PDA

View Full Version : DECISION TIME!

celdemorg
08-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I've only been doing childminding for 12 months, and my god it's hard work, I knew it would be and wouldn't be a doddle, but I feel as though it's really taking it's toll on me now:crying:

I just want to spend time with my 3 children and I thought that childminding would be the answer, but I feel as though all my time is with the mindees and not my own little dears.

I wish I could afford to just be a stay at home mum but I can't so I was thinking of maybe reducing down to working 4 days, so I'd have a whole day with my children. Does anyone else work a 4 day week, or are you all amazing people and work the full week, maybe it's just me and I'm a light weight :laughing:

I don't want to lose my full time mindee though, with changing days, so I'm just not sure what decision to make.

xxx

mamasheshe
08-04-2010, 01:11 PM
i don't but a local cm does she doesn't work Friday day and just does the school run. i think she warned parents then gave the four week notice for Fridays i think she managed to swap everyone but one who comes to me now:thumbsup:

Helen Dempster
08-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I work a 4 day week, but not through choice (mindees mum doesn't work Tuesdays, so has him at home with her). I love it - I can get all my loose ends tied up and spend quality time with my own son as a bonus. I get paid for a 5 day week still, so I'm not losing anything. I will probably be really fed up when I get another full timer who's Mon-Fri though!

At the end of the day, do what you feel is right for you and your family - I always put my 'gang' first before any of the minded kids.

Good luck hun

The Juggler
08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
I have Thursdays off (well between 0900 and 1500 but I just have one after schooler)

I didn't have that until both mine were in full time school so never had any time with them at home alone when they were little. However, it gave me a day with them in the holidays I liked it so much that when filling vacancies I tried to fill as many as I could with term-time only and now have 2 or 3 days in every holiday not working as well.

At the moment I use those days for study as well as time with my kids but am looking forward to it being just for them when I finish studying at the end of the month.

caz3007
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I have Weds off at the moment, only collect from school. Its great cos I get some time to get things done or do my own thing.

I am soon starting with another LO, dont know days yet as mum is waiting for her CRB, but I can fit him in whenever. I am losing one at the end of June, so may not get a day off for a couple of months, then will settle again when he leaves.

You do what works for you and your family

miffy
08-04-2010, 02:48 PM
I only work a 3 day week now, that's what suits me.

In the past I have shared full time mindees with another childminder which has worked well (we've covered one another's holidays and sickness) - is there anyone you could do that with so you don't lose your mindee?

Miffy xx

estrelas
08-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm going to look at this as well even just finishing early on a fri would be good

I currently work all hours, lates, earlys weekends, I'm about to drop weekends and maybe fri after school x

loocyloo
08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
when i started minding i was working 8-6 (and more!) x 5 days a week, all year round. then as families changed i managed to cut the holidays down to 3 days a week !

then a couple of months ago as i was re-negotiating a contract for a LO and sibling to return, i would only have had 1 LO school hours on a friday, so i asked if he could swap days, and mum agreed :clapping: , then i was telling the mum of the afterschoolie i have on a friday, and she said they would be happy to sort out fridays themselves ( as it would save them some money ).

so .... when we go back to school after easter i have fridays off !!! my own children are at school, but i am going to use some of my friday to help in school! my children have always wanted me to help, but i have never been able to, and now i can!

Toothfairy
08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I work 4 days P/W term time & 3 days P/W in the holidays.
This gives me time to spend with my children and catch up on housework etc.

celdemorg
08-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Hubby says go for it, but I'm just a bit worried I'll lose my full time mindee (4 days), one of my part time mindees mum today said she may want to increase hours from 2 hrs a day to a full day tues, wed and thurs so may just wait and see if this happens then go for it.

Sounds sad but i just want to get time to do my housework, as well have quality time with my :littleangel: 's. The play room is always spotless but the rest of the house my god, things are hidden in places i didn't know i had!!!:eek: i went from working 25 hours in my old job to a 50hr week.

Another downfall is which is making me feel guilty about doing it is, I have 2 of my nieces, one on a monday the other a friday, so don't really want to let family down :panic: but i've got to think of my sanity at the end of the day I suppose!!

I also think i was a bit daft when i started with my first mindee, looking at some of yr comments. I have a little one who's mum works shifts (4 days a week, different days each week) I only charge her for the 4 days and not the 5 which I notice some of you do :angry: had for 12 months now, so don't feel as though i could change this, how silly am i!!!!!:censored:

xxx

ps: i love this forum, your all so friendly :thumbsup:

Twinkles
08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
When my own children were little I only worked 3 days a week , I also only worked term time.
If you can afford to cut back on your hours I would say go for it.
You don't want to wake up one day with grown up children and wish you had more time for them.

( not saying that everyone with young children should only work part time , we all know what suits us best )

angiemog
08-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I have decided not to take any more mindees on a Friday as I too want to work a four day week. At present I have 2 under 5s and 1 after school. I know one is leaving in the summer and the other lo is only til 1.30pm. My after schooler is my nephew so am happy to keep him. x

Gizmo
08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
I dont work on a Monday, but I think if a call came I would start working it, I have my dd here and she gets really bored when the mindees arent here, she doesnt want to spend her day playing with her old mum. Saying that she starts nursery in August and the thought of a few hours to myself sounds like bliss :cool:

watgem
09-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I have been working part-time for the last 18 months, not through choice, and at first I didn't enjoy it and so filled my spare time with a foundation degree. I am now so glad to be working part time because there's no way I could fit everything in if I worked full time, and I take my hats off to those that do:littleangel: Parents and other people are often quite shocked when I explain exactly what childminders do, and just how much of our family time is taken up, so definitely go with what works best for you and your family:)

Hebs
09-04-2010, 03:19 PM
nope sorry cos i have mindees 6 days a week and do paperwork on sundays :panic: