PDA

View Full Version : HELP FOR THOSE WITH PONDS

Mookins
03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
have just found this website which look fab.... i previously asked on here about pond safety and someone kindly warned me that Ofsted like to see that its safe enough to stand on...have just found this website http://www.pondsafety.com/index.html after trwling through many with extortionate prices these look great so thought i would share the link especially as at £5 +vat per square meter installed cant be bad and as its a neccesity its claimable through tax x x x

Johanna
03-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi,
We got a massive pond in our garden. 14m in lenght and 8m W. I though I won't be register because of pond and at first was not sure what to do or what option to go for. At my childminding brief meeting I was told that I would need a safety net over that would carry a adult wait. Most options I look at was expencive but after doing allot of research and calling ofsted it turn out I didn't need a safety net or over £5000 expencive fencing.

During my chip course I was still very unsure and ask Lady if I should just wait till ofsted come and see what they say. Her reply to me was.. Rather do the fencing before the inspection.

We now have 1.2m high picket fence solid in ground with gates and locks. Gaps have to be less then 100mm. it cost about a £1000 for all of the work and fencing. It's lovely to see the pond still after I also consider fencing the garden off in half . We have deer, ducks and heron visiting the pond during the day which I think is a great experience for children.

It works and it's safe. I do have a little two year old myself so I any case check the pond fencing everyday before I let him out and weekends he helps my husband clearing the leaves out of the pond.

Had my pre reg visit 15 Feb and Ofsted was pleased and love the pond. She said we are very lucky to have that in our garden and as long as we do risk assesment it's perfect. She also said that we can take children inside the area of pond so they can play with net ect, supervised and we have to do risk assesment for that as well. Not sure I will with other peoples children.

Hope that helps in any way. :)

Mookins
04-04-2010, 01:04 PM
oooh...sounds fab...we get laods of wildlife but the biggest is the fat pigeons that bath in it!

ours isnt quite as big as yoursours is actually more like a puddle but got told that it would have to be made safe with more than a fence...perhaps il ring ofsted see what they say

thanks for the info

x x x

Johanna
04-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Do check with ofsted. I have found that everyone tell you different things. Also change from inspector to inspector. As long as you can show proof of how you going to keep the children safe.

Good luck!!!!

Johanna

Johanna
04-04-2010, 01:58 PM
If the pond is fenced it
must be of such a height and design that makes it unclimbable by young children. This is
usually achieved through a vertical railed fence with bars no more than 100mm apart, this
barrier would need to be no less than 1.1m in height, if it followed the safety principles of the
building regulations. If a gate provides access, it must be of a similar design to the fence and be
kept locked shut. Specific swimming pool gates have been designed with extended latch
mechanisms (which are out of reach of children).

In the end you need to feel comfortable. Will you be relax if children are outside with pond fenced or are you still going to panic?

Johanna