PDA

View Full Version : school holidays for after schoolers

applesmum
19-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi All

I am just about up and running and have gone back to my 3 enquiries who are all asking questions I don't know the answers to!!!

I just wondered what to do in school holiday time for before and after school mindees - I said to one mum that I wouldn't charge for school hols but I would take a deposit at the end of summer term to keep the childs place for September start....is this right - does it sound fair? Can anyone help?

I have more questions but will post it separately to give new title!

Thanks in advance. x x

angeldelight
19-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry I cant really help with this one

My before and after schoolers do not come during holidays but I dont take a retainer / or deposit

I have other children during the school holidays that cover for them so it never bothers me

I know a lot do take a deposit though to keep the place open so I am sure someone will let you know how much they charge

Angel xx

avril
19-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I have a school age child who doesn't come in the holidays and take a half fee retainer to keep the place open. Parents seem happy with his, remember deposits are fundable state retainer.

Avril x:)

sarah707
19-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't charge unless I work - I take the time out with my own children at the moment but in the past I have done a holiday club which was great fun :D

miffy
20-03-2008, 07:33 AM
If a parent doesn't need a place at all during school holidays I charge a retainer of £5.00 a week to keep the place for them

It's up to you what suits you best

Miffy xx

manjay
20-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Two of my parents are teachers so they very rarely need me during school hols. I charge a 50% retainer to keep their space.

amanda xx

susi513
21-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't charge retainers for school children during the school holidays but they all pay in advance. So for weekly payers, their payment this week is for childcare during the first week back after Easter, and their next payment is not due until they are back to school. I've put in the contracts that where a payment date occurs during a holiday the parent agrees to make their payment prior to the commencement of the holiday, unless they've arranged automatic payments.

Twinkles
21-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Six of my mindees belong to teachers so if I didn't charge a retainer ( I charge 50% ) I would be skint come September. I have just taken on two rising fives for holiday only care from September so that will help with the money.

deeb66
22-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't have any school aged children at the moment but when I did I used to charge 50% retainer to ensure that the place is still there come September.

Don't forget that if you charge a retainer then you must be available to work for that period of time should the parent want you to......you need to remember this if you take on other children during the school holidays!

applesmum
22-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't have any school aged children at the moment but when I did I used to charge 50% retainer to ensure that the place is still there come September.

Don't forget that if you charge a retainer then you must be available to work for that period of time should the parent want you to......you need to remember this if you take on other children during the school holidays!

Thanks for the great advice - can I just ask .... should I therefore ask for a deposit if I get holiday care - but doesn't a deposit mean it can be refunded - I just want to try and make sure that I don't get into the situation of keeping a place for it to then not be needed at late notice - I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to just be very trusting for the parents!!!! :D

miffy
22-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question but a deposit is usually held against future fees but is not refundable if the person fails to take up the place.

Is that what you meant?

Miffy xx