PDA

View Full Version : mindees bringing their own laptop

polly0
06-04-2010, 07:18 AM
My 11 year old mindee brings her laptop in the holidays, but she keeps going on msn and facebook. Would anyone else allow this?? I am not happy about it she has the webcam on it as well:eek:

Pipsqueak
06-04-2010, 07:25 AM
I think its a case of your house your rules.
Sit down with her and work out some 'rules' with her. Give her information on being safe - Ashleighs rules, check out the CEOP website - lots of links to safe internet use etc.

www.thinkuknow.co.uk
www.safenetwork.org.uk

I would talk to the parents as well and get them on side.

Mookins
06-04-2010, 07:25 AM
this is my argument with hubbys ex wife my step daughter is 12 and goes on stuff like that....i dont mind that as im linked friends with her so can sort of keep an eye but i dont like the fact of a webcam

perhaps you should have a chat with her parents about the safety issue regarding her and your other mindees should they be seen!
x x x

singlewiththree
06-04-2010, 07:26 AM
I would get parents permission that they are allowed to do this and that you are not responsible. Otherwise I would ask them to put a block on them for when they are at your house as you don't have time to supervise the sites they visit. Its a tricky one isn't it.

christine e
06-04-2010, 07:43 AM
I would def ban using the webcam as the other children could you filmed in the background and I think that is very very wrong. If you are not happy about the laptop being brought in then you should say so

Cx

polly0
06-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Pipsqueak, thanks for the websites, did'nt know about them, I will have a good read through.

funfunfun
06-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Dont you need to be 16 to actually register on facebook

Had simalar issues @ after school club .

I said no fbook/msn etc

monitored there use on the computer

pinklady
06-04-2010, 08:34 AM
I would def ban using the webcam as the other children could you filmed in the background and I think that is very very wrong. If you are not happy about the laptop being brought in then you should say so

Cx

I totally agree.

You only have to be over 13 to register on FB :eek:

Pipsqueak
06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Pipsqueak, thanks for the websites, did'nt know about them, I will have a good read through.

you are more than welcome.
Personally, though I would prohibit that the use of social networking sites - ie Facebook and the webcam.
my 12yr old is on FB but I monitor it extremely closely and we have set rules - something that you cannot monitor as the mindee is not your child.

The use of MSN is a bit different to FB as its primarily a chat facility. Perhaps you could limit the time and time(s) its used.

I think its a good thing to start teaching children (our own and mindees) about internet safety. there are some excellent resources on those websites from 5yrs upwards. Also have a look on you tube for internet safety videos - they really make the child and you think.

Think the NSPCC has a good online safety section as well.

funfunfun
06-04-2010, 08:40 AM
I totally agree.

You only have to be over 13 to register on FB :eek:

Mindee is only 11 though !!! NO NO NO

if you feel stongly about it id def have a chat and say about facebook

Mention that you know lotsf of age appropriate sites that are available :)

Personlly i wouldnt let them have that long on the laptop

although i can say i have made it one of my policies that children dont bring personal possiseions such as toys games etc as i have everything

Obviuoslly if a child has a comforter in the form of a blanket/teddy that is acceptable .Otherwise no as anything could happen

The Juggler
06-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I would not allow it whilst working - any of those sites, wouldn't want to be responsible really.

bandlady
06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I would let her bring the laptop but i would have rules about its use. I would not let her use the webcam and as someone else said you have to be 13 to use facebook so I would not let her on there whilst being minded.

I would try and keep her busy doing other activities so that she didnot have the time to use her laptop. What I have found helpful in these situations to get the child involved with an activity we are doing and put them in an leadership role and make them feel that they are being of use to me.

It is not always easy looking after older children but I think a bit of give and take goes a long way to making it a less stressful environment.

Denise

Avon
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
My 12 and 13 year olds have FB (had it for about a year) and know that they are not allowed on it when neither myself or my husband are in the room. They use it primarily to keep in contact with their mates, we are Forces so move around quite a bit, and to play Cafe World or Farm Town etc with them. Mine are also not allowed on the computer during the week except for homework reasons (I know, mean mummy!).

