PDA

View Full Version : Dyslexia

Pipsqueak
19-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Does anyone know of any good sites regarding Dyslexia please or anywhere I can approach for information please.

Thank you

smartypants
19-03-2008, 08:19 PM
I found this site very helpful for my daughter

http://www.dore.co.uk/?c1=AW:UK&source=Dyslexia:Dyslexia:S:H1&kw=dyslexia

angeldelight
19-03-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.dyslexics.org.uk/

http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
19-03-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks guys for the replies.

Smarty - can I ask is your daughter dyslexic? How do you go about finding out? Did you suspect anything?

ajs
19-03-2008, 09:14 PM
british dyslexia association will assess your child
you do have to pay but the assessment is about 3 hours long and very thorough
sam is mildly dyslexic which we discovered by having him assessed by them but not enough to get us any support

Trouble
20-03-2008, 04:36 PM
my daughter has dyslexia,
i attend the dyslexia meeting 1 night a montha and they are very helpful

also speak to the person at parents in partnership they are very helpful when dealing with kids and their schools

also their is a website called 1 am dyslexic bit a boy who was 8 it helps with learning to do with spellings

sarah707
20-03-2008, 06:11 PM
I would recommend getting an independent test and paying for it... that way you have a quick result and your child, if necessary, can start accessing help straight away.

I have known too many children get through to senior school without a diagnosis and by then they are often no longer keen to learn as they have been told off so many times for getting things wrong, their love for reading and writing etc has often gone. :(

Trouble
20-03-2008, 06:13 PM
british dyslexia association will assess your child
you do have to pay but the assessment is about 3 hours long and very thorough
sam is mildly dyslexic which we discovered by having him assessed by them but not enough to get us any support

my daughter is mildly dyslexic

Heaven Scent
20-03-2008, 06:52 PM
I agree with Sarah - I don't know why schools are so reluctant to get children assessed but I think its far easier for teachers to decide that they are slow and stupid than for them to give them a fair chance most of these children are never seen by the senco FE colleges get tonnes of funding for learner support when it is far too late because most of these poor kids feel like failures because their primary and secondary schools made them feel like that - don't get me started on this one. I've got to go out soon for a smear or I'd be on my flippin soap box - beg steal or borow if you have to and get you child assessed as soon as you can afford to.

Trouble
20-03-2008, 06:57 PM
it costs £160 for a dyslexic ass

the ed phscologis is about £400

mamapink
20-03-2008, 07:00 PM

hello
i have just done the quick test they had for my youngest dd who is almost 7 and it said that the was a high probability which i have thought for a while and a friend who 11 year old is dyslexic and has adhd pulled me aside one day after her little ones birthday party and said that had i ever thought about it and yes i have but the school do not want to think about it until she is 7 but when the sats come around i do not want her to take part as i know after writing her name she will be stuck her weekly spellings are just a copying excersive for her as she can never learn them i had her teacher last year tell me at the end of the year she was stubbon i said no she is struggling

and was told she is very bright in all areas except reading writing and maths
she will listen to what the teachers are saying and asks intelligent questions
but when it time to do the work sheets it might as well be written in martian to my dd she then either gets upset or what is now starting to happen she mucks around and is starting to get into trouble i have a meeting next week with her teacher .
bye pink:p

Trouble
20-03-2008, 07:07 PM
hello
i have just done the quick test they had for my youngest dd who is almost 7 and it said that the was a high probability which i have thought for a while and a friend who 11 year old is dyslexic and has adhd pulled me aside one day after her little ones birthday party and said that had i ever thought about it and yes i have but the school do not want to think about it until she is 7 but when the sats come around i do not want her to take part as i know after writing her name she will be stuck her weekly spellings are just a copying excersive for her as she can never learn them i had her teacher last year tell me at the end of the year she was stubbon i said no she is struggling

and was told she is very bright in all areas except reading writing and maths
she will listen to what the teachers are saying and asks intelligent questions
but when it time to do the work sheets it might as well be written in martian to my dd she then either gets upset or what is now starting to happen she mucks around and is starting to get into trouble i have a meeting next week with her teacher .
bye pink:p

most children who have dyslexia have a very high IQ but not in some things and this is how the teachers should pick it up
they should start to help her now not wait they have been delaying my daughter since reception and now shes in year 6
also they should give her work to her ability not what everyone else is doing

my k is getting extra help and time in the sats but the helper reads the sats to her
this will give a false reading
and they say shes not that bad at reading and spelling?
i know kids who are far more behind than her but they dont have help so she must have a problem

sorry i dont believe in teachers anymore

Pipsqueak
20-03-2008, 07:47 PM
This is actually for my son and he has some classic pointers.

He is beginning to struggle more and more with his reading and writing and has now gone of it all completely whereas before he was quite happy and tried so very hard.

Teachers have not picked up on any of it although he was referred to the SEN dept at school last year and then they decided not to give him the extra help as they thought they could do ok in class.

