PDA

View Full Version : Parents Housing Benefit Claim - help!!

Claireabelle
08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
A parent I childmind for has had trouble with her housing benefit and has not declared her childminding costs. She is now looking to backdate her claim. What she has actually paid me is not that much but she needs more on her claim. She said it doesnt matter what I put.... I feel a little uncomfortable as my returns are 100% accurate - not sure what to do!

sarah707
08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Welcome to the forum!

You must be honest or the Inland Revenue could trace it back to you.

I hope you are enjoying the forum :D

Mouse
08-04-2010, 11:25 AM
A parent I childmind for has had trouble with her housing benefit and has not declared her childminding costs. She is now looking to backdate her claim. What she has actually paid me is not that much but she needs more on her claim. She said it doesnt matter what I put.... I feel a little uncomfortable as my returns are 100% accurate - not sure what to do!

Tell the parent that you are legally obliged to declare the correct amount on the forms as it could effect your tax return. Is she also claiming tax credits to pay the childcare costs? I would point out to her that if/when they ask for confirmation of how much she is paying you, you will have to tell them the exact amount. I might be too suspicious, but if she is overclaiming on housing benefit, she might also be overclaiming on tax credits.

aly
08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
you only put the correct amount, do not let her force oyu to do it.

as sarah says with linand revenue, they will also chase you for amounts YOU have put on her claim...it is just not worth it.

Claireabelle
08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
thanks - felt unfomfortable but wasnt sure if I was bein too anal about the whole thing!

miffy
08-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Don't do it! You would be aiding and abetting a fraud.

Tell her that you can only put the amount she has paid on the form otherwise HMRC may pursue you for more tax.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Don't do it! You would be aiding and abetting a fraud.

Tell her that you can only put the amount she has paid on the form otherwise HMRC may pursue you for more tax.

Miffy xx

just what I was going to say never mind that tax office might chase you for more money you cwoudl be an accomplice in benefit fraud.

Tired
08-04-2010, 12:54 PM
as everyone else says, don't do it. If they want to break the law, that is their problem, but don't get yourself tied up in it .

Its hard, but be strong.

sandy64
08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
hi i had a parent who claimed i was minding all 3 of her kids when she only had 1 she needed c.c i only found out when benefits fraud rang me i was shocked but Innocent so please don't help her as you could get in trouble as they do check up eventually.