PDA

View Full Version : chicken pox

ajs
05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
One of my mindees probably has chicken pox and mum has asked will i have her.
I have said yes but wondered whether any of you would too.
We have all had it and although i know it can lead to other viruses like shingles. I am happy to take the risk.

Would you

francinejayne
05-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I think I would have to ask my other parents too, then as long as all parents were happy, and the LO wasn't ill if you know what I mean, then yes I would have them.

AnnieM
05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I must say I have always agreed to look after lo's with chicken pox as long as they are well enough in themselves to be with me. I I find most parents are more than happy for their children to be exposed to it and let's face it they have usually passed it on before you know they've got it anyway. :rolleyes: Unless there was a specific reason for others not to be in contact, or the child is really ill with it, then I don't have a problem.;)

Hebs
05-04-2010, 08:52 PM
i would as long as everyone else is ok about it

shingles is NOT nice, far worse than chickenpox :panic: i had it when i was a teenager, and i still have the spots on my back (little cluster of them) and they get itchy again sometimes AGONY at the time :panic: was awful

Heaven Scent
05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
You won't get shingles and if the rest of your family and other mindees have had it then you would be pretty unlucky to get it again. I would just check with other mums - it can be very dangerous to an unborn baby in the first and last trimesters - therefore I would be inclined to shel ve any plans you may have to go out this week if you have him. They are infectious until the last spot has crusted over and don't be told otherwise but a nice crusty scabby child is no risk to anyone but themselves in that they may be tempted to pick at the scabs and make them bleed. - I hope you like my description :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I would have to consider very carefully as my eldest was in hospital with complications from chicken pox. It was very scarey at the time.

Hebs
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
You won't get shingles

what makes you say that??

I got shingles as a teenager, and hadn't been in contact with anyone who i knew had chickenpox,

if you've had chickenpox you can get shingles :thumbsup:
you can't get shingles if you've not had chickenpox, if you have shingles and come into contact with someone who has not had chickenpox then they will more than likely get chickenpox, as shingles is more contagious than chickenpox itself :thumbsup:

sweets
05-04-2010, 09:16 PM
you cannot get shingles from chicken pox but you can get chicken pox from shingles:(

berkschick
05-04-2010, 09:18 PM
One of mine had ot last week and I did not have her.

All my children have had it, Lewis has had it twice! And my other mindees would have been exposed to it before she even realised she had it! But I said I would not have her until she was no longer infectious.

There was no way I was spending a week inside! I ffelt it unfair on the other mindees to miss toddlers, soft play etc and also needed to be able to do the school run!

LOOPYLISA
05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
I know you can get it more than once :(

green puppy
05-04-2010, 11:22 PM
I would not take the child, if I did I would be ignoring my own sickness and exclusion policy and I would knowingly be putting my other mindees at risk. Chicken pox is not nice and can sometimes lead to serious complications, it has an exclusion period for a reason. I also wouldn't be able o take the children out which is unfair, an ill or infectious child is better off in the comfort of their own home. What will you do for the school run if you have to do one, chicken pox is very infectious and a child should be away from others for atleast 4-5 days.

angeldelight
06-04-2010, 05:50 AM
I would not have the child

My own children were really ill with the pox and 2 of them got it twice and were really poorly
I wouldnt wish that on anyone

I know my parents wouldnt like it either

I generally tend to go with what schools and nurseries do - and they dont have them with the pox so I dont either

Hope the little one gets better soon

Angel xx

Hebs
06-04-2010, 06:11 AM
you cannot get shingles from chicken pox but you can get chicken pox from shingles:(

I know that's what I said x

ajs
06-04-2010, 12:15 PM
interesting to read your opinions thanks

she has very few spots and is very well in herself
we have no school runs or toddler groups to do anyway as it's the holidays so noone is missing out on anything, we've been for a walk this morning and are having a dvd afternoon so she can sleep hopefully, i only have her today and tomorrow anyway and as long as she doesn't get worse i will have her tomorrow too.

The Juggler
06-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I would not take the child, if I did I would be ignoring my own sickness and exclusion policy and I would knowingly be putting my other mindees at risk. Chicken pox is not nice and can sometimes lead to serious complications, it has an exclusion period for a reason. I also wouldn't be able o take the children out which is unfair, an ill or infectious child is better off in the comfort of their own home. What will you do for the school run if you have to do one, chicken pox is very infectious and a child should be away from others for atleast 4-5 days.

plus you won't be able to go out and in the holidays with extra children I would get serious cabin fever. you shouldn't be in the park as there may be pregnant mums etc.

sillysausage
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
you cannot get shingles from chicken pox but you can get chicken pox from shingles

That's not what my doctor said when DS got shingles. He got shingles when chicken pox was doing the rounds (2 mindees had chicken pox in the month running up to him getting shingles). Luckily he was only 7 at the time and apparently shingles in children is usually less of a problem than in adults. He didn't suffer any itchiness or pain at all, just lines of spots in his groin creases and small of his back.

