PDA

View Full Version : QUICK! help! please!

Tinglesnark
08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
parents informed me this morning that not only did the want to change start times for 2 weeks starting next week but that they want to swap the days. (contracted tues to thurs 9.30 til 5.30)
i said i would be flexible with the days but on the understanding that i would know at least 4 weeks in advance although i forgot to add this to the contract doh!

anyway - i have written this letter

Dear Parent/Guardian,

This letter is confirmation regarding your proposed change in hours and days. As per your verbal request, the extra days and times can be accommodated but are chargeable as they are not included in our contract. Unfortunately I cannot provide you with a day swapping service due to my adult to child ratio and other children that are about to enter my care on the days that you are not contracted.
If you still require the extra childcare, please advise me so that I can prepare an additional invoice.

Yours faithfully,

Kristen Lang

do you think i am right giving them this when i have said that i can be flexible re the days as they said they would need to change one or 2 days due to their work - they then said they wouldnt need to do this? flexible is one thing but i think they are after taking the micky

sarah707
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Hmmm you've got to be a bit careful because you did say you would be flexible...

Can you afford to lose the contract if parents refuse to pay and push you into a corner? :huh:

It's a tough one

miffy
08-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Watch you don't shoot yourself in the foot here - parents may not think there is a problem as you said you would be flexible.

At the very least I would talk to them instead of sending them a letter - could you agree to swap this time as a goodwill gesture and then get the agreement in writing for future so everyone's clear.

Good luck

Miffy xx

The Juggler
08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I would talk to them too. I would say you're prepared to offer flexi days for the time being at no extra cost but if someone else appraoches you and wants those days they will have first refusal to pay a retainer/full for those days or to release the days to the other parents.

I see what you mean though, if you give it to them for nothing you're effectively losing 2 days pay as you can't fill those places.

Tinglesnark
08-04-2010, 12:34 PM
ah i had to dash and missed your replies - i agree. my sil (also a cm) made me panic by telling me "what i had to do"
i then thought about it and wrote this instead

Dear Parent/Guardian,

This letter is confirmation regarding your proposed temporary change in hours and days. The extra days can be swapped at no extra charge as I have no other children to care for at present and the extra times can be accommodated but are chargeable as they are not included in our contract.

If you still require the extra childcare, please advise me so that I can add the extra hours on to your next invoice.

Yours faithfully,

what do you think? i dont think its fair of me to change my mind and no, i dont want to lose this contract :thumbsup: i just panicked - its hard when others tell you you are wrong and you dont quite have the courage of your convictions isnt it?

thanks for confirming my gut instinct guys!
:thumbsup:

The Juggler
08-04-2010, 01:51 PM
I might have misunderstood slightly hon, but are you saying they can swap/have alternative days at no charge but extra hours over and above contract will be charged.

If so then it's fine. I would add something in though saying that if parents approach you to work those other days then you would need to consider taking those days or alternatively offer them the opportunity to pay to hold the days.