PDA

View Full Version : R.A.G Sef

Mrs Argyle
07-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Wonderful ! I have now received a SEF form from Essex County Council. 7 pages long, after completion we have to send it back to Essex CC and we are graded Red,Amber or Green. Has anyone else heard of this ?

Heaven Scent
07-04-2010, 01:36 PM
No - what a load of rubbish - it sounds a bit like a thing we do here in Cheshire called "Moving On" its reflective Document - well it a file actually and worse than a SEF - It's more like a quality assurance Document (FILE) where you gather evidence photographic or otherwise to back up your claims.

- In Cheshires defence (if there is any they ploughed a load of money into this before the Ofsted SEF was introduced and now is of no advantage to any of us as we get no recognition for completing it but all minders are expected to complete it - it is graded from level 1-5 but they only list criteria to be met at levels 1.3&5 and you are at level 2 if you achieve more than 1 but less than 4 and at level 4 if you achieve more than 3 but less than 5. Any minder who wants to go for accreditation must achieve level 4 in all areas. All councils (East, West & Chester) have decided to keep it going after the split last year as they spent so much money devising & providing training on it. Nurseries are supposed to be following it too and I'm sure I saw a copy of it on the table in the head teachers office at my daughters school. Our Council were encouraging minders to abandon NCMA Quality First in favour of this and yet we get nothing to show for all the work we put into it.

I get really fed up to the back teeth with all the extra paperwork that is being sneaked in via the back door. If its any consulation all minders across the country (& I think all early years provision) is being graded it just more of big brother trying to drive us all into the ground.

Sorry, I'm not much help am I???

loobyloo
09-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes I too have a ragging form to complete unlucky us who live in Essex!! think the S.E.F form is an alternative to the ofsted one Although I think its quite difficult and time consuming to fill in.I think its only the R>A>G assessment form we need to fill in.It seems not only do we have to impress Ofsted but also convince our local NCMA we are worthy of the grade Ofsted gave us.We now get assessed yearly Are they working together now.?I also think its an awlful name-RAG its what you throw at a bull!But then anything is thrown at childminders these days-More paperwork-where is the relaxation.
So far Ive asked several childminders for advice on filling in this R.A.G form and we can hardly ask NCMA or can we????????
If you get inspiration do let me know:(

tulip0803
09-04-2010, 08:59 PM
I used to live & mind in Essex & they were forever sending things through without explanation then offereing training 6-12 months after. I remember a lovely A4 thick file called Essex County Council's "Evaluating Effective Pedagogy in the Early Years" being lugged up the road by the postman poor thing. There was no covering letter or anything. about 6 months later the training courses to use the forms appeared:rolleyes: