PDA

View Full Version : Advice please..

Jelly Baby
06-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Ok for my previous and current mindees i do them a daily diary which goes home after the day and their EYFS folders which has..well all their EYFS stuff in!

I am starting to look after twins in May and wondered reading on here if i am doing the right thing..reading about learning journals? is this the same as they EYFS folder or should i be doing another one?

One parent was very good at commenting and returning book each day (she has now left) the other not so good and i have now done 3 and am not sure what to do apart from poss a daily sheet as opposed to wasting books?! Hope the twins are better!

Thanks

Shar
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
If your mindees folder has Obs, next steps, photo evidence, pieces of work they have done......all linked to the EYFS then it sounds like a learning journey.

I ask the parents to comment (in writing at the bottom of the Obs sheet) on each Observation that I do which is how I get feedback.

Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Toothfairy
06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Each of my mindee's under EYFS has a learning journal which has; 'All about me' sheets, samples of art work, photo's of outings, Baseline Obs, Observations & next steps and their planning in. This stays with me most of the time and parents get to take it home and comment on it, at the end of each term.
They also have a daily diary which has; what we do each day, food, nappies/potty training, dates, comunication notes and wow moments etc in. This goes home every night and comes back with comments in, each morning.

HTH :thumbsup:

Mrs Argyle
07-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I do the same as Toothfairy.

monkey62
10-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I do the same like Toothfairy. Learning journal I send home in every month and some of my parents write them comments but some of them never bothered.
The daily diaries go home in everyday with children and is coming back in a next day, again some parents add them contribution but most of them just sign.

Hayley G
11-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Panic setting in - I think I have things sussed and then I see something else that baffles me.

I am really struggling to do planning and obs. I have been minding since Jan and have only managed to do a couple of obs for each child (A4 sheet). They are all under 5 and dont want to sit down very long to do structured activities and would really apprechiate some ideas.

Also the learning learney for the baby what sort of things would you put in that?

There ages are 9 months, 23 months & 3.5 years.

How do you do your planning and how frequently do you do it?

I really need help Ofsted inspection 5th May and doubting how well I can do this!:(

BlondeMoment
16-04-2010, 08:54 PM
I am in exactly the same boat Hayley! It's so unclear isn't it. I've been spending hours and hours writing out planning and observations and I feel like I'm writing the same old thing over and over. I feel like I have no life anymore. Once the children have gone home I just find myself sat with pen to paper tearing my hair out as to whether what i am writing had an significance to wat I should be doing, until I go to bed. There has to be a simple straight forward way of record keeping. We already have enough on our hands with keeping accounts books and other such paper work. Lets hope whoever gets in government sorts this mess out and gets us back to actually looking after children, which I'm sure their parents would rather we did than throw continous paper work at them to read or sign on top of their already stressful jobs.
Phew, feel better now LOL. End of rant