PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Infringement

Fifi
20-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Copyright infringement

I would like your views on this please.
If you know someone who is using other people’s resources for profit, would you report them?

There are lots of free resources, free cliparts on the web that are given for personal use only. The owners specifically advise not to be used for commercial purpose but yet some greedy people totally disregard the owner’s copyrights and making money out of this,

If someone is selling your stuff, would you like to know?

Minnie Minx
20-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi fifi, we've had some of our member's resources sold on ebay before now so the answer would be yes. It's totally unfair to use someone else's hard work for monetary gain

xx

chubbymummy
20-03-2008, 01:48 PM
i would like to know

after putting hard work into something and letting others use it for free, only to find out that someone was then making money on this work would make me mad.

so yes my view is that i would like to know

Banana
20-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Yes of course... and on the forum we would make a point of notifying anyone if their work was being sold for profit or being resold!
x

Kelly
20-03-2008, 01:53 PM
There are quite a few resources on Ebay that are free to download on the net, I'm thinking of the stuff on www.sparklebox.co.uk it is appaling that someone is trying to pass this stuff off as their own.

I think people have a right to know.

Kelly

Hopscotch
20-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I have had quite a few people selling my resources so yes i do report it to ebay if i know they are selling my work there was one instance when someone was selling some forms from the resource area of this website when they clearly said at the bottom copyright childminding forum.
I have no problems with anyone that creates their own work and sells it but when they are selling someone elses and claiming that its their own work then that is not on.
Bev X

Fifi
20-03-2008, 02:21 PM
What if while creating these work you are using images / cliparts that do not belong to you?
The owners of these cliparts have given permission to use them but not for profit. Isn’t this a violation of someone’s hard work ?

Since you have expressed you views on this Bev, may I ask you whether you have the owners permission to use their images/cliparts on the resources that you are selling?

Heaven Scent
20-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Yes I'd report them. As part of my job as a lecturer I used to have to check for plagerism in students work as they could be disqualified for cutting and pasting. It was a real ball ache because I used to have to sit in front of the computer typing in sections of work which I thought were above the students capabilities (most of it was) and then quote the site I found it on in the margin of their work - Lazy little so and so's wanting qualifications without putting in the work. I used to spend hours teaching them how to use information from the net and how to quote and reference but to no avail. So yes report it you don't need to give your name.

Celine

Minnie Minx
20-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi fifi, most of the people who sell their resources probably use copyright free clip art.

Are you thinking of selling something that uses clipart?

xxx

angeldelight
20-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Are these questions going somewhere ?

Do you know someone that is doing this ?

Angel xx

Fifi
20-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi fifi, most of the people who sell their resources probably use copyright free clip art.

Are you thinking of selling something that uses clipart?

xxx

Yes Theresa,
I have been thinking of creating a few childminding resources that I can sell.
But I am a bit concerned about using free cliparts since most of them are not to be used for profit.
I see other people are already doing it. Just wondering if they had to get permission from all the owners before using them.

And once you have sorted all that and you are selling your resources, how do you stop people from selling them as their own.

xxx

aly
20-03-2008, 04:07 PM
TBH It's not worth the hassle!

I am a crafter and on my forum we have comps &etc and if anyone has entered anything that is a copyright infringement that it gets deleted...

I have know people use other people images such as 'Disney' and if 'they' found out they would be sued!

People do have a way of finding out. If I saw something on ebay that was a copyright infringement I wouldnt personally be able to contact ebay over it as it is not my item, but the owners have the right to it and then sue over it.

Like I said it is not worth the hassle unless you get permission. all it takes is an email/letter to ask.

Pauline
20-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes Theresa,
I have been thinking of creating a few childminding resources that I can sell.
But I am a bit concerned about using free cliparts since most of them are not to be used for profit.
I see other people are already doing it. Just wondering if they had to get permission from all the owners before using them.

And once you have sorted all that and you are selling your resources, how do you stop people from selling them as their own.

xxx

Some people might not realise the implications of copyright, once they see "free" they might not read the small print and the 'not to be used for profit' bit. Although that is no excuse, perhaps in the first instance it would be best to mention to that person did they know that these things are not to be used for profit, giving them the chance to remove them, before taking action and reporting them to the owner - if you can find the owner that is. If they then continued to use free graphics then yes, of course report them.

Once you are selling your resources it is very difficult to stop others selling them as their own. As someone has said, resources from my websites were found being sold and I had them in pdf format, with a vari-page url watermark through the entire back of them, a full copyright and website link, and still they turned up on eBay!! It was down to a kind buyer reporting it to me that I was able to get it stopped.

So, to re cap, probably the best thing you can do is get loads of copyright all over it, with contact details so that anyone buying will know how to get in touch with you plus, if possible, create them in pdf format so that they cannot easily be cut and re created.

Fifi
20-03-2008, 05:49 PM
You always have a wise solution / answer.

Thank you Pauline

xxx

ajs
20-03-2008, 07:05 PM
that's why she's known as oh great one

i reported someone on ebay the otherday to dtlk as selling stuff which is available free
dltk emailed to say thanks but as the top copy was only clipart they could sell it without dltk's permissioin but if they tried to sell anything of dltk's actual work then bam they would get them.