PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a bit gutted

crazyhazy
07-04-2010, 09:44 AM
mmHave just had one parent round to sign contracts and she's reduced the nthours slightly from what we initially discussed, not the end of the world. Am not expecting this one to be long term anyway cos mum is at college and they are paying me until she finishes in june.

So, to cheer me up cos I was feeling a little deflated, I then called my afterschooler who was supposed to be starting the 19th to get them to come and sign contracts etc, and mum says "sorry we've decided not to use you, my mum is going to collect him instead".

I am absolutely gutted and feeling rather naive too for assuming it was all going to be ok. I don't know what to do, am receiving job seekers allowance at the moment and was hoping to stop with these two starting but now I'll prob be worse off working!

Only other vague hope is a parent who visited last week but hasn't called back yet and one I have coming later today but that's not starting till Nov so no good for now.

Fabby
07-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Try not to worry yourself, it will all work out in the end. It is bound to be tough at the start and this is expected. Have you got adverts everywhere? childcare.co.uk, on here, leaflets up in local shops, poster i car, netmums? Are you registered now or still pre-reg?

funfunfun
07-04-2010, 09:47 AM
mmHave just had one parent round to sign contracts and she's reduced the nthours slightly from what we initially discussed, not the end of the world. Am not expecting this one to be long term anyway cos mum is at college and they are paying me until she finishes in june.

So, to cheer me up cos I was feeling a little deflated, I then called my afterschooler who was supposed to be starting the 19th to get them to come and sign contracts etc, and mum says "sorry we've decided not to use you, my mum is going to collect him instead".

I am absolutely gutted and feeling rather naive too for assuming it was all going to be ok. I don't know what to do, am receiving job seekers allowance at the moment and was hoping to stop with these two starting but now I'll prob be worse off working!

Only other vague hope is a parent who visited last week but hasn't called back yet and one I have coming later today but that's not starting till Nov so no good for now.

TRY not to worry things will work out for you

!!!!!

The Juggler
07-04-2010, 09:50 AM
sorry to hear that. hope something else comes along for you. x

crazyhazy
07-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks, I'm sure something will come up but it's how we afford to live in the meantime that's worrying me. I have adverts all over our town, need to replace the ones outside my house which have been the most successful but got damaged. I also need to get my details on the childcare link website now I'm actually registered, will make that my task for today completing the forms.

LisaMcNally09
07-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Do you rent or own your home??

I work about 32 hours a week but because of my income after expenses i get a big chunk of my rent paid for with housing benefit and i still qualify for tax credits as i have children.

It is definately worth going to your advisor at job centre as alot of people dont realise what they can claim.

hth

georgie456
07-04-2010, 12:24 PM
That's a shame! Not nice finding out by chasng them either - it would have been nice for her to call you and let you know they had changed their mind.
I believe in things happening for a reason, so I'm sure they are just making way for a better opportunity that will come along soon :)

Lady Haha
07-04-2010, 01:25 PM
When I first started minding I was on income support for a good six months! And I had two mindees too! You are allowed to earn 20.00 on top of your benefit without losing any of it. Also, the job centre people disregard 2/3rds of your childminding income so if you earn 60.00, they will only count 20.00 of that and you keep all of your income support too. So in effect, you can earn 60.00 and keep income support too as they don't ask to see accounts and receipts etc.

crazyhazy
07-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks, that's useful info. At the moment the contract I signed with the mum this morning is for 20 hours pw, which works out at £70. But she only needs me on monday for 2 weeks until her placement finishes so after that it will only be 15 hours a week. Am going to go and speak to the job centre or call for advice, I know I can continue claiming if I work under 16hours but not sure how it'll work for the 2 weeks I'll be doing 20.

Jules27
07-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Oh hun that is both frustrating and annoying. Like what has already been said things happen for a reason. Some people are lucky and have plenty of mindee's from day 1. Others are not. I had 1 before and after schooler when I first started and was still in a p/t job, took a good 6 months to pick up more mindees. Are you in contact with other CM's? thats how i got my full timer as she was full. We still work closely together, she had an enquiry yesterday but can't help so passed my number on and am seeing them tomorrow. Keep up with the advertising. Brillminder - i think - on here sells bags which you can have your details on, I have one and its always commented on!!! I got a baseball cap off vista print last summer advertising that i'm a childminder. The right enquirie will turn up soon, just keep trying and try not to get too defated. xxxxx

Blue Boy
07-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Don't let it get you down:( things will get better for you.