PDA

View Full Version : lost shoe!

charliegee
08-04-2010, 07:06 AM
hello all

hope you are all well - nearly the weekend now

just a quick one and wondering what your thoughts are really - if I am out with a mindee (toddler) and they lose a shoe out of the buggy - do I have to buy the mindee a new shoe (well...pair of shoes!)

talking clarkes shoes - about £35!!! :eek:

x

ORKSIE
08-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Good Morning

One of my mindees (8 months) wears expensive shoes. he kicks em off as we go along in the buggy.......so I dont put them on him, they stay safe in his bag:thumbsup:

They are not proper shoes but cost 25 quid:eek:

I told mum I wont put them on him for fear of losing one, she said thats fine:)

LisaMcNally09
08-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Yesterday I took 2 mindees and dd to soft play.

Mindee who is 3 took his socks off somewhere in the play centre. I didnt notice until one of the staff pointed out he couldnt go in without socks:blush:

I picked him up and we all went on a sock hunt:laughing:

Anyway we couldnt find them so had to leave earlier than I would have wanted.

When mum picked up she asked me if I would be replacing his socks:angry:

The look I gave her was something like this:eek:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
08-04-2010, 07:14 AM
When mum picked up she asked me if I would be replacing his socks:angry:

The look I gave her was something like this:eek:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That made me LOL:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Karaza
08-04-2010, 07:15 AM
depends on situation

I had this with a mindee but he used to kick my son quite viciously and the shoe must have come of at that point on the day he lost it as my son had huge black bruise whilst they were sat next to each other in pushchair.

I retraced steps three times but could not find it. I refused to buy another pair of shoes because of the circumstances and also because the parents had already told me they knew they were too small but had not got round to buying him another pair.

I would have a discussion with the parents and see if you can come up with a solution you are all happy with. Sometimes £35 is a small price to pay to protect your reputation as if they are unhappy and tell lot's of people why it may damage your business.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

singlewiththree
08-04-2010, 07:31 AM
I've replaced hats and mittens and would replace shoes too if they were lost in my care. I now take them off when they go in the buggy :)

Playmate
08-04-2010, 07:35 AM
I probably would, have replaced other items of clothing in the past.

margaret
08-04-2010, 07:37 AM
I dont replace anything if it gets lost whilst with me ,write in your policys that this is some thing that happens occassionally and you dont always have any control over it ,you dont have eyes in the back of youre head.

margaret
08-04-2010, 07:40 AM
should also have said ,if things get lost at nursery,school,playschool,gides brownies etc they dont replace it ,its just one of those things,life ,more epense.

AnnieM
08-04-2010, 08:24 AM
I have done the same, if they were expensive shoes, they don't wear them in the buggy. I did however have to replace a pair of Clarks shoes (£35) when my last puppy chewed one of them up. It was totally my fault and I should have put them out of her reach, but I thought she had grown out of it. :mad: Mum was really good about it and said if he had gone up a size then she would buy him a new pair, but if he was the same size asked me to contribute to a new pair, :eek: I insisted that I bought him the new pair as it was my dog that had ruined them, she got a pair for £15 in the clarks sale. :thumbsup: She was a great mum and I miss her and her children very much still. (they left me, after 7 years last year to move down south :( )

youarewhatyoueat
08-04-2010, 08:31 AM
you lost it, you should replace it.

louised
08-04-2010, 08:36 AM
No I wouldn't replace the shoes, as someone else said when things get lost at school the school doesn't replace them. My 2 children are both teenagers now and the amount of stuff that has gone missing at school over the years is unbelievable. One of my mindees lost a scarf on the school run and the fuss that was made by the parents was a joke but there was no way I was going to replace it, I just told them to get used to it as they would lose a lot more when he started school

Hebs
08-04-2010, 08:39 AM

i disagree, as i know from having my own that kids kick shoes off it's all part and parcle of having kids :thumbsup:

will add that to my policies :D

RedDragon
08-04-2010, 08:42 AM

LOL That reply made me lol :D

The schools don't replace things if they are lost - it has honestly never entered my head to think I would need to replace anything lost during the child's day.

Hebs
08-04-2010, 08:47 AM
The schools don't replace things if they are lost - it has honestly never entered my head to think I would need to replace anything lost during the child's day.

me either, and never have i ever expected any child care provider to replace items my kids have lost :panic:

must do new policy

Avon
08-04-2010, 09:22 AM
me either, and never have i ever expected any child care provider to replace items my kids have lost :panic:

must do new policy

Can you share it when you are done lol? I am new to writing this policy lark and would like to know the wording so I can adapt to suit.

The Juggler
08-04-2010, 09:50 AM
I think if I left it in a bag somewhere and lost my bag I would but not if the child kicked it off and NOT for school children who lose things on school run - they are big enough to look after their own stuff.

I've never lost anything major but I throw away pants that are pooey and I've never been asked to replace those:laughing:

Hebs
08-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I think if I left it in a bag somewhere and lost my bag I would but not if the child kicked it off and NOT for school children who lose things on school run - they are big enough to look after their own stuff.

I've never lost anything major but I throw away pants that are pooey and I've never been asked to replace those:laughing:

awww how kind of you to not give the pooey undies back to parents :laughing:

Mouse
08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
awww how kind of you to not give the pooey undies back to parents :laughing:

I do! I tie them in a couple of nappy sacks & hand them over. I tell parents it's up to them to decide what the want to do with them :laughing:

As for lost shoes, does NCMA insurance not cover loss of mindee's property? I'm sure it used to, though I've never claimed on it.

EDIT: NCMA insurance does cover you for loss or damage to mindee's property, but there is a £50 excess :(

The Juggler
08-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I do! I tie them in a couple of nappy sacks & hand them over. I tell parents it's up to them to decide what the want to do with them :laughing:

As for lost shoes, does NCMA insurance not cover loss of mindee's property? I'm sure it used to, though I've never claimed on it.

EDIT: NCMA insurance does cover you for loss or damage to mindee's property, but there is a £50 excess :(

cheaper to go to Clarks for new ones then! :laughing:

charliegee
08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
thanks everyone! going to buy LO a new pair as for £35 I'd rather keep good relations as it were.....although I am a proper softie!

never knew the NCMA insurance covered us for mindee posessions - useful if you say use a mindees buggy or carseat or something

as always this forum is a godsend!

xxx

ajs
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM

no she didn't the child did.

i wouldn't offer and can't imagine that any of my parents would ask me to pay to replace them either but if they were new and i knew that the family couldn't afford to replace them i may offer them some money towards them

tracey36
08-04-2010, 12:18 PM
i cannot beleive a mum asked you to replace socks!!!! thats one thing i am always on the hunt for one minute there on there feet the next off and lost lol

little chickee
08-04-2010, 02:20 PM
I too would not want to replace lost belongings - new policy for me too!!

Joannechildmind
08-04-2010, 02:35 PM
me either, i always take them off. We cant be responisible for childs shoes, when we have 3 or 4 children its hard enough keeping hold of them let alone there shoes and socks.:D

nokidshere
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
I would be amazed if any of my parents asked me to replace something but, if it came to it, I would rather than fall out with them.

And I wash and dry pooey clothing/pants before giving them back to the parent!!!!!

karen m
10-04-2010, 06:42 PM
NEVER HAD TO REPLACE ANYTHING YET,rinse pooy clothes and put in a nappy sack parents can then wash properly would worry my soap powder may irratate them