PDA

View Full Version : would you tell parent?

Delly
20-03-2008, 01:28 PM
mindee arrived today (7mths old) parents provide food.
all in bag was a half eaten jar of food, which was in bag on tuesday. I haven't used it and have thrown it away, surely it shouldn't be eaten.

I have given him a jar of food which I had in cupboard instead as when he's in my care i'm not giving him a jar which has been opened for god knows how long.

I know I've done the right thing but should i tell parents?

crazybones
20-03-2008, 01:30 PM
I would tell them. Just say you didnt think it smelt right and to be on safe side you gave something else. (Mind you baby food never smells right). See if they have an explanation it might have just been an oversight.

chubbymummy
20-03-2008, 01:30 PM
i would tell them, you've not done anything wrong so you don't need to worry.

you were looking after the childs best needs

any parent should be fine with this

Banana
20-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Yep I would mention it! Given the fact it was the same one as the other day.

Once a jar is opened it should be refridgerated and consumed within 24 hours. So I would have an issue with any half eaten products

xx

Minnie Minx
20-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Yep I would mention it! Given the fact it was the same one as the other day.

Once a jar is opened it should be refridgerated and consumed within 24 hours. So I would have an issue with any half eaten products

xx

I agree with lana :)

xxx

jackie__1981
20-03-2008, 01:55 PM
I thought jars of baby food were ok for 48 hours if refridgerated?

I supppose it is always better to be on the safe side!

Mollymop
20-03-2008, 01:56 PM
I agree with everyone else. I am really hot on looking after food - i throw everything out that is out of date even bread if it is only one day out.

allykidz
20-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I would also let the parents know :) When I used to use a minder I was always leaving jars of food in the bottom of the bag cos I never remembered to look!! :emb:

Heaven Scent
20-03-2008, 02:17 PM
whether its 24 hrs or 48 hrs if it hasn't been in your house you don't know if it has been refridgerated or not so you did the right thing but you do need to tell them - I have a huge nightmare that if I did something wrong with food and tried to hide it that i'd be found out if they did a culture test on the contents of the childs stomoch and I'd be put in prison. So I wouldn't pretend that I didn't do it I would just say you really cannot accept food in open jars because they cold have used up the jar from the other day and only had that variety to give the child the next day. - we have to give the benefit of the doubt just a tiny bit.

Celine

sarah707
20-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Parents will need to be told that you fed the child something different anyway, so while you are mentioning it, you could just drop in that you feel there should be a new jar every day ... please! :D

angeldelight
21-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Did you tell parents

Angel xx

aly
21-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I would definately say something too, you never know, adn you did the right thing

x

Michelle M
21-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I agree with everyone else, I am a bit funny about jars and I do give them to my own daughter sometimes, but never keep them I just throw any uneaten away, a waste I know but they go all sloppy :)

Let us know how it went with the parents

Michelle xx

miffy
21-03-2008, 06:03 PM
I would have done the same as you and I would have told the parents - they may just have forgotten the jar was in there :rolleyes:

Did you tell them?

Miffy xx

John
22-03-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't use anything that as been open when the child's bring anything to eat as you don't know what as happend to it. And i would aproch the parent/s

John.

deeb66
22-03-2008, 03:24 PM
No I definately wouldn't have given that food to the child.

I would also tell the parent that you had thrown it away and given something else.

Did you tell them?

Chell
22-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I would tell them, it was probably and oversight. If they did mean to do it then they should have at least told you so you could refrigerate it ASAP.

Delly
25-03-2008, 08:07 AM
hi, I did tell the dad when he collected h up, he was totally shocked and said he didn't know there was a half eaten jar in bottom of bag, apologised to me and said thanks for feeding him (like I wouldn't have :rolleyes: !)..

So glad I told him really, i'll get used to this, I knew I was doing the right thing but sometimes I think you doubt your sanity when your at home alone, luckily I have you guys :)

ajs
25-03-2008, 08:14 AM
well done for saying something
if they are feeding them jars why don't they give you some for the week then you know how they are stored and kept once opened.
it's always such a worry doing the right thing isn't it
:clapping:

Banana
25-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I agree with everyone else. I am really hot on looking after food - i throw everything out that is out of date even bread if it is only one day out.

I used to be terrible for chucking out bread too! But try taking it out on a walk with you for the birds!! or better still - providing there is no mould - make a bread and butter pudding :D YUMMY!!!!!

Well done for saying something Delly!! Glad its sorted!
xx

Chell
25-03-2008, 09:40 PM
I used to be terrible for chucking out bread too! But try taking it out on a walk with you for the birds!! or better still - providing there is no mould - make a bread and butter pudding :D YUMMY!!!!!

Well done for saying something Delly!! Glad its sorted!
xx

I have a bag in the bottom of the freezer that I put crusts and stale bread in. Then when we got out we have plenty of bread for the ducks.