I have constantly queried about dyslexia from about 5years old (he is coming up - rising;) 8years).

I approached the SEN teacher today who is a lovely lady, after reading information on the links you guys gave (the free dore test said he had a very high probability of being dyslexic), she really listened and said if I had a concerned she will look into it and would I like the school to arrange a test - which she produced the form there and then - I signed and it will be arranged for the coming few weeks. At least it will tell me one way or another.

thanks everyone

Trouble
20-03-2008, 07:51 PM
This is actually for my son and he has some classic pointers.

He is beginning to struggle more and more with his reading and writing and has now gone of it all completely whereas before he was quite happy and tried so very hard.

Teachers have not picked up on any of it although he was referred to the SEN dept at school last year and then they decided not to give him the extra help as they thought they could do ok in class.

I have constantly queried about dyslexia from about 5years old (he is coming up - rising;) 8years).

I approached the SEN teacher today who is a lovely lady, after reading information on the links you guys gave (the free dore test said he had a very high probability of being dyslexic), she really listened and said if I had a concerned she will look into it and would I like the school to arrange a test - which she produced the form there and then - I signed and it will be arranged for the coming few weeks. At least it will tell me one way or another.

thanks everyone

at least some one is on your side

when it comes back yes he is the teachers who have treated him like a catch up kid will be sorry (to put it politely)for not taking notice of you

i think you instincts tell you something is wrong and i think you son is telling you something is wrong as he has given up

my k is so stressed at the moment as she is studying for her sats but cant cop, and is taking it out on us. she spent 1 1/2 today constantly sobbing

thank god its the holidays

Pipsqueak
20-03-2008, 07:55 PM
oh rascal that is heartbreaking to hear about K. I think its awful that children should get in a state about schoolwork like that.

I have pushed home to my children that I (personally) do not give a stuff about sats results, they are only to see how well the teachers are teaching and league tables and they matter not a jot.
Perhaps a bit harsh but I don't agree with this "testing" of children especially at such a young age.

Cammie Doodle
20-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Please please please get the help for your daughter, my son struggled for years without help (as he was a well behaved child that did not make a fuss, school words not mine :rolleyes: ) Anyway by the time they listened to us he was in High School !!!!! :censored: and as Sarah says he was not interested in school anymore. To be fair it has not held him back he is now a head chef at the age of 24 (Emler knows the hotel he works at) and we are very proud of him, because a teacher once told him "that he would never be a Chef because of his Dyslexia.
Because of our experience when our nephew showed the same signs as our son (mixing up letters words etc) my sister was adament and demanded testing etc, he has had help all the way through school inc extra tution.
And if she is Dyslexic tell her it wont stop her from doing anything she wants in life, look at Richard Branson
Sorry its soooooo long winded but its something very close to my heart:blush:

Trouble
20-03-2008, 07:57 PM
oh rascal that is heartbreaking to hear about K. I think its awful that children should get in a state about schoolwork like that.

I have pushed home to my children that I (personally) do not give a stuff about sats results, they are only to see how well the teachers are teaching and league tables and they matter not a jot.
Perhaps a bit harsh but I don't agree with this "testing" of children especially at such a young age.

you and me both

the thing that annoys me is their getting someone to read the sats to her which will give them a good score:angry: :angry:

so at the seneor school they wont take her seriously:angry:

i can honestly say i am dreading september:mad:

Trouble
20-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Please please please get the help for your daughter, my son struggled for years without help (as he was a well behaved child that did not make a fuss, school words not mine :rolleyes: ) Anyway by the time they listened to us he was in High School !!!!! :censored: and as Sarah says he was not interested in school anymore. To be fair it has not held him back he is now a head chef at the age of 24 (Emler knows the hotel he works at) and we are very proud of him, because a teacher once told him "that he would never be a Chef because of his Dyslexia.
Because of our experience when our nephew showed the same signs as our son (mixing up letters words etc) my sister was adament and demanded testing etc, he has had help all the way through school inc extra tution.
And if she is Dyslexic tell her it wont stop her from doing anything she wants in life, look at Richard Branson
Sorry its soooooo long winded but its something very close to my heart:blush:

her school told me they refer her to the ed pshycologist so i rang up both lists she should of been on and hey she wasnt on either

but after the sats the ed phsy is going to pay the school a visit and they wont beable to do anything about it and she is aware of the torture weve had with not 1 but 3 schools who said she would catch up
we have paid thousand in private help and that is why she is not as bad as she should be and that is why they wont help her because we did!!!!!

i could cry now as it makes me sooooooo mad as the way they are treating her
the other day i couldnt get her into school as she was so upset and it turns out she cant cope so i went straight to the head and her teacher but they are fobbing us off now as she only has 4 more months left their

angeldelight
21-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Rascal hope you get things sorted out

Hope you and your daughter are ok?

Vik glad someone is listening to you - keep us posted

Angel xx

Cammie Doodle
23-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh Rascal, my heart goes out to you. Wish I could help. :panic: