lovley suggestions thanks,, never thought of taking my apple corer with me, good idea thanks.

Rubybubbles
12-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Our picnic last week was

Mini pizzas (we made) pasta salad, triangle sandwiches (because they taste better lol) I don't like sauage rolls ect, but the kids enjoy the mini ones and the cocktail sausages! Fruit, bananas, apples (the ones in bag handy for picnics) carrot sticks. Older kids like squeesy yogurts!

TBH though I think it all about the planning lol! Lots of tupperware pots are very useful, off to look at Lankland now lol:rolleyes:

mushpea
12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
ok,, i am feeling inspired now, i think the problem is because i look after a fussy child i tend to fit the picnics around him , from now on they can pack their own little pack lunch box and decide themselves what they want then they can have as much or as little as they want.
like the idea of mini pizzas, we have make your own pizza for tea somtimes so can do them for lunch too