I personally would say no laptop, except if she needs it for homework only, because you cannot supervise the sites she is going on as you have other children to look after too. You want her to be safe.

auntym
06-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I would not have a problem with a mindee bringing a laptop. Conditions would b that parents aware and if damaged its not my responsibility. No facebook. No webcam. I would allow msn for a period of time although not too much. But would ensure only on to close friend. There are nice websites she can go on to. Maybe she can bring some pc games from home to? She dosnt need to be sat on it all day but a bit of time on it in the afternoon will do no harm? Hmm please dont make me eat them words lol x

Mookins
06-04-2010, 02:44 PM
can you not stop the internet connection?
just say sure bring your laptop if you want to do homework but you cant have access to internet...whats to say you say no facebook and whilst you doin something shes on it?

x x x

polly0
06-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Mookins, it has a wireless connection so I cant really stop access to the internet, in the morning i was going to tell dad that she can bring it in but only to do her homework on. No social network sites, if she does sneak on it then she wont be allowed to bring it again

Mookins
06-04-2010, 03:48 PM
:( oh...never used one with wireless so didnt know how it worked

x x x

LOOPYLISA
06-04-2010, 03:59 PM
My dd is 12 and has fb since 11, she ONLY has school friends on it, and we monitor VERY closely :thumbsup:

Same goes for msn :thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
06-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Don't give her the wpa key for your internet connection unless she has permission to use the laptop then she can't get on the internet. I would also say an hour at a time with an hours break.

polly0
06-04-2010, 08:39 PM
She must be accessing it through an unsecured network because I don't have a wireless router. The home computer is set up via virgin so that has a secure connection but for a wireless laptop you would have to access through an unsecure line:eek:

The Juggler
06-04-2010, 08:44 PM
She must be accessing it through an unsecured network because I don't have a wireless router. The home computer is set up via virgin so that has a secure connection but for a wireless laptop you would have to access through an unsecure line:eek:

does she have a dongle that she brings (the mobile ones you plug in via usb)

singingcactus
06-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Don't give her the wpa key for your internet connection unless she has permission to use the laptop then she can't get on the internet. I would also say an hour at a time with an hours break.

I was just about to say that lol. But if she has open access to the wireless connection then I guess that you don't have it secured with a code key which means any passer by who is looking for wireless connection can make use of your connection - leaving it and you open to all sorts of abuse. Make sure it is secure and don't give your mindees the code key (cos they can easily make it known to other kids or friends anyway).

babs
06-04-2010, 08:46 PM
she needs your code to set up her laptop to your connection, personally i wouldnt let her have it and say there is plenty of time to use at home...

singingcactus
06-04-2010, 08:48 PM

didn't notice this before. sounds like one of your neighbours has an unsecured wireless set up then, maybe you could work out who it is and let them know.

polly0
06-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Not a clue what you all just said:panic:

Do i set that up on my home computer to stop other people using it???

if so, how??

Chell
06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Not a clue what you all just said:panic:

Do i set that up on my home computer to stop other people using it???

if so, how??

If you don't have a wireless router (thing with flashing lights plugged into your phone line) then she is using a neighbours. When you set up a wireless router it needs to be set so it is secure. Ours is secure so if I bought a new laptop I would have to enter the security key to allow me access to my own wireless.

Not everyone does this. My parents only had pay as you go internet but for over a year they were able to use a neighbours wireless connection. We have no idea whose it was but they hadn't secured it.

polly0
06-04-2010, 09:06 PM
No even if the home one is switched off she can still access it, I am presuming it is my neighbours as he is with virgin and this is what comes up as an insecure line.

So, don't know how to stop it

babs
06-04-2010, 09:14 PM
id go round and ask him and tell him u can assess his internet then he can switch it off... if i click network on my computer it tells me who is connected and if i dont want them connected i click disconnect which im about to do with my son on his xbox was told to be off for 10 :D :D oh im evil .....

youarewhatyoueat
07-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Do you get strange people sat outside in cars lol, A friend of mine kept getting strangers walking past and stood outside their house it wasn't until they realised that their internet was unsecured and the word was out and other people were using it that they made theirs secure.
I would tell the parents that you don't have wireless so not to bring the laptop, end of story.