I will care for children with chickenpox only if every one of the remaining parents has said it's ok. 2 mindees had chicken pox last November. The parents of my other 2 little ones were hoping theirs would get it but somehow they didn't. One of my mindees must have a natural immunity because he's been exposed to chicken pox (on a daily basis for a week) on three occasions whilst at mine and not yet had it.

Rubybubbles
06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
No I wouldn't:)

My own 2 haven't had chicken pox, even though the amount of children who have been my setting that have had it is not even funny as mine still not caught it!

I, like Angel follow the same guidlines as the schools on exclusions, from the Dept of health website:thumbsup:

I am dreading it coming if mine get it too! But I do (and don't) want them to get it! They are 8 and 5 now!

Trouble
06-04-2010, 03:07 PM
ive had chicken pox twice so have both my kids hubbys hasnt had any times so i would say no :panic: as he is self employed and it would be a nightmare:eek:

but if you have all had it and everyone if fine about it then yes but i would avoid public places:thumbsup:

mamasheshe
06-04-2010, 06:45 PM
I'd say no as it could affect other familys in my setting

Heaven Scent
07-04-2010, 10:25 PM
What are you jumping down my throat for? - I only meant that in the context of this thread Mandy won't get shingles from a child having Chicken Pox - but I am more than aware that if she has had the virus herself then she could develop shingles at any time - one of the subjects I used to lecture on was childhood illnesses and for some reason ~chicken pox used to be the students favourite one to research and I've had shingles myself. Although it is possible in rare cases to pass Chicken pox on if you have shingles it is rare and unlikely as the virus is usually passes on through contact and as the shingles rash is often on the trunk of the body it is usually covered by clothing. If you never had chicken pox you will not develop shingles. It is also quite possible that a child can have chickeb pox without their parents realising (again its rare) because some children only develop one or 2 spots and so its difficult for doctors to confirm that the child has the virus.

what makes you say that??

I got shingles as a teenager, and hadn't been in contact with anyone who i knew had chickenpox,

if you've had chickenpox you can get shingles :thumbsup:
you can't get shingles if you've not had chickenpox, if you have shingles and come into contact with someone who has not had chickenpox then they will more than likely get chickenpox, as shingles is more contagious than chickenpox itself :thumbsup:

LittleAcorns
08-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Although it is possible in rare cases to pass Chicken pox on if you have shingles it is rare and unlikely as the virus is usually passes on through contact and as the shingles rash is often on the trunk of the body it is usually covered by clothing.

I was one of those rare ones unfortunately and caught chicken pox at the age of 25, I worked in a Nursing home and cared for a man with Shingles, I was misinformed by the district nurse that it wasnt possible to catch Chicken pox fom him but was still very careful, he was confined to his room and had the rash on his neck, although I thought I'd been careful with wearing gloves I must not have been 100%
I became very ill indeed and needed 2 weeks off work :panic:

Another story...my dd caught Chickenpox at the age of 19months and was fine with it, but 2 weeks later ended up in ICU, whether that was a direct link to complications caused by CP we'll never know...

Having CP later in life was horrendous but then seeing Amber so poorly after was very scary!

Personally I think its a case of getting as many facts as possible and making a choice based on the circumstances....I would take a child who's spots had scabbed over completely

Hebs
08-04-2010, 05:27 AM
What are you jumping down my throat for?

I'm not jumping down your throat, just saying what I think or am I not supposed to do that?

happydays1
08-04-2010, 03:49 PM
i didnt think we were allowed to look after children who were infectious, anyway i have to be really careful as i look after a little one with additional needs so would be a deff no:)

Dragonfly
08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
One of my mindees had complications from chicken pox and ended up in hospital. before this I used to take children after a couple of days of having it or when they felt better, but now it will be a deff NO, not until the spots are scabbed over.
I have never thought chicken pox parties (OR WHAT EVER YOU LIKE TO CALL THEM) are a good thing, do people like their chicken being ill?? kids getting ill on their own accord okay but incouraging it No. I have never had chicken box ( in late 40's) if i get now fair game but I wouldnt go in a room on purpose with a person with it.(my kids had it when they were young).
Every one to there own i surpose.