PDA

View Full Version : chickens!

Helen Dempster
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I know a few of you on here have chickens, and my hubby is seriously thinking of getting a couple. First of all, those of you that keep them, do you have massive gardens? Our garden is probably medium size, it's not tiny, but it's not huge either. One side is patio and the other side is grass. A friend of mine told me NOT to get chickens as they are really smelly and dirty. Another friend said this isn't true and they're lovely to have and the eggs taste wonderful. I would think they're the same as any other pet, in the hygiene area, as long as you keep them clean/wash hands etc etc?

Any advice from you chicken pros out there? Also are they expensive to buy/keep and what sort of run would be best?

Lots of questions from me as usual! thanks, if you got this far! :thumbsup:

sweets
06-04-2010, 03:16 PM
sorry don't know much abou them apart from the fact that a friend of mine has them, she has a medium sized garden and they have completely wrecked her grass!

beccas
06-04-2010, 03:22 PM
they are not smelly or anythin like thatif you get them from youn g they will become very tame we have some taht now when you come in whether its feeding time they also follow you around if they in thegarden and go back in their house at night. you just need a coop for them and a run.

the eggs are lovely and kids love to collect them.

Hebs
06-04-2010, 03:23 PM
you need to check with your local council to see if they'll allow it as some councils dont allow it :thumbsup:

Toothfairy
06-04-2010, 03:27 PM
My SIL has just had to re-house her chickens, as the neighbours kept complaining of the noise. :(

Shar
06-04-2010, 03:40 PM
My local Pets at home sell them, £18 each:eek: , I'm sure you can get them cheaper from local city farms.

Sounds a great idea, good luck.:thumbsup:

christine e
06-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Think my house deeds say no poultry, pigs or pidgeons

Cx!

bec123
06-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi

I've got 9 chickens - and they are treated like pets. We don't have a huge garden - they are kept in a good size run and I let them out for a run around the garden probably at least twice a week. As long as you keep them regularly cleaned out they shouldn't smell. They do poo a lot though - so once they've been running free range you will need to clean up after them. The eggs they lay are soooo much tastier than any you can buy in the supermarket. So far as childminding is concerned - my mindees love the chickens and like to collect the eggs - have to make sure they wash their hands after as the shells carry the germs.

I would definitely recommend chickens - they are easy to keep and can become very tame. :) Plus I sell their eggs and then the money goes towards their next lot of pellets.

Dragonfly
06-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I have kept chickens for 1 year now they are lovely, they poo alot, wreck your grass if left to wander every where, but are lovely to watch and if you keep on top of things with cleaning not that bad.
Just intrested in other chicken keepers as I have a problem with chickens with bald bums!!! any ideas all you other poultry keepers?

birch24
06-04-2010, 09:13 PM
mine dont seem to have bald bums!! lol.
Are you sure they are not moulting?
Check for lice as they could be pulling their feathers if they are itching in this area.:jump for joy:

sweets
06-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I have kept chickens for 1 year now they are lovely, they poo alot, wreck your grass if left to wander every where, but are lovely to watch and if you keep on top of things with cleaning not that bad.
Just intrested in other chicken keepers as I have a problem with chickens with bald bums!!! any ideas all you other poultry keepers?

sorry no idea but you could try a bit of sudocreme :laughing:

bec123
07-04-2010, 10:56 AM

How many have you got together? Are they all bald or just one or two? They might be being pecked by other chickens - 2 of mine are pecking the other 2 - its to do with the pecking order. Try hanging some stuff in their run to keep them entertained :)

Dragonfly
07-04-2010, 06:41 PM
come out the run 4 times a week.Have hung up sweetcorn, cabbage a parrots seed pecking bell since day 1,,lots of things to climb and perch.run 10 foot by 5 with raised coop so no space taken by that and only 4 chickens which are really spoilt. cant see any